Can ammo quality have an effect on how casing is ejected?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Shadow, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Before I went to the range today, I went by and picked up some monarch 115 gr. ammo from academy($10/box). I've never used this kind before and just picked up a couple of boxes to try it out.

My issue is that some the casings were being ejected all over the place, a few bounced off my head, a couple on my arm, even had one come back and hit the side of my safety glasses......and I'm not sure if it was just the cheap ammo or if I am having an issue with the extractor that I've been reading up about. :confused: My G17 has a test fire date of 02/08/12 and the extractor is 30274. This was the first time that I practiced at the range(pretty enclosed area at this one), the first few times I've shot my 17 was out at my dad's ranch and hadn't noticed any problems like this, although I did notice that some casings were being ejected pretty much straight up in the air out there.

I've done a search thru the forums and with what I've read, I do believe that I will be calling Glock tomorrow and see about sending it in to get it checked out, due to there not being any Glock Armorers in my area. :(

I do have to say though, the 100 rounds of monarch all shot just fine...no problems whatsoever except for the weird ejections. ALTHOUGH, I hadn't noticed that this stuff was made in russia, probably why the ammo was so cheap, so I won't be buying this stuff anymore. I usually use Remington ammo but just picked this stuff up out of convenience. :eek:

Any input is appreciated, maybe someone will have a solution that I haven't found/read up on yet. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. TurnerCop

TurnerCop New Member

Ammo like this can actually have different powder weights which will affect the slide motion either slower or faster in recoil which would affect the case during ejection! My suggestion is use a little better ammo and pay the difference and you will be happier with your gun especially when it comes time to clean it! I am happy with the Wal-mart Winchester 100 round boxes. They are the most reasonably priced in my area and they have all measured exactly the same in powder after pulling some casings apart to test them.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum TurnerCop !!

4. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I usually use Remington 115 gr. FMJ(250 rd. megapack) that I pick up at wallyworld, but I took the easy way out yesterday since I was closer to academy. Feel a little stupid since I went against what I always say....you get what you pay for, Lol.

From what I remember, I didn't have too many issues with the Remington UMC ammo, although when ejected some of the casings flew out at about 1-2 o'clock position from the gun.

Going to do a little more research here on the forums and on youtube to see what else I can find out.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Weaker ammo can eject erratically. If you experience erratic ejection with 124gr Speer Lawman, it's definitely not caused by ammo. Since you already have the 30274 ejector, erratic ejection with better ammo would likely be caused by the extractor(the claw part in the slide that grabs the case rim) being out-of-spec. Replacing the extractor would likely fix the problem.

6. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I called up Glock CS today and will be sending my G17 in to get checked out. I bought some Winchester 115 grain FMJ target ammo today and will see about doing some shooting this weekend if the weather cooperates, I'll see how that ammo fairs in the ejections. With the Remington ammo, the casings were a little erratic, now that I think about it, with only an occasional casing on my arm or near my head. When my father was shooting, the casings were ejected at around the 1 to 3 o'clock position.

In any case, I'm sending her in to get a checkup. I got a little peeved the first time that I called because the guy I spoke with was not too familiar in proper customer service and told me he would just email me the info about shipping the gun back. To top that off, the info said that I was responsible for the shipping charges to get the 17 back to them!! I made a quick call back and talked to someone else and said that I just bought this gun only 3 weeks ago and Glock WILL be taking care of the to/from shipping charges or I will sell the 17, cut my losses and go buy a 1911. Needless to say, I had better luck the second time around and will be getting the return shipping label for FedEx here in a couple of days, from what I was told.

I'm sure that things will get taken care of and Glock will make things right.....might have to go pick up a used GEN3 G19 that I saw at a local gun shop to tide me over until mine comes back. ;)

7. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Interested to hear more. I was having issues with my G23 yesterday, casings would often hit me in the center of the forehead. I have been shooting the cheapo winchester 100 rd white box and haven't had any problems in either the G22 or G23 until yesterday. I didn't pay attention if it happened with certain mags over the others, but I used all 3 G22 15 rd mags, 3 G23 13 rd mags, and 1 22rd mag. I also may have only noticed it yesterday as I forgot to wear a hat. Let us know what they do to fix it if anything.

8. bfish

bfish Member

My friend got a S&W 1911 and first time out shooting it the brass was all over the place I got hit in the eye on the first shot making me a little shy on the rest but several flew straight back into our faces so it wasn't just the shooter etc. We believe its a extractor or more like "ejector" issue but he is sending it to S&W to have it looked at so it will be interesting to find out why this was happening

9. trbr81

trbr81 New Member

G17

mine was doing it too - it is back at glock now - not too happy with a brand new gun doing this

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Trbr81 and TurnerCop, and WELCOME to the Forum!

If you post a *Hi There* in the Introductions section, other Members will have a chance to welcome you properly.

Cheers!

11. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I was informed by Glock that the projected turn around time is 4 to 6 weeks, although it may not take that long to fix it. I will probably not be sending it off until next week sometime so I'll see how it goes from there.

I'm not worried about the problem not being fixed, it just ticks me off a bit for spending so much money on a brand new gun that needs to be worked on already. I'll update as soon as I get my 17 back.

12. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

I would not blame monarch. I've had great results with it. I have the same gun as you and with the new ejector never had a spent case in the forehead again. I did notice my female friend has a softer grip on it and got 1 or two to the forehead. I would try having a good grip with arms almost completely extended! Do not send it off yet you already have the new ejector so there's not much to gain from sending it off. Let me know how that goes :)

13. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Didn't blame monarch....simply said that it was cheap stuff that was made in russia. :D All the rounds fired fine, it was just a few ejections that went a little crazy....out of the 100 rounds, there were some that flew back towards my head and a few on my arm...enough for me to take notice.

I've read that although GEN4s have the new ejector, the extractor may be out of spec in some pistols, as Voyager4520 mentioned, and that is what Glock would replace when the 17 is sent back, from what I understand.

As for the ammo, I wouldn't buy any more monarch simply because it's not made in the USA. I'd rather keep my money here and keep Americans working than send it overseas. ;)

14. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Hello, Trbr81 and TurnerCop, Welcome to the Forum

15. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Finally got around to sending my 17 back to Glock today to get it checked out. Hopefully, the turnaround time won't be too long and, more importantly, that the issue with the frequent erratic ejections will be taken care of.

I had gotten used to having my first Glock here at home and feel a little naked since dropping it off with fedex. This situation just gives me a little incentive to go and get another Glock to have as a backup. ;)

Will update once I get my 17 back.....

16. shrikant44

shrikant44 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012