Carrying with one in the chamber - Why it's ok NOT to!

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by pook, Jan 5, 2012.

1. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly. Maybe we should just allow that Cooper's 1911 'conditions' or 'states of readiness' are valid for 1911's but not glocks (or hammerless revolvers, or HK P7's, or ruger P89's, or VP70's, etc) since the manual(s) of arms is so different between them. I'd give the nod to semantic tolerance and change the wording of "hammer down" to "uncocked"; which glocks (and DAO semiautos, hammerless revolvers, etc) inherently are unless you're in the process of pulling the trigger.

And if we're being literal, they can't be in ANY of those conditions, for that matter. Chamber-loaded on a glock (imo) "kind of" equates to condition two because it's uncocked; but it also "kind of" equates to condition zero because it's ready to fire with only a trigger pull, but that can also be said of the very different Beretta 92D and the even-more-different S&W centennial revolver. Progress and technological advances mandate changes in usage.

Personally I carry mine chamber-loaded, but to each his own. When I first started carrying a mini-1911 with no grip safety (detonics in the 80's), I actually carried it as a backup for several weeks; still carrying my primary gun in the meantime until I got to the point of trusting the new one. I carried it cocked & locked with an empty chamber for those weeks, to see if it ever would have an AD/ND, since I'd never used one without grip safety before. It never failed, so I finally switched to it and carried it normal condition one, and all was good. So I won't give people too much grief if they want to 'ease into' the ccw thing, if that's what gets them doing it calmly and confidently. Again, to each his own.

Southlake likes this.
  2. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Second thought - On a glock or similar pistol that has no manual safety, no hammer, and no visual or tactile indication of the trigger being manipulated, I can really understand people's thoughts about the dangers while re-holstering. Frankly, about the only time I have concerns with a glock is during reholstering. We've all seen videos of people putting away their glocks or M&P shields or similar that had ND's because of some stray piece of clothing or such getting in the way and activating the trigger. Yes, they should watch the gun when re-holstering, and yes it's "their fault" because they didn't ensure a constantly clear path into the holster for the entire process. I get that and am not minimizing it.

But if I can avoid that possibility and give a glock the ability to let me know when reholstering that something is impacting the trigger, I think that’s a good thing. We old guys used to make a habit of keeping our thumb behind the hammer of a revolver or DA auto when reholstering, for this very reason – to let us know that something (shirt tail, zipper pull, empty brass, whatever) was trying to pull the trigger as we holstered.

So… that’s what I ended up doing with my two most-carried glocks. Not that a glock needs a manual safety, any more than a DA revolver needs one. But just as a way for the gun to be able to tell me “hey dummy, my trigger is moving” when I’m reholstering:

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/03/19/shoot-glock-check-gadget/
    [​IMG]

I’ve had it on them for a while now and am very happy with it. It makes holstering a glock aiwb less disconcerting for me personally. And again as above, ymmv and to each his own.

Minister, CCSir and Southlake like this.

3. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

4. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

An empty gun is really just an ammunition storage device. If you are going to carry, carry hot, 24/7. You never unload a carry gun, except to clean it, then you have another carry gun hot on. The only safety any shooter has is the one that connects your brain to your finger, doesn't matter how many buttons are on the gun. Use Master Grip when you are not shooting, even a girl can do it. And Cooper did know about Glocks later in his life, because I went thru GunSite in 1992 with a G23, only one there, and the only one to run all 2,220 rounds during the week without issues. And even though the isosceles stance had long replaced the weaver stance in competition, which had replaced the old one handed Army stance, Cooper never adopted that either.

Here is a good read.
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/shooting-stance-grip/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    MWJOHNSON, Danzig and Southlake like this.
  5. CCSir

CCSir Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohio

To each, their own. Carry how you’re comfortable because in the end only you can determine what’s best for your situation.

I’ll keep one in the chamber. You don’t want to? Ok. I’m not you. You’re not me. Only you can determine your comfort level.

Minister and MWJOHNSON like this.
  6. docster

docster Active Member

IMHO of course it's OK not to have one in the chamber but no one is forced too. Whatever the carrier is comfortable and TRAINS with. I'm relatively new to Glocks so still training with them but all my non-Glock carry guns have a round ready to go.

7. Mitchell Ota

Mitchell Ota Active Member

This doesn't work to well with Glocks, which have no thumb safeties.

8. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

Nor does a Glock have a grip safety.... I don't have a problem with anyone carrying a not hot gun, as long as they are nowhere near me....

Chambered, Toni77 and Danzig like this.
  9. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I had an officer resign cause he wasn't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber...or being a cop for that matter.
    A police officer relies on their backup officers to be ready for a deadly encounter. When it's time to shoot you won't have the luxury of racking a round in the chamber to use the gun.
    Civilians and citizens carrying a firearm for defense can carry without one in the chamber, they are responsible for themselves and assume the risk.
    I understand the fear of people unfamiliar and new to carrying a firearm wanting to keep the chamber empty but at some point they should have faith in their equipment to carry the firearm correctly (with a round in the chamber).
    A proper holster that covers the trigger should be sufficient to ensure safe carry of a loaded firearm.

Glockfinger, SBH, CCSir and 2 others like this.
  10. Southlake

[​IMG]

Danzig likes this.
  11. Mitchell Ota

Mitchell Ota Active Member

When I get my G17 back from the local police, I will carry it in a Glock plastic holster on my right hip.

12. Overkill338

Overkill338 Proponet of High Velocity Supporter

Wowwww!! Someone went through BLET and all that work, and wasnt comfortable with a loaded gun ?! Sounds like he needs to be a Democrat body guard.

13. Danzig

Texas
    You'd be surprised the amount of people that make it all the way through only to find out they can't hack it one way or another.

Overkill338 likes this.
  14. Overkill338

I always wanted to. Then when I was 27, the local PD told me I was too old.

15. Danzig

Texas
    Age ain't got nothing to do with it. It's ability and wanting to do it.

16. Chambered

Chambered Well-Known Member Supporter

I personally carry "Chambered", huh who would have ever thunk given my user name. Just remember the bad guy or girl who is going to harm to you than it's already in their plans and mindset to do so, thus they have the upper hand before you can even react. That's when situational awareness should have alerted you to the threat. Training your draw, clearing your garments, running the gun, off hand work, etc., all of it is never enough.

Southlake likes this.
  17. Overkill338

18. Overkill338

I didnt know this had a name. I always hold a handgun with my trigger finger laid on the outside of the frame. Always have. I didn't know people needed to be taught to do this.

Keep the booger hook off the bang switch until its go time. Simple.

Glockfinger, Chambered and Danzig like this.
  19. Danzig

Texas

Glockfinger and Southlake like this.
  20. Southlake

Poor Marvin.