Caliber preference? 9MM? 10MM? .40? .380?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Dragnet, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just put an oem + base plate on my .357 sigs to gain my lost round back.

IMG_1603369443.436175.jpg

LElliott, jhg, Bayou and 3 others like this.
  2. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

:) Whatever works.

Bayou likes this.

3. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but to me .380 is a little under-powered.

Funny Fact: Last night I was watching a new unsolved series on Netflix and a detective from Norway said that 9 mm was not a typical defensive caliber but was more of an assault caliber! Does anyone know if Norway is on planet earth?

As for .38 special +P, .357, 9 mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, I have carried all of them and think all are adequate as conveniently carried handguns go.

LElliott likes this.
  4. Lucian_253

A lot of countries won’t let citizens own calibers their militaries use. Which is why Glock made the 25, & 28 years back.

LElliott, RevV and Bayou like this.
  5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Have all the mentioned calibers in autos & revolvvers. Prefer .45 acp when concealment is not a concern. A G21 or 1911. Concealed, 9, .40 in a sub compact auto. A G27, Shield or LC9s. Revo, LCR .357 snub.

jhg and j102 like this.
  6. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

“Is Norway on planet earth?”
    Sometimes their heads are not; you can order marijuana as an appetizer in many of their restaurants.

jhg and RevV like this.
  7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Simply stated, the lower the power factor of the cartridge, the more care that must be exercised when choosing a self-defense round... with the focus being the expected performance of the bullet.

The .380 Auto has just a few commercial self-defense cartridges that perform well... but they do exist. :)

Ammo Quest .380 Final Wrapup: finding the BEST ammo for a .380ACP pistol

Ammo Quest .380 ACP: Lehigh XP Xtreme Penetrator test in ballistic gel

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    j102, RevV, Lucian_253 and 2 others like this.
  8. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Definitely less than optimal imo as well. But as RBBeers pointed out, the best modern loads are tailored for their specific platforms. IE, a .355" jhp loaded for 380 will be substantially different construction than a similar-weight .355" jhp loaded for 9mm or a .357" jhp for .38 special, etc. A long time ago, mfr's tended to take the same bullet and just push it faster to achieve "better performance"; now if we shop around we can find loads specifically tailored for the velocity they're used at.

While some calibers are definitely more capable than others just due to the amount of raw power they have on tap, the gap between calibers nowadays is not only closing, it's to the point where there's a lot of actual overlap in a lot of cases. If I'm pushing a 35-caliber, 90-110 grain bullet, at between 800 & 900 fps, am I shooting a .380 or a .38 snub? Could be either, yet as a society we tend to think of the .38 special as 'more capable' than the 380. I used to carry a J-frame revolver as a primary, and the much-smaller LCP carried as backup in my pocket now is not only nearly as powerful, but holds 40 percent more ammo. If I could consider the 5 shot j-frame as acceptable (which I did), I don't know how I can think of something ballistically similar and 40% higher capacity as less than acceptable.

Similarly, the .45acp I used to carry (Federal 185 grain at a measured 816 fps from my gun) was actually less powerful than the 9mm I now carry, so going "down" to the 9mm doesn't bother me at all - as long as I get to pick the ammo in it.

I tend to want 'more' as most of us do and not pushing the .380 as the best defensive round or anything; my main edc gun is a 9mm and will probably continue to be for a long time. But just saying that if I'm allowed to pick the load and the launcher, I'm comfortable with a wide range of specific calibers.

RevV, Sparky_D, Lucian_253 and 4 others like this.
  9. Lucian_253

IMG_1603513481.482739.jpg

The 365 really killed the only reason I ever carried a .380.

jhg, Southlake, j102 and 2 others like this.
  10. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    That picture explains it!

jhg and j102 like this.
  11. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

With so many small 9mm guns out there, 9mm is the way to go. The P365 changed history.

12. Olga17

Olga17 C19 sounds like G19 Supporter

Wonder how that P365 pairs up to a G26?

13. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

upload_2020-10-24_21-34-4.jpeg

RevV, Danzig, jhg and 2 others like this.
  14. Olga17

Olga17 C19 sounds like G19 Supporter

It is close enough for me to keep the G26 in a holster.
    I shoot my G26 better than my other Glocks and I have no idea why.
    G17 has an RMR cut with a red dot and I still shoot better with the G26?

RevV and jhg like this.
  15. rbbeers

My guess is 'fit'. :)

The contours of the backstraps of the different size Glocks (standard, compact, and subcompact) are... well... different.

For example, the G19 backstrap compared to the G17 is shown below.

G17 Gen 4 vs G19 Gen 4 backstaps 1b.jpg

The differences between the G26 and G19 backstraps are similar, the stocks are just shorter.

Simply stated, as the stock shortens, the 'Glock hump' at the bottom of the stock moves higher in the palm of the hand... affecting 'fit'.

'Fit' is much more important than many realize. o_O

It seems that the G26 stock fits you very well. :D

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    RevV, Danzig, Southlake and 1 other person like this.
  16. UNLESS the smaller 9mm hurt to shoot..like the 365 and Glock 43 and Ruger LC9 did for me.

Not a fan of taking it to the range, shooting one magazine 'just to make sure it works'..grimacing and putting it away. I shoot all my guns, gotta be FTS(Fun To Shoot)..to ensure reliability, and competency with any of these I own. And to have fun....

17. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

I get tired of preaching to some people about the weight of the projectile VS barrel length.

I have little interest in 180gr .40. The way they lightly load it that round frequently doesn't cross the expansion threshold. What it does out of my G22 VS my G27?

Same thing with 230gr .45acp. I'll go lighter for more velocity.

A friend has a P90 Ruger (.45acp) 7+1. I would take that in a HD scenario vs his Ruger 7 shot .357. He thinks that one shot from a .357 is going to magically drop the bad guy. I'm not Jerry Miculeck, I can't shoot and reload that fast. Multiple invaders in a house in the country is a very real scenario. He has his carry permit and never carries on his person. He's a big boy and used to fight mixed martial arts. I don't want to get up close and personal with the bad guys.

My G45, or my Extar9 do the HD duties. I have a fenced yard with 3 big dogs. I can get to much more violent weaponry in a few seconds if needed. Multiple loaded AR's in the safe including a x39 10.5" AR47.

18. rbbeers

Really?!?! o_O

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40 S&W Short Barrel Ammo Gel Test (HD)

While the Hornady Critical Duty bullet (in the video above) under-expanded and over-penetrated, note that the Critical Duty bullet is designed to penetrate barriers, which requires a 'tougher' jacket. The Critical Defense bullet has a 'less tough' jacket and is designed to expand more and penetrate less. Accordingly, my guess is that the Critical Defense round would've performed more in line with the Federal Tactical Bonded, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dot cartridges.

.45 ACP Gold Dot test: regular vs short barrel, in Springfield XDS and ClearBallistics gel

Can it still expand? .45 Auto Federal 230gr HST Short Barrel Gel Test

.45 ACP SHORT BARREL TEST: 230 gr +P Federal HST

Given the results of the testing above, credible references pertinent to modern self-defense cartridges that support your 'concerns' would be greatly appreciated. :D

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Southlake likes this.
  19. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

That Taurus TX22 beats the snot out of the G44 in all categories. Like I need another .22! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

The difference is in thickness. The G26 is 26% thicker than the P365.

Imagine if your belly were 26% thicker.

The G26 is a great shooter.

At least for me it is because of recoil management. With the 17 and 19, the grip sits lower in my hand and flips when the round is fired.

With the G26, the grip sits in my palm and pushes straight back when fired.

That along with a thicker grip as compared to the P365 makes the G26 a great shooter.

RevV, TheKraken, jhg and 2 others like this.