Caliber preference? 9MM? 10MM? .40? .380?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Dragnet, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

2. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

Mine too, or my G27 converted to 9. However in my IWB holsters they ride too low for my liking. I have a Galco, and a Alien gear. It's hard to get a quick grip on them. I do have a home built IWB the former owner of my 27 made. I should check it.

If I'm carrying the 26 lately it's OWB.

3. NQNPIII

Running back straps on the 26? Or is it a Gen3?

4. NQNPIII

;)

5. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Nice! :D

Also, as illustrated in your 'two thumbs up' pictures, magazine extensions fitted on subcompact pistols help control the bottom of the front strap and mitigate their 'muzzle flip'. :)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Southlake likes this.
  6. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Gen 3

7. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I started carrying my G43x a few weeks ago and it has become my most carried gun. I like it much more than my G26. And it shoots great too.

8. Olga17

Olga17 C19 sounds like G19 Supporter

It is a P80 lower and is a nice fit for sure.
    Does not have quite the curve to it as a true G26 lower.

rbbeers and jhg like this.
  9. NQNPIII

I will hold off on a 43X. The grip on my 48 is really small to me. My brother doesn't like the size of the 48 grip either. He has smaller hands than me. The 43X, and 48 ought to have back straps.

I'm still pissed my 48 only has 2 mags with it. I mean, hey Glock? Really? :rolleyes:

10. jhg

jhg Gunslinger Supporter

My EDC is a G27, I like the 40 cals. My first choice in the longer barreled guns is the big fat 45 acp. I stay away from the 10mm and 357 sig because the ammo is way too expensive. I like the 380 as a small backup but think it is underpowered for EDC and HD. To each his own though. If you are happy with your caliber and shoot it well more power to you. For SHTF we all fall back to the 9mm mostly because of ammo cost.

Southlake, j102, RevV and 1 other person like this.
  11. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

26 is my favorite also, followed by 30, then 19. I can hit with my 22/17 but it's not comfortable.
    A 26 just feels like a natural extension of my hand. :)

Olga17, Southlake and j102 like this.
  12. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

I like my G44 a lot. It's had about 400 rds. of various jacketed brands through it (some of it 15 or so years old) and only one failure, a failure to fire. The round fired on second attempt. Not a single failure to eject or feed yet.

It's a great practice piece for people who regularly carry Glocks in fighting calibers.

And IMHO the Glock 44 has one huge, insurmountable advantage over the Taurus TX22--that advantage is that it is a Glock and not a Taurus!

I have owned 5 Taurus over the years. Got rid of 3 of them. The M85 is the only Taurus I really trust, but experiences and opinions vary.

j102, rbbeers and jhg like this.
  13. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Agree. With training & acclimation, it can be overcome, which is good for mass distribution as in the military or such. But if we're doing it for ourselves, we may as well get the fit we like from the outset. A family member came to our house Saturday to try out some guns & see if she could find one that she liked before buying one. Based on her wants, I had her try a Glock 43, an LCP, a Kahr PM9 and a Taurus 450C. The 450C is a weird option perhaps, but it's my wife's house gun and my wife likes it well enough that she suggested this cousin try it out. She was initially really leaning toward the LCP due to size and reduced power, but by the end of shooting all of them, she ended up going with the G43 instead. It's functionally about identical to the PM9 (same caliber, same capacity, basically same size), but it 'felt' better to her for some ungodly reason. So I sent it home with her along with some ammo for her and her husband to try out some more and see if she really likes it before committing to buying to buy one herself.

'Fit' may not seem like a big deal (and it is transcendable, if that's a word), but if she likes it better, she's more likely to actually use it and maybe get competent with it.

RevV likes this.
  14. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

While that's true, proficiency with an ill-fitting pistol has its limits.

Specifically, the more poorly a handgun fits, the more accuracy (good hits on target) degrades with speed.

Accuracy can indeed be maintained IF the shooting speed is slow... that is, if the shooter is essentially 'target shooting'.

However, if the shooter is rapid firing (e.g., combat, self defense, Action Pistol competition, et cetera), attempting to shoot a poorly fitting pistol at the same rate of fire as a well fitting pistol will cause accuracy to suffer rather significantly.

For example, today I practiced a bit with my KelTec P3AT (pictured below).

Gripping a micro-pistol 1b.JPG

It's the most ill-fitting pistol I own. :rolleyes:

Relative to shooting my competition pistol (a stock G17.5), the best I can do with the P3AT is double the group size at half the speed. :(

That's my point. :)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    LElliott, Lucian_253, RevV and 4 others like this.
  15. chowser51

chowser51 Well-Known Member

9mm and 357SIG.

I am down to one .45acp and only because I have a .45 suppressor.

i own three .40s that I haven’t shot since 2008 (old duty gun plus two off duty guns, gen3 glock 22/23/27). They’re just for nostalgia.

current issued caliber is 357 and a lot of my personal stuff is 9mm because suppressors!!

16. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Right now and funnily enough, 357Sig is cheaper than 9mm AND it's readily available!

Lucian_253 likes this.
  17. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Most European countries ban 9mm for the public as that's their military/police issue caliber. They don't want public equality with those entities.

RevV and Lucian_253 like this.
  18. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

Sad! Thank God for 2A!

jhg likes this.
  19. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I can’t even get that at my local Academy stores. Same goes for fishing tackle too

20. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

jhg likes this.