Carrying with one in the chamber - Why it's ok NOT to!

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by pook, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

upload_2019-11-21_12-15-32.jpeg

2. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

How about an unarmed MMA fighter attacking at cop at 21 feet? Yup, one of our local PD's invited an MMA guy to the academy and had him set upon the officers. It was not pretty. After he got the best of 5 of the younger guys, nobody wanted to play anymore. However it clearly illustrated what can happen. The brass was shocked!

Of course, in CA today, we have what's called "was it really necessary" to use deadly force? I'm not going to let him kill my partner first...

Southlake and Danzig like this.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    California and other locales are giving in to forces that are clearly trying to diminish societal norms and neuter law enforcement. A big mistake. Once the radicals taste success they are only emboldened to demand more of their agenda be instituted.

Since we are touching on open carry and there are new members not aware of past threads. A little statistic. Years ago when I was in law enforcement we would get an annual report of all the officers killed across the United States and the method of their deaths. Roughly half were killed in vehicle accidents and the other half were killed in firearm related deaths. Of those firearm deaths about half were killed with their own firearm. My take is, that if a law enforcement officer that has many hours of extensive training on interpersonal skills, weapon retention, self defense, situational awareness, etc. and can have their guns taken away and used against them, then how many civilians have gone through similar training and can defend themselves from a gun takeaway?

TheKraken likes this.
  4. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Very good point and the answer would be very very few civilians could do it.

Danzig likes this.
  5. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

First off, I carry chamber-loaded, always.

But is it weird, or is it maybe just a sign of our tendency to predict worst-case outcomes, to assume that the bad guy wouldn't be as hindered by an empty chamber as the good guy would be..? Don't know the answer, just strikes me as a weird duality of beliefs.

Danzig likes this.
  6. SixG17s

My take is, that if a law enforcement officer that has many hours of extensive training on interpersonal skills, weapon retention, self defense, situational awareness, etc. and can have their guns taken away and used against them, then how many civilians have gone through similar training and can defend themselves from a gun takeaway?

Civilians don't do gun takeaway training, but prisoners spend all their time practicing takeaways.

An empty gun is just a dust cover for a magazine....

Southlake and Danzig like this.
  7. Defendandprotect32

Defendandprotect32 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    I,have to admit,I have not read all the posts..but one thing I do know,the subject will be controversial until the end of time.for me,because my main focus was to carry defensively,and because I felt,where I live,a striker fired pistol with one in the chamber was necessary.I became more confident as time went by,and now,it's just muscle memory at all times keeping my finger out of the trigger guard.having said that,I have absolutely no criticism for those using a manuel safety.but having to chamber a round in defense,I have a problem with.

Danzig likes this.
  8. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

9. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

10. SixG17s

Well, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many buttons you have to push to make it go bang if you don't have trigger discipline.

11. PJDonuts

PJDonuts Well-Known Member

It's NEVER ok to not have a round in the chamber. (I had to double check the double negative... ha ha ha)

I used to be against open carry. I didn't think it was a safe way to carry a handgun, but now I think it just depends on the situation. I lived up in North Idaho a few years after I retired. Seeing people up there with a gun on their hip was a normal thing. There was even a breakfast place up there that gave a 15% discount for anyone open carrying. Guns are part of their culture. That's North Idaho.

Now I haven't been all across the country, but I'm sure there are other places like North Idaho... maybe in West Texas.

Speaking of Texas, when I see someone with a gun on their hip in my area I say to myself "God Bless Texas!"

Steelie68, elk creek and Danzig like this.
  12. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

13. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I actually have extensive training in disarming armed people, but not a job that would put me in that type of situation. Go figure.

14. PJDonuts

PJDonuts Well-Known Member

@Lucian_253 I'll make sure and lock my gun in my car if we ever meet. LOL

Lucian_253 and Danzig like this.
  15. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin Member

Overall, I mean concealed and a round chambered, I frankly think open carry is fine on the farm or in the woods, but when I see a rube open carrying in the urban world I automatically deduct 15 IQ points...

and,most,of,you,thought,NOBODY,could,"out,comma,"THIS,guy.well,you,were,wrong,,,..

Oh, awesome, what a diverse crowd! What were you in for and how long? Good luck with the whole job thing, stay clean, we BELIEVE in you... (I am kidding!)

16. Defendandprotect32

Defendandprotect32 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    funny guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there's at least one on every forum.

17. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin Member

not,joking,in,the,least,about,your,dreadfully,written,reply,. not,even,an,ensi-weensi little,tinybit:;" at.all,

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  18. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I fought full contact worldwide, trained martial arts since age 6, & spent most of my adult life teaching martial arts, & fighting. Also don’t care if you believe me, or believe in me.

OMCHamlin and Southlake like this.
  19. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin Member

There, see? We've found "common ground"...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Lucian_253 likes this.
  20. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

I CC a G32(19) all the time with zero printing and comfy ta boot. I love my Stickys.