Carrying with one in the chamber - Why it's ok NOT to!

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by pook, Jan 5, 2012.

1. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

With an empty chamber, an 'unavailable' support hand certainly extends the 'time to first shot', doesn't it? (Re: Post #155)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Ten Man likes this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man Active Member

AWESOME POST!!

Anyone that watches that video and still thinks they are better suited with empty chamber carry, needs to REALLY re-evaluate their decision making process on this question.

To my way of thinking, carrying a CCW firearm without a round chambered and ready to fire, would be like waiting until you see that you are going to be in an auto accident to put your seat belt on.

Emergencies do NOT make appointments.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Danzig and MWJOHNSON like this.

3. MWJOHNSON

MWJOHNSON Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member Supporter

SE Texas
    While I agree with you 100%, there are people out there that are just not comfortable with carrying one in the chamber. As long as they train that way, they should be good

Again I am not disagreeing with you, show pointing out a different side.

4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas

In advanced training, the 21 foot rule with knives is usually demonstrated. Some schools have said you need to be further than 21 feet to successfully defend against a knife attack with a handgun. As in the video above distance is your friend in such situations. I believe adding the extra steps of chambering a round would make any of the scenarios shown unsuccessful to defend against.

Ten Man, TheKraken and rbbeers like this.
  5. rbbeers

Many years ago, I completed several intermediate and advanced self defense handgun courses during which we engaged a cardboard target moving toward us from 21 feet at typical adult male running speed.

The drill was to put two rounds on target in the A zone before the target was 'on top of us'.

We performed the drill both from open carry and from our preferred concealed carry style with our handguns fully loaded and holstered.

For students who had never performed the drill, the results were quite shocking... and rather humbling.

Even those of us who knew what to expect had 'problems'.

To Danzig's point, having to chamber a round before 'shooting the bad guy' would have been disastrous.

Fortunately, in this case, the consequences of failure was only being smacked in the face by a cardboard target... not serious injury or death.

Just sayin'...

Best regards,

Bob

Southlake, Ten Man, Danzig and 2 others like this.
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man Active Member

As has been said several times in this thread, if they are "not comfortable" carrying with a round chambered, they need more training and more practice. I'll add they possibly need a different gun.

As you were agreeing, you made the statement, "As long as they train that way, they should be good." Not to be impolite, but I must ask: How does training that way eliminate the need to rack the slide, which requires two hands, and takes extra time before being able to get a shot off? All the scenarios in the videos posted by Danzig effectively demonstrate how dangerous, or possibly deadly, that can be.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but are we so PC these days that we are not allowed to point out people's lack of understanding, training, or experience that may be deadly to them? If that is the case, what would be the point of even discussing this topic?

These days, everyone is allowed to be "right." The only problem with that is that some people end up dead right, as we saw in the videos. That is their choice. It just seems to me that the intelligent thing to do would be to learn from the folks that have gone before.

Ultimately, as I said before, there is no greater penalty for wrong practices, or decisions, or lack of training, than death.

MWJOHNSON, Danzig and Glockfinger like this.
  7. rbbeers

My extended family includes those who carry 'fully loaded' to those who 'see no redeeming value' for firearms... and everything in between.

When we discuss such topics, given that all of us are strong in our convictions and that none of us is willing to be 'preached to and converted', whenever possible, we've learned to avoid such terms as 'right' and 'wrong'.

Instead, we talk in terms of 'consequences'.

Those who have the conviction that they must carry with an empty chamber certainly have the God-given right to do so... but that decision has consequences.

That said, I think those consequences have been clearly discussed in this thread.

Personally, understanding those consequences, I truly hope that those who feel the need to carry with an empty chamber 'do what they need to do' to allow them to carry with a chambered round... the unwanted consequences of a 'close encounter of the worst kind' are quite severe.

