Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another huge step down the rabbit hole the San Jose CA city council has passed a law mandating insurance and an annual fee for firearm owners. The reasoning behind the decision is that these measures will help to curb firearm related crime and violence in the city.
I'm sure all the criminals and crazies are dutifully lining up to pay their fees and get their insurance coverage.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just because a law is unconstitutional doesn't mean that it won't get enacted or used. Several of the firearms laws in Chicago, New York, Washington DC, and other places have been deemed unconstitutional by courts but they're still in effect and still being used.
Which means those opposed to such laws need to become involved in the process of formulating laws and most importantly they need to vote.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
Just because a law is unconstitutional doesn't mean that it won't get enacted or used. Several of the firearms laws in Chicago, New York, Washington DC, and other places have been deemed unconstitutional by courts but they're still in effect and still being used.
Which means those opposed to such laws need to become involved in the process of formulating laws and most importantly they need to vote.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........
Correct you are as every and any gun control law is un Constitutional and yet they are on the books.

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
People need to stop trusting and relying on politicians to "do the right thing" and take back the power which the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the other Amendments gives to citizens in order for them to control the actions of politicians and government agencies.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Reminds me of something else Mr./Dr. Franklin said to a woman when asked a question of
Franklin as walking out of Independence Hall after the Constitutional Convention in 1787, when someone shouted out, “Doctor, what have we got? A republic or a monarchy?”
To which Franklin supposedly responded, with a rejoinder at once witty and ominous: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Honestly we have done a rather lousy job of keeping it and I fear trying to regain it without blood shed,the founders knew this of course that is why the founders tried to warn us,evidently we failed to take it to heart

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"A Republic, if you can keep it" That is the crux of the matter, isn't it? Fortunately the authority, tools, and Rights for citizens to do so without resorting to violence or bloodshed already exist. Citizens just need to re-educate themselves in what they are and how to use them.
Any actions instigated by citizens that result in violence and bloodshed will be the downfall of the Republic because it will give those who wish to eliminate citizen's Rights the excuse they need to do so.
Violence and bloodshed are and have always been a last resort. The Founders knew this and repeatedly warned against it while at the same time encouraging citizens to become and remain involved in running the government.
"The Constitution is not an Instrument for the Government to restrain the People. It is an Instrument for the People to restrain the Government. " Patrick Henry.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Experience has taught us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them once they have possession. And when the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the slaughter." George Washington.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
The authority, tools, and Rights for citizens to take back power without resorting to violence or bloodshed already exist. Citizens just need to re-educate themselves in what they are and how to use them.
Any actions instigated by citizens that result in violence and bloodshed will be the downfall of the Republic because it will give those who wish to eliminate citizen's Rights the excuse they need to do so.
Violence and bloodshed are and have always been a last resort. The Founders knew this and repeatedly warned against it while at the same time encouraging citizens to become and remain involved in running the government.
"The Constitution is not an Instrument for the Government to restrain the People. It is an Instrument for the People to restrain the Government. " Patrick Henry.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Experience has taught us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them once they have possession. And when the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the slaughter." George Washington.
There in lies the condrum,people weren't educated in history,U S history and civics going back some years, with the takeover of education. You are correct they don't even know the Constitution and Bill of Rights restrains the government not the people.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a reason that all through history the vast majority of those in power all around the world have attempted to restrict access to knowledge and severely limited what and how it could be taught to those under their control.
Educated and knowledgeable people don't make good serfs, peasants, and slaves.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,089 Posts
There is a reason that all through history the vast majority of those in power all around the world have attempted to restrict access to knowledge and severely limited what and how it could be taught to those under their control.
Educated and knowledgeable people don't make good serfs, peasants, and slaves.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............
I experienced this in Western Australia some years ago! They have always had Firearms Laws that bordered on the edge of Lunacy! Without delving too far into it. There are 2 classes of licence , High Power and Low power! The difference is a line drawn through a ballistic chart! From memory a low power is any round of less than 1790 FPS anything else is a High Power! Ok so If I want to own a 17 Rem ,it's a high power but I can own a 45-70 cause it's a low power!!!! Ok then it becomes really interesting. The Police, state that you need a letter from a Land owner for a low power but you need 3 letters for a high power! Whereas if you read the firearms act you require 1 letter for a high power and none for a low power! As I worked for the Gov I was issued with a special licence to carry a high power firearm & Hand gun for work ! I wanted to bring my 6mm over the border and was told no bloody way! It was not until I lawyered up and threatened to take the matter through the court system. I was issued with a High power accreditation! The average citizen over there is just not aware of what the law actually states!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I experienced this in Western Australia some years ago! They have always had Firearms Laws that bordered on the edge of Lunacy! Without delving too far into it. There are 2 classes of licence , High Power and Low power! The difference is a line drawn through a ballistic chart! From memory a low power is any round of less than 1790 FPS anything else is a High Power! Ok so If I want to own a 17 Rem ,it's a high power but I can own a 45-70 cause it's a low power!!!! Ok then it becomes really interesting. The Police, state that you need a letter from a Land owner for a low power but you need 3 letters for a high power! Whereas if you read the firearms act you require 1 letter for a high power and none for a low power! As I worked for the Gov I was issued with a special licence to carry a high power firearm & Hand gun for work ! I wanted to bring my 6mm over the border and was told no bloody way! It was not until I lawyered up and threatened to take the matter through the court system. I was issued with a High power accreditation! The average citizen over there is just not aware of what the law actually states!
As I've said before and will continue to say, people need to educate themselves about their governments and become involved in running them in order to take back control of them and their own lives. Not just here in the States but everywhere.
When I visited Australia I got three firm job offers and several other possible offers and my friends there urged me to immigrate so I looked into it and found that my skills, knowledge, and years of experience as a certified small engine technician and instructor and certified industrial technician/machinist/millwright gave me enough points that despite being over the age limit I still qualified for the Australian assisted immigration program.
If I were willing to sign a 5 year contract the Australian government would pay to move me to Australia and assist me with housing and other things because I had skills and knowledge that were in high demand.
I seriously considered it because I really enjoyed the folks I met and the country I saw while there. I was already aware in a general fashion what the firearm laws were but as I dug deeper I realized just how screwed up they really were and decided that I couldn't live someplace that placed so many restrictions on something I greatly enjoyed and had been doing since childhood, using firearms.
After my visit Down Under I became even more determined to fight against similar laws and restrictions here in the States.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,089 Posts
As I've said before and will continue to say, people need to educate themselves about their governments and become involved in running them in order to take back control of them and their own lives. Not just here in the States but everywhere.
When I visited Australia I got three firm job offers and several other possible offers and my friends there urged me to immigrate so I looked into it and found that my skills, knowledge, and years of experience as a certified small engine technician and instructor and certified industrial technician/machinist/millwright gave me enough points that despite being over the age limit I still qualified for the Australian assisted immigration program.
If I were willing to sign a 5 year contract the Australian government would pay to move me to Australia and assist me with housing and other things because I had skills and knowledge that were in high demand.
I seriously considered it because I really enjoyed the folks I met and the country I saw while there. I was already aware in a general fashion what the firearm laws were but as I dug deeper I realized just how screwed up they really were and decided that I couldn't live someplace that placed so many restrictions on something I greatly enjoyed and had been doing since childhood, using firearms.
After my visit Down Under I became even more determined to fight against similar laws and restrictions here in the States.
It's funny when the restrictions started over here. The sporting shooter community had big protests! Lots of Sabre rattling etc! At the end of the day that was it! We Pro shooters and Farmers ,said Thankyou but no Thankyou! The Federal Gov said "You will tow the line!" We turned round and pointed out the revenue that we produced in Export revenue and the Federal Gov turned round and said ."Errrr, These new laws won't affect you!" The sad part was the following election the Party who started it all was voted back into power! The problem was and is the separation of Country and City! The demographic of city dwellers is that they have forgotten their basic freedoms.!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
45,328 Posts
It's funny when the restrictions started over here. The sporting shooter community had big protests! Lots of Sabre rattling etc! At the end of the day that was it! We Pro shooters and Farmers ,said Thankyou but no Thankyou! The Federal Gov said "You will tow the line!" We turned round and pointed out the revenue that we produced in Export revenue and the Federal Gov turned round and said ."Errrr, These new laws won't affect you!" The sad part was the following election the Party who started it all was voted back into power! The problem was and is the separation of Country and City! The demographic of city dwellers is that they have forgotten their basic freedoms.!
Horse Ecoregion Sky Nature Natural environment

