Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread in another firearms forum of someone asking if anyone carries HPs in their carry weapon.

I for one don't understand why anyone wouldn't. Unless you live in NJ. Then I guess you if you were lucky enough to be carrying then you'd have to carry FMJ.

People were saying how they like the feeding reliability & the full penetration (giggle giggle) FMJ gives them.

Well DUH! penetration completely through your target, the wall behind your target and the child in the other room.

Anyone else think its risky to carry FMJ as carry ammo?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be hesitant to shoot target ammo in a SD situation. Even if you're the best shot in the world you can't stop the round from going through too much when you're responsible for what that bullet hits.

·
Heart Of Dixie
589 Posts
I carry Federal EFMJ's (expanding full metal jacket) all the time.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I for one do not carry FMJ's, but I have heard of people staggering FMJ's with HP's during the winter months to allow for thicker clothing.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I stagger.

That's how I was trained and that's how I will continue to do it.

HPs may not effectively penetrate any cover that the BG may hide behind. They also don't do well with car windshields or door panels.

Having had the "pleasure" of being targeted twice by someone trying to run me down in a vehicle, I'll take the ability to shoot through a windshield or a door frame as an advantage over the risk of over penetration.

D

·
Banned
654 Posts
who trained you to do that? I think it is a bad practice. HP are not 100% FMJ's % is a higher in any pistol

·
Banned
786 Posts
I'd be hesitant to shoot target ammo in a SD situation. Even if you're the best shot in the world you can't stop the round from going through too much when you're responsible for what that bullet hits.
People should be more worried about what a HP will do when you miss as much as over penetration will.

You also need to obey every safety rule of shooting all the time, not only at the range. If a shot is unsafe you are not justified in the slightest to just start slinging rounds down range.

There is also better than range grade ball out there, and its still alot cheaper than HP ammo.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I for one do not carry FMJ's, but I have heard of people staggering FMJ's with HP's during the winter months to allow for thicker clothing.
Isn't that what the HPs with the cover over the point is for (having a blank right now on what they are called)? I know those plugs were put in so that the bullet could go through thicker clothing without getting clogged with the material while still being effective.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Tape said:
who trained you to do that? I think it is a bad practice. HP are not 100% FMJ's % is a higher in any pistol
Who? Several people who, i suspect, since i know nothing about you other than what you have posted in this forum, know more and have experienced more than you. People that I RESPECT more than you. Not that who I respect should make any difference to you.

You asked, there's the answer. Think it bad all you want, but until that Isuzu rodeo is barreling towards you in that parking lot, or that truck load of hicks is trying to run you off the road because you "don't belong" in their neck of the woods, you should think its "bad practice".

D

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Dan75719 said:
Isn't that what the HPs with the cover over the point is for (having a blank right now on what they are called)? I know those plugs were put in so that the bullet could go through thicker clothing without getting clogged with the material while still being effective.
Yes. The critical defense, powerball type rounds are supposed to alleviate that for clothing. I'm more concerned about hard barriers.

D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
People should be more worried about what a HP will do when you miss as much as over penetration will.

You also need to obey every safety rule of shooting all the time, not only at the range. If a shot is unsafe you are not justified in the slightest to just start slinging rounds down range.

There is also better than range grade ball out there, and its still alot cheaper than HP ammo.
people should be concerned about every shot they fire in a real situation.
HP or FMJ. but at least a HP isnt gonna go through 2 walls of the home next door when you miss.

i could see where FMJ would be beneficial...
someone in IA body armor: yes
through a car door: yes
all those guys trying to get you in a shoot-out in a warehouse: yes

most likely the senario would be...
perp in my home: no
robber in a store with customers: no

·
Banned
786 Posts
people should be concerned about every shot they fire in a real situation.
HP or FMJ. but at least a HP isnt gonna go through 2 walls of the home next door when you miss.

i could see where FMJ would be beneficial...
someone in IA body armor: yes
through a car door: yes
all those guys trying to get you in a shoot-out in a warehouse: yes

most likely the senario would be...
perp in my home: no
robber in a store with customers: no

Hollow points expand via hydraulic actions. There is not enough moisture in walls to expand a hollow point. The fanciest flower like expanding projectile is going to penetrate walls just as well as ball will.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[ame]http://youtu.be/byJw9GuuuhY[/ame]

what this guy says in the last 15 seconds is all that should matter.

i live in florida. theres no heavy clothing to shoot through, and im not gonna try and shoot through the cover my target takes, ill take cover myself at that point.
i dont doubt the effectiveness of good HP rounds, im not trying to shoot through an engine block.
i do know that 9mm FMJ will go though 3 walls and still be lethal for whatever is behind it. and seeing as i dont have xray vision and dont know whats exactly my backstop though other walls, i wouldnt be popping them off instead of HPs
ill add that id rather die myself then be responsible for killing an innocent bystander, going to prison and regreting why i carried FMJ casue HPs were "pricey"

if you wanna carry FMJ ball ammo, go for it. just know your backstop on the other side of that wall.

just my thoughts.

·
1,310 Posts
Dan75719 said:
Hornady Critical Duty are the ones designed to penetrate and then expand.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Critical defense will do that too, polymer plug keeps it from happening. The Critical Duty rounds are a nice heavier bullet. 135 for 9mm vs 115 for Critical defense. I'm actually thinking of switching to critical duty to pick up a little more penetration value.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts