Carry Ammo Threads merged here:

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by wsar10, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Gah! Stupid phone....

Wanted to add, I got into this habit with a 9mm weapon and not a .40.

Over the years I've heard enough arguments on both sides that my backup mags are all FMJ and no JHP. Again, I practice with the alternates and I stick with a brand I know that works in the weapon. I don't mix different brands of JHP or FMJ in my "carry" mags.

Some may disagree with the practice thinking it useless and silly etc.
    Like I said its an old habit.

D

2. Joer

Joer New Member

Thank you, I'll probably have to go mail order to find any.

3. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've never carried that way, though I've considered it over the years. It comes from the same era and reasons as yours, though I'd only planned on mixing the first half of the mag in the gun.

Instead, I'm dropping my 155gr Hornady and going to 165gr Critical Defense/Zombie Max. The polymer tip is made to handle the penetration of clothing, etc., before starting expansion.

Another good option is Hornady's new Critical Duty. 175gr and it's the only round that has passed all of the FBI's tests for penetration, etc.

4. brettc

brettc New Member

Keep hornady critical duty in my G26 and Winchester ranger in my sigma. Love hornady though...

5. pitbullholtz

pitbullholtz New Member

G26 Hornady Zombie Max in glock sport combat holster

6. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

G19 and G21SF both loaded with Ranger T-series.

I dont use any of the +P or +P+ loads since they dont penetrate as deep.

7. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

How do you like the zombie max?

8. Jerremy

Jerremy New Member

Why would they not penetrate as deep..

9. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

In theory the extra velocity will make them expand faster. But many things can affect the expansion like even what part of the body it hits or barriers etc.

10. G19 or LC9 both loaded with Speer Gold Dots.

11. pitbullholtz

pitbullholtz New Member

Hornady critical defence is the same thing it has a red tip. And the zombie max tip is green I buy which every one my gun shop has and I love Hornady ammo is only thing I will carry

12. Jerremy

Jerremy New Member

Currently using the Speer Gold Dot 230g..

13. P99guy

P99guy New Member

Speer Gold Dot 125gr .357 Sig is the duty load in my G31

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38+p is the carry load in my S&W 638 worn in my front pocket

14. elroyyboy

elroyyboy Ruthless Overlord

This. Package with the neighbor upon return from vacation!

Attached Files:

15. elroyyboy

The profile pic makes them look younger. :)

Attached Files:

16. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Nice.

Personally, I do what (just about) everybody else does: take someone else's word on it; maybe shoot some water jugs.

17. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Uh oh, it looks like they shipped you inverted cases. You don't want to shoot those. Well, don't you worry - ol' rival here will take them off your hands for 10 cents on the dollar.

18. elroyyboy

I'm not nearly smart enough to go out and shoot milk jugs, or fence posts, or fat kids on bikes so I just shoot what the LE shoots and what's the best deal.

I think the ammo companies make a LOT of money on "Wednesday Night at the Range" aka NRATV making us think we need the latest $45/box ammo. I don't mean to insult anyone who truly believes they could get a competitive advantage over some knucklehead who desparately needs killing with one type ammo over another and can afford to shoot the latest and greatest, more power to you in our great Country.
    I remember in basic training, circa 1984, my Drill Sergeant told me that the first component required for success in a gunfight is a gun. I'd like to think that any hollow point that meets the FBI's standards ought to be good enough to achieve the first component.

19. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas

image-3584361128.jpg

I'm thinking those bullets are as real as our rabbits.

20. davo33

davo33 New Member

I like the CorBon 125gr HP in my .357 sig. I base my choice solely on accuracy. I shoot a box of several good brands of hp ammo and barring any FTF, FTE etc. whichever is most accurate in my gun, that what I carry. Almost too simple, huh?