All of us must be fully prepared to accept the consequences of our convictions... whatever they may be... and, if we don't like the possible consequences of our decisions, then we need to make the necessary changes.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

My extended family have all agreed to come to my house in the event of a life threatening attack.

TheKraken and rbbeers like this.
  9. MisterX

MisterX New Member

The defender in the video presented in post #164 doesn't understand or at least doesn't demonstrate proper movement or unarmed skills, which are almost always necessary against a knife. If you don't have them, there is a very good chance you're getting shanked regardless of the condition of your weapon.

C1 is tactically better than C3 except maybe if you were disarmed, but there are always trade-offs no matter what and you can't be prepared for everything. There have been numerous incidents of semi-autos malfunctioning in contact scenarios. You could argue that you shouldn't carry an autoloader and are a fool if you do based on those incidents and instead opt for an enclosed hammer revolver as being the most sensible choice. You have to decide what's reasonable based on odds, stats and what's your likely to come up against as an armed civilian, but you'll always come up short somewhere.

10. rbbeers

I'm assuming that you're referring to the slide of a semi-automatic pistol being pushed out of battery so that it won't fire... or that the slide is 'bound' and short cycles, rendering the pistol 'dead' after the first round is fired until the slide is manually cycled.

Similarly, if the cylinder of a revolver is jammed, grabbed, or otherwise kept from rotating, a revolver won't fire.

Both may be rendered inoperable during a 'contact scenario'... neither type of handgun is 100% reliable under such conditions.

Just sayin'...

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Danzig likes this.
  11. Southlake

That about settles it.

Guns are useless!

All any bad guy needs do is hold the cylinder of your revolver or push the slide out of battery and simultaneously stab you in the eye with his tactical blue bic pen and he wins.

I will be offering tactical blue bic pens online at the discounted price of $200.

Yes, that's right!

You can now purchase exclusively, "only from me", right here on the GF, 2 tactical blue bic pens for the low low price of 1 blue label G19. If you'd prefer to trade your used faulty G19, then I'll trade you 2 tactical bic pens, for your used faulty G19 plus cash, on your end.

PM me with offers.

[​IMG]

12. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Bwhahahahah….

Southlake likes this.
  13. rbbeers

Are free lessons on how to properly use them included in the purchase price? :rolleyes:

Or, are lessons extra?

"Inquiring minds need to know!" :D

Best regards,

Bob

MWJOHNSON and Southlake like this.
  14. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

But that opens a whole new can of worms, doesn’t it..? I mean, why blue and not the ballistically-superior red or stealth black? Then someone will bring up the perennial ‘standard vs. gel’ controversy, the ‘harder-hitting medium point vs. better-penetrating fine point’, etc.

And eventually the debate will center around carry modes - the tactically superior ‘condition one open’ vs. the more carry-friendly ‘condition three capped’, and we’re right back where we started...

Ten Man, Southlake and TheKraken like this.
  15. rbbeers

Personally, I think I'll manage just fine with this...

Bob's G19.4 1a.jpg

... my Blue Label G19 'black, medium-point pen'. :D

Works for me. ;)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Southlake likes this.
  16. Southlake

Because demand has gone viral, please ref. “TBBP/GFF” in your PM.

FAQ:
    Q:Can it also be used as a writing instrument?
    A:Yes

Q:Will other versions be offered?
    A: Yes, we are currently working on the Shadow Black series. There will be a small increase for the Shadow Line

Q:Will there be tutorials?
    Y: In addition to full color placard tutorials included with each purchase, we are working on full30 videos.

17. rbbeers

ROTFLMAO!!! :D

Southlake likes this.
  18. Southlake

Rendering of the Shadow Line:

upload_2019-3-13_11-21-1.jpeg

MWJOHNSON and rbbeers like this.
  19. Southlake

Actual Shadow Line dimensions may differ.

MWJOHNSON likes this.
  20. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

The old adage applies, "If you don't carry chambered, you might spend the rest of your life rackin the slide"!

Ten Man likes this.