Carrying with one in the chamber - Why it's ok NOT to!

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by pook, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MisterX

MisterX New Member

Grabbing the cylinder of a revolver to stop it from rotating sounds like it would be feasible, but in practice it is very difficult to maintain a grip on a snub. With one hand it's nearly impossible. You pretty much have to get two hands on the gun and in the case of someone with a knife or other weapon, that's obviously not happening. It's actually extremely difficult to maintain a one-handed on any handgun suitable for concealed carry in the context of an actual fight over control of the weapon.

In regards to being attacked with a knife(or any contact weapon), going immediately to the gun is rarely the best option. Someone determined on doing you harm doesn't generally announce their intent from across the street. If someone is truly wanting to stab you, they will attempt to get really close first. You can try to quickdraw or backpedal like in the video, but you're most likely getting shanked either way if you go that route. Either explode off the X pointing your toes in the direction you're wanting to go to create a lot of space quickly or you'll have to use unarmed skills to defend initially to effectively get to the gun or both.

An MMA fighter armed with a pen attacking an older guy with no skills or training aside from static range shooting or a basic NRA or CCW class....I'd put my money on the MMA guy in a 0-5 feet scenario.

2. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

3. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Extremely close quarter combat is extremely 'messy'... period.

In my opinion, there's nothing 'obvious' about any ECQ encounter.

Will an MMA fighter win over 'an older guy with no skills or training'?

You bet!

But, again, you're comparing apples to oranges.

All your assumptions and comparisons aside, your bottom line seems to be 'get good self defense training'... with which I wholeheartedly agree.

But, there's no need to denigrate NRA and CCW classes or 'static' square range practice. That's where shooters need to start.

However, in my opinion, such training should be just the beginning... quality self defense training should follow... and the training should include close quarter and extremely close quarter self defense skills... including disabling firearms and controlling firearms and knives.

Training is not just good... it's life saving! :D

Further to that point, guns don't necessarily save lives... but quality training and practice do! ;)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Ten Man, TheKraken, MWJOHNSON and 2 others like this.
  4. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

5. sloadie

sloadie New Member

Never a good time or thing to not have one in the pipe at all times..

LElliott likes this.
  6. sloadie

sloadie New Member

It’s never ok not to .

LElliott likes this.
  7. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    It’s ok till it’s not ok then it’s never ok! Ok?

LElliott likes this.
  8. MWJOHNSON

MWJOHNSON Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member Supporter

SE Texas
  9. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Until it's not.

10. MWJOHNSON

MWJOHNSON Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member Supporter

SE Texas
  11. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Well ok then

TheKraken and MWJOHNSON like this.
  12. Donn

Donn Active Member

Seriously? Unless you're trolling, I'd strongly suggest you watch the vids on You Tube regarding the 21 foot rule.

Dave Bowman likes this.
  13. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Extremely bad way of thinking IMO

14. Overkill338

Overkill338 Proponet of High Velocity Supporter

Yeah, and all women will have time to get their purse open to get the gun out.

Dark Knight likes this.
  15. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

First of all the 21 foot thing is not a rule, it's just a drill to show how you can be cut with a knife if you are slow. And Open carry is retarded to begin with. DO you think that gang banger's are scared of guns? NO, they are not. And anyone who open carries will get bashed in the back of the head. If you carry a gun, it's always hot, and concealed. Think you are fast enough? No imagination is not timed and scored practice.

LElliott, TheKraken and Lucian_253 like this.
  16. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

AMEN!!!

17. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I don’t CC at all. I feel like I could never really relax doing it, but I’m sure there is an adjustment period. If I ever decide to CC in the future I’ll have to get another much smaller pistol too.

Lucian_253 likes this.
  18. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

+1. I think open carry should be legal, but I'm not going to open carry any more than I would wear a shirt with "I'M CARRYING A GUN" in large orange lettering on it. If a person wouldn't wear that shirt openly in public, why in the world would they want to wear the gun openly in public..? And anyone who WOULD want to wear that shirt in public, is someone I don't want to be standing next to.

Just as with heroin use; just because I think it should be legal, doesn't mean there is any chance that I'm going to do it.

Danzig and TheKraken like this.
  19. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin Member

Well that's good, at least when (not if) you are trudging around in a state of pure obliviousness and some thug snatches your (basically) unloaded gun from your open carry holster (nylon clip-on with an extra mag pouch in front, right?) then at least he'll have to rack the slide before he can shoot you with it...
    You empty chamber guys, I swear... just carry pepper spray, okay?

Glockfinger likes this.
  20. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

The only way he would know that is if he actually had to draw! All of these guys think they can do it, but never, ever actually run timed and scored drills.