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More proof that politicians don't actually care what citizens want or think. If they have the power and think they can get away with it they're going to do what they want to do anyway and justify it by saying, "It's for the benefit of all the people" or some such blather.
The same thing has happened in several states over here but the panic buying of firearms and accessories set the anti firearms groups and politicians back a bit as the majority of first time buyers, many from minority groups, were from city and suburban areas.
Those same folks who usually approve of firearm restrictions or aren't concerned because, "I don't own a gun so it doesn't effect me." Yo sheeple; the restriction or eliminate of one Constitutional Right opens the gates to the restriction or elimination of any and all other Constitutional Rights. Duh............
Not that these anti firearm groups and politicians have given up, as the recent activity in the Land of Californication shows, they're just regrouping.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Right on the money. Here in Wyoming the real hard core environmentalists are the ranchers and farmers. They deal first hand with water shortages, pollution, changes in climate and weather patterns, and other things that their livelihoods and lifestyles depend on.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.......

·
Glockin’ since 1993
45,328 Posts
Right on the money. Here in Wyoming the real hard core environmentalists are the ranchers and farmers. They deal first hand with water shortages, pollution, changes in climate and weather patterns, and other things that their livelihoods and lifestyles depend on.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.......
I tie that meme with guns as well as environment. These overlords in city capitals have no idea what they’re talking about.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tie that meme with guns as well as environment. These overlords in city capitals have no idea what they’re talking about.
This is quite evident in Colorado where the majority of newcomers have moved to the Front Range, the metro areas of Fort Collins, Denver, and Colorado Springs and passed laws that most of the folks in the other parts of the state, the rural areas of the Plains and the Western Slope, have been against. But since they're outnumbered by the metro dwellers their opinions, wants, and wishes have been pretty much pushed aside or ignored.
Politically Colorado is a completely different state than the one I moved to in 71 when I got out of the Corps; which is why I now live in Wyoming. ;)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Not only is it unconstitutional but it is also unfair to people at lower socioeconomic levels!

That factor might get the law, fee, and insurance mandate struck down.
Nice thought but other than being useful props and background scenery on occasion politicians and the political parties they represent don't actually care about people at the lower socioeconomic levels, the "poor".
After all they're "poor" right? How often do they show up at $10,000.00 a plate dinners and how much money do they contribute to politicians and political parties?
Politicians and the parties they represent only care about people and organizations that can put money in their coffers and pockets.
Not people like you and me that may be able to scrape together and cough up a couple hundred dollars but those that can drop a couple hundred thousand or millions of dollars. That's who gets listened to.
"America has the best government that money can buy."

1 - 20 of 46 Posts