Canadian Glock

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Charlie Echo, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Charlie Echo

Charlie Echo New Member

I just stumbled upon an article about Canadian hand gun laws and the "new" Glock 19. Is the Glock 48 the Canadian Clock 19?

2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

No.

To comply with Canada handgun laws, in addition to the standard barrel, Glock makes a slightly longer barrel for the G19.

Canadian Compliant Gen 4 Glock 19
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/16/canadian-compliant-gen-4-glock-19/#:~:text=Well, Glock has now made,magazines to just 10 rounds.&text=Typical Gen4 G19 barrels are,barrel for the Canadian market.

"Typical Gen4 G19 barrels are only 102mm in length which would typically put it in the prohibited class. So Glock makes a slightly longer barrel for the Canadian market."

However, to eliminate the need for a 'special' barrel, Glock did indeed design the G48 with a standard barrel length of 106 mm, which, as may be noted, complies with Canada gun laws.

Glock’s New G48 Is Its First Pistol Designed to Be Canada Legal
    https://thegunblog.ca/2019/01/02/glocks-new-g48-is-first-pistol-designed-to-be-canada-legal/

The following video compares the G19 and G48.

Glock G19 vs G48 Comparison

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    TheKraken, Danzig and Southlake like this.

3. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks Bob, I didn't know that.

rbbeers likes this.
  4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Colt did the same thing for Canadian buyers with the new Colt Python.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/3/23/colt-python-review/

A number of Americans wondered why they would deviate from the standard 4” barrel as it will cause holster selection issues. I guess Colt figured there’s less people packing the new Python 4(1/4)” guns than Canadians buying them.

This ain’t the 1970’s and I’d dare to say there’s close to zero Law Enforcement carrying a revolver nowadays especially the latest from Colt in a duty rig.

Southlake, TheKraken and rbbeers like this.
  5. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

What exactly would the Canadian government expect to accomplish by requiring a longer barrel?

6. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Do you think they had a reason or was it just to outlaw all barrels 4” and under and mags over 10 rounds.

Bayou likes this.
  7. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Just stupid hoops for the gun industry to follow. Lots of countries have them.

Bayou and eltell like this.
  8. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Same reason the American government has all kinds of rules about trigger serrations, thumb rests, etc. Politicians and bureaucrats who are totally ignorant of the subject matter making the rules, and this is what you get.

Closest analogy I can come up with, is that it would be like having Amish people write traffic laws. Many of them would be inherently biased and hostile on the subject matter, but even those that genuinely wanted to be rational and logical, would still be unqualified and incompetent on the subject.

Olga17, Southlake, Bayou and 2 others like this.
  9. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

So there is no logical answer. Just a meaningless extra hoop to jump through to acquire a gun. Seems these politicians aren’t even smart enough to know they SHOULD be embarrassed to propose legislation like this. Man what a crazy world we live in, but at least I’m in Texas

Olga17 and Danzig like this.
  10. 58sniper

58sniper New Member

Minimum barrel length is also the reason for the 17A in Australia.