Carrying Laws

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Dunphy34, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dunphy34

Dunphy34 New Member

Can you carry a loaded handgun in your car without your CCW in the state of Missouri? If so, where in your car and can you use hollow points?

2. fls348

fls348 New Member

Hollow points yes there's nothing in Missouri stating what kind of ammo you can carry.

You can't conceal if you don't have a CCW permit. The best bet is keep it in the trunk to avoid all the BS.

3. Dunphy34

Dunphy34 New Member

What about the glove box? Also, thank you for your response

4. fls348

fls348 New Member

If it's locked

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Missouri firearm laws

Missouri has a "peaceable journey" under Missouri Statutes 571.030 which law says it is legal to carry the weapon in a passenger compartment of a vehicle as long as (1) the concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, (2) the person is 21 or older, or (3) the person is in his dwelling unit (e.g. RV) or upon premises over which the person has possession/authority/control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.
    The same applies (it is not a crime) when the person is 21 and possesses an exposed firearm for the lawful pursuit of game.

Open carry

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 18 or older. However, city, county, and municipalities are allowed to pass laws and ordinances restricting this. It is advisable to check local laws and ordinances before openly carrying a firearm within Missouri.

Concealed carry

Missouri Statute 571.070 (8/28/2007) says that it is unlawful for a felon or adjudged incompetent Person to have possession of any firearm (including concealable firearms). Violation of this law is a class C felony.
    Missouri Law Exempts the possession of antique firearms, as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 921, from the provision that specifies a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if he or she is a convicted felon possessing a firearm (Section 571.070).

Missouri Statute 571.121 (8/28/2007) says (a) you have to carry permit with you when you carry the concealed weapon and if you don't have it with you, it is not a crime, but you can be fined up to $35, and (b) director of revenue issues a driver's license or a state I.D. with a CCW endorsement that reflects that you can carry concealed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. fls348

fls348 New Member

OK, let me rephrase, don't do it in the city of St. Louis it will not end well.

Other counties have different ordinances so it may vary a little. I can only speak for the city in particular, I'm reasonably sure St. Louis Co. and St. Charles Co. would have similar results to the city.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012