Can't decide which Glock I want.

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by Lucian_253, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am going to purchase a new Glock next week and can't decide between 30, 30sf, or 23. I currently own a 21sf, and a 27. If you had to decide between back up for my .45, or compact for my .40, which would you choose. Also if anyone could give me opinions between 30, and 30sf that would be much appreciated.

2. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

If you're already more comfortable with the 21SF over the 21, then the 30SF over the 30 might be a logical choice. It's the same comparable thickness; only the length of the grip is less in the 30/30SF. (21SF thickness = 30SF thickness)

One $aving$ factor in getting a second .45 is that you won't have to buy extra ammo of a different caliber for the 23. But if you already own a 27 then you're already splitting your caliber purchases.

Of course, having a new different caliber has its own fun merits as well.

What do you plan for its intended use? What needs do you have to fulfill, if any? Given the sizes in question, I'd guess you're looking for a CC/BUG. In all cases, my suggestion is to rent and shoot both to see what each feels like.

I own the 21SF as well. I plan to get the 30SF for CC/BUG because of the ammo "savings." Still, I'd also like to get a long barrel 9mm for competition so it's really a matter of which to get NEXT. ;)

Good news is ya can't go wrong in any Glock direction.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

3. Lucian_253

That's my problem exactly. I just don't know which one to get next. I have the 21sf, 27, 17, and 20. I figured the 30, and 23 are really just compacts. Even though 30 is considered a sub, it is bigger than then the 26, 27, and, 33 subcompacts. Thanks for the input. I think I will end up getting which ever one I can get the best deal on. I think I own one of each caliber already since I have a factory 33 barrel for my 27. Except .45 GAP which I have no interest in. Eventually I want them all : )

4. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Like I said, it's a question of which you will get NEXT because I get the feeling you'll buy the other one eventually. :)

5. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

I have learned to love Glocks because of the G23. It is an amazing carry gun.

6. Tape

Tape New Member

if I were to get a backup I would buy the smallest 9mm I could find, to me it is a backup not a replacement to my edc so large calibers are out of the question, JMO

7. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Good point. The 26/27 offer magazine compatability to your full size duty gun in case something happened to your main gun. That was my original intention when I got one. The only problem is carrying one comfortably. I went back to a .38 j-frame. Although now I would probably carry my Keltec PF-9.

8. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

What do you plan to do with it, aside from backup? Why can't the 27 serve as backup?

I have the 27/23/30/36. I also have a dedicated lower for my Advantage Arms 22 conversion for 22LR. I have long fingers. I prefer the thicker grip. Sounds like it would be Natural for you to go with the 30 SF. Between the 23 and 30, it's six and one half dozen of the other. One has 13+1 40S&W and the other has 10+1 45 ACP. The 23 mags fit the 27 but you'll have to buy them. The 21 mags fit the 30 which you already have. Ammo is more expensive in 45 and 40 is more abundant.

Sounds like you need 4 Glocks so get the 30SF AND the 23.

9. I think going with a 23 would be somewhat redundant since you've already got a 27. If anything get the 22 if you want a 40cal.
    The 30sf would be a good pairing for your 21sf and that way you'd have the full size and sub-compact both in 45acp. JMHO, YMMV.

10. metalriot

metalriot New Member

I have a 23 and love it!! It carries pretty well iwb. I have the opposite situation that you do I'm considering getting a 27 cause I want something smaller. I liked the idea of the glock 30 but it's thickness and the fact it's a little bigger then the 27 turned me off to it(for now lol). I'm Gunna go with the 27 next but I would love either the 30 or the 29 eventually. But I will never part with my 23 it's like the perfect size IMO. It's my first glock(though I fired a few) the 22,and 21. So far the 23 has been my favorite

11. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to a range that rents. Being you're looking at maybe carrying concealed someday, start with the babby glocks, G26/27, etc.

Find one that's controlable and comfortable in your hand. Later on, if you want something bigger for home defense or the range, well, you already know what caliber suits you, just upsize.

12. Lucian_253

I already own the 17, 21sf, 20, and 27. I carry my 27 everyday. I am leaning towards getting the 23. I really like my 27, but don't like it as my EDC carry gun. I think the 23 would make a better EDC, and I'll use my 27 as my BUG. Only problem now is gen. 3 or 4.

13. Tape

Tape New Member

If I were to carry a BUW it would be my Kel-Tec P11 was the smallest 9mm made and it holds 12 in and 1 in the pipe, not bad for a 9mm pistol just a little bit bigger than the beretta 22 Bobcat[​IMG]

P11

[​IMG]

14. The PF9 is also a good pocket gun, a bit thinner then the P11 too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  15. Lucian_253

I currently carry a pm9 as my BUG, in my front pocket. I just prefer Glocks. I usually buy one a year with one of my bonus checks. Maybe I should pick up a M&P, there are just to many options, lol.

16. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I think G30sf is your best option now.
    You will eventually get the G23, so don't worry, get the G30sf and be happy. :)

Oh! One more thing: Go with a Glock! :)

17. Lucian_253

I might have to get both, my bonus is enough to pick both up. The only problem then is my wife. I always tell her Glocks are like tattoo's, you can't just get one. Thanks for all the input, I love this forum.

18. savage07

savage07 New Member

Lol! I'm agree. I would choose the 30SF. In my opinion it's more comfortable than the 30. And if the grip it's too short for your hands which I doubt you can always put some talon grips on! :)

19. Lucian_253

I just picked up the Glock 30sf. I can't wait to take it to the range.

20. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Great! You'll like it!