Glock Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in MI and I have a CPL and travel all over the state in a company vehicle. My work has no policies about carrying a concealed weapon. I travel to some really rundown towns like Saginaw, Flint and inner city Detroit. I have mentioned to my boss about exercising my rights and he just laughs it off as if I joking, should I just start bringing my weapon to work or get the bosses blessing?

·
Supporting Member
568 Posts
Welcome manofsteel to the forum. I do not mind saying this is the best Glock forum on the web. I cannot answer your question but someone with more experience will be along soon.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I wouldn't bring it up anymore. If they don't strictly forbid it, than your breaking no company rules, or violating policy. Keeping it to yourself is alway the best way to go, you don't have a thing to gain from anyone knowing your carrying. Unless your a LEO, it's not likely that your employer is going to back you up legally if you have to use it, and they will likely fire you just to try to distance themselves from your actions. But I'd rather be fired, than have my boss send flowers to my funeral. Most things in life that are really important, are usually better kept to oneself.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Be very, very sure that it's not somewhere in company policy that you may have missed. If it truly isn't, then carry and be careful about it staying concealed.

The other thing to consider, though, is if you're visiting clients and they have a no guns policy; if you violate a client's policy, that will get you fired. If you're going to face that possibility, then you might just keep it with in the vehicle and not take it in when you visit those places.

It's always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, but it's also best, in this economy, to not lose your job because you printed at a client's site that has a no guns policy. YMMV

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the Forum manofsteel. I hope you enjoy the community here.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
manofsteel0311 said:
I live in MI and I have a CPL and travel all over the state in a company vehicle. My work has no policies about carrying a concealed weapon. I travel to some really rundown towns like Saginaw, Flint and inner city Detroit. I have mentioned to my boss about exercising my rights and he just laughs it off as if I joking, should I just start bringing my weapon to work or get the bosses blessing?
No company policy?
Bring it.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Personally, no company policy? None of their business! If it don't show, they don't know!

Professionally, ask permission from your employer because their insurance policy may have stipulations that they did not write into their policies as a business...

(take the personal answer) :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
From Michigan here, my company has a "no firearms" policy. (I work in the apartment industry) My apts have gang related activity, drive-bys, and fairly regular man with a gun call shooting rounds off... THAT being said I think you guys can assume I may or may not follow company rules...
As a side note to being Michigan related, you can now legally carry a taser... Michigan still says its treated as a firearm, only use it if you would use a firearm... Company policy is behind, it doesn't mention anything about tasers, but I assume the same consequences for carrying one of those if caught.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
From Michigan here, my company has a "no firearms" policy. (I work in the apartment industry) My apts have gang related activity, drive-bys, and fairly regular man with a gun call shooting rounds off... THAT being said I think you guys can assume I may or may not follow company rules...
As a side note to being Michigan related, you can now legally carry a taser... Michigan still says its treated as a firearm, only use it if you would use a firearm... Company policy is behind, it doesn't mention anything about tasers, but I assume the same consequences for carrying one of those if caught.

Yes. If your company policy is a "no weapons" policy, then its treated the same way. They're written very general intentionally to allow for interpretation.

We have an over-arching corporate policy that covers all of our facilities, including ones in MI. "Company property" covers buildings, personal cars on parking lots, and company leased/owned vehicles.

D

·
Registered
385 Posts
dwcfastrice said:
Yes. If your company policy is a "no weapons" policy, then its treated the same way. They're written very general intentionally to allow for interpretation.

We have an over-arching corporate policy that covers all of our facilities, including ones in MI. "Company property" covers buildings, personal cars on parking lots, and company leased/owned vehicles.

D
Yes I agree... Company vehicles and property are included. I've been known to park in the street on my "range days" after work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts