Carrying across state lines..

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by matt8822, Mar 15, 2012.

1. matt8822

matt8822 New Member

I'm going on a business trip in about a month to Atlanta gonna be driving.. I live in Texas and I carry all day every day here just wondering if Anyone knew about carrying in other states.. It's just a short 4 day trip.

2. You better do thorough research to ensure you are complying with every law in each state you will be traveling through. I would start at www.handgunlaw.us. Then, go to the states own websites to ensure the information you have is current.

3. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Yep, every state is different.

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

Investing in a copy of Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States would be a good investment too.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

The problem with printed copies is that the information may be outdated, as laws seem to change with the winds.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Bottom line is this...Federal law supercedes State law.

Interstate Transportation Act / Uniform Firearms Act covers the transportation of... cased and unloaded / ammo separate from firearm container /

weapon placed in trunk or as far from driver as possible... from place of origin to destination in all 48 continuous states.

(You can google that...)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  7. jimmyalbrecht

Good point Shooter. But you will have to investigate state laws of whether or not you can carry it on your person in your car. But like Shooter said, bottom line you can take it with you although it may be in the trunk of your car.

8. alba666

alba666 New Member

At a high level, you should be fine driving. But the devil is in the details. Make sure you understand the following for each state you will traverse:

Is OC legal (accidental or intentional)?
    Are you required to inform LEO on official contact?
    What are prohibited areas?

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

True, but they've got listings for contact agencies in each state. A quick phone call should cover all bases.

10. ncarnage

ncarnage Member

But state laws can be stricter than federal. Here in Illinois must be in container, in trunk, unloaded, taken apart and a FOID CARD. But that's the communist state of IL. :). Stay away from IL. LOL.

11. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Please tell me you are exaggerating the laws somewhat? That sure seems over the top!

12. jimmyalbrecht

Really...define taken apart lol. Slide off? Detail strip? haha Take the trigger out!

13. ncarnage

ncarnage Member

14. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

Laws are continually shifting when it comes to which states reciprocate your own state laws. Sites like this should help you keep abreast of it. I advise you to re-check reciprocacy each time you are to carry across the line.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Also keep in mind that Federal Laws are superceded by Tribal Law when on Tribal Land (Independent Nations, remember?)

16. matt8822

matt8822 New Member

It'll be with me just not on me, and not loaded.. Clip and gun will be in separate areas that's for sure.. Always gotta remember the Right To Bear Arms..