CA firearm transportation question

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jolo1130, May 12, 2012.

1. jolo1130

jolo1130 New Member

Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me. I just purchased my first glock and was trying to figure out the legal way to transport. I know that the gun and ammo must be separate an the firearm must be locked. But does the ammo have to be in a locked container as well? Or if the firearm is locked that is good enough?
    I appreciate your help

2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

ammo does not have to be locked.

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I would say check your own states laws on the gov website. I always say better safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents

4. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

The ammo doesn't have to be locked but you can't have a loaded magazine inserted in the gun

5. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

In CA...

Ammo is not required to be locked.

Handgun must be in a "locked container" other than the glove box. Locked container isn't defined so a lockable box, case or bag will suffice.

Handgun cannot be loaded with a round and/or a loaded magazine. (It's best to transport with an empty mag well.)

Both should be stored out of reach of you as the driver. Trunk (or trunk area of an SUV) is best. In a pickup, I suppose the farthest corner from you is what you'd have to use. Perhaps other forum members with pickup trucks can weigh in.

A long gun simply needs to be unloaded and stored out of reach. A trigger or action locking device is recommended.

CCW has different regulations.

6. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I own a pick up and I put my long gun behind the seat of my pick up with my gun case locked.

7. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

This is the Best Answer I could find and it is on the CHP Website:
    http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
    California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.
    If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.
    [​IMG]
    Hope this Helps!

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum jolo1130 !!

(Thanks you sgtcowboyusmc...)

Jolo...the best source of information for your question would be your local and state government websites.