Buying new vs. used not worth it?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by s2gots, Jan 5, 2012.

1. s2gots

s2gots New Member

Ca
    Once I made up my mind which first glock to buy, I decided on the 10mm 20. For the past few days I've been searching locally and on the web and from what I've found, it just doesn't make sense to buy used. The cheaped I've found a new 20 is around $560 plus tax and dros. The cheapest I've found a used 20 is around 450, and that's out of state. So adding the ffl fee of around $70 here in ca, Plus shipping it just doesn't seem to make sense to save less than $100. anyone feel the same way? Am I not looking in the correct places? I looked at the usual spots, gunbroker, gunsamerica...any advice?
    Tia

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Be patient and maybe a used one will come through a local gun shop or if you join GSSF you can purchase new for $490, give or take if you have one of their dealers local.

3. s2gots

s2gots New Member

Ca
    Well that's what I'm trying to say, buying used isn't really worth it! Unless a used glock, the 20 in my case, is found for under $400 it's not worth the savings over new. Just seeing if others share my opinion...

4. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Truthfully, consider yourself very lucky to find a G20 for less than $450, so yep, if your local shop has a new one in stock, grab it and enjoy

5. fls348

fls348 New Member

Just my two cents; I actually prefer used, I like someone else spending all the money and time to break them in. I'll almost always take a used over new but others are right, you have to be patient and wait for a good deal. However when that deal comes along it makes it that much better........

6. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

I have purchased both new and used and little difference. Glock does not need "broke in" like other brands.

7. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Being in California, where you are far less likely to see a used one float through a LGS, you're probably right.

Around me, most Glocks are selling ~$500+ new, where I can find used ones for $299-$349.

I've bought used and new. For me, condition and price matter. I've gotten 2 used Glocks that were in such good condition that they might as well have been new, and in both cases saved over $100 vs. buying the same gun new.

8. timw

timw New Member

All of my Glock pistols have been police trade-ins. My dealer is a Glock law-enforcement distributor so he gets pristine trade ins along with the well used ones. I have always found as-new models from this dealer I pay between $350 and $425 all with night sights. Never had a problem.

9. I've bought new and used,
    IMO;
    new= better factory support, simply unmolested !

used= already nice and smooth (or is stating to get there),the enjoyment of learning it's history, searching for specific special prefix's.

10. So far I have bought all of my firearms new and will continue to as long as the funds will allow it. I just prefer new over pre-owned. Other then that, there is nothing wrong with buying used if you are on a budget. Just make sure you fully look over the used firearm to make sure that it functions like its suppose to.

11. s2gots

s2gots New Member

Ca
    Used is good for the right price, as others stated under $400! But in CA it's not going to happen, new will be the way to go for me, plus it'll be my first glock, so it will be more 'special'!

12. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I agree, if anything the used one may need new springs if its been heavily used.

13. G1D

G1D New Member

buying used is ok as long as its been checked by a Certified Glock Armorer and there are a lot of LEO trade-ins to be found. Now on the other hand, Some models seem to never hit the used market unless you look really hard. The most common I see on the used market are 17,19,22,& 23 because LEO's use these as duty weapons mostly. 10mm & 45's show up sometimes but are rare to see floating around very long. I have bought both ways with confidence. ($70 for ffl transfer in CA is just crazy, WOW)

14. s2gots

s2gots New Member

Ca
    Yep, it's rediculous. That reason alone takes away the benefit of buying used here in ca!!

15. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Active Member

Support your local gun shops!!!
    See what they can do in ordering a gun for us.

16. Well to me any amount of money you can save is good,my 23 i bought used and saved bout 80 bucks at the time and my 36 i bought new cause i couldnt find a used one at the time and my 23 shoots better then the 36.You say it's not worth it if it's less then 100 bucks well to me it is,that's money saved to use to buy holster ammo or whatever,dont discount buying used.

17. I love buying new. My local store, that I wish to support, doesnt sell used guns. I asked why and they told me that they dont make money on used. (Bull? Maybe...) I also am having a hard time pulling the trigger (pun intended) on online sites for used because I cant see it in person. (Maybe its just me being picky, but I think Im allowed to be :D ) And I know I could return it if I wasnt happy but it just seems like alot of work. I think its all going to depend on you. Ill conclude by saying If I could buy pristine used I would...for the right price.

18. s2gots

s2gots New Member

Ca
    The money saved needs to be justified. Like others have said, pristine condition. And also availability!!! The 20's are damn hard to find used...
    But to each their own... And what makes then happy!!!

19. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic New Member

Ive purchased several glocks, all but one were used. Ive been perfectly satisfied with all the used ones. The only problem with buying used is sometimes u dont get the box and two clips etc. otherwise used is definitely my preference.

20. fls348

fls348 New Member

I've bought all used guns but two and most have been Glocks. As far as Glock's go I prefer used, I don't own any Glock safe queens, I like them a little roughed up with some wear, when I buy I usually look for ones with more finish wear, I get them way cheaper and have yet to have an issue with any. To me it gives it some character and then I don't ever have to worry about scratches or rubs or wear spots. I run my guns hard, and to me, at least on Glocks, the finish is way tougher than I am hard. My G19 hardly has much black left on the slide, it's much more of a dark grey, the gun has about 15k down the barrel and 15yrs. of carry on it. I've never seen one spec of rust anywhere on the thing. I know that tenifer is tough but until you really put some serious miles on a Glock you just can't really believe it till you see it.