buying my first handgun/glock

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by willstgr, Apr 30, 2012.

1. willstgr

willstgr New Member

I am a first time hand gun buyer and i have heard nixed things about glocks but never from an actual glock owner so i was wonder about what owners thought and i am thinking about the g23 or g19

2. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Congrats on your choice to purchase a firearm, what things have you heard? Both the 23 and 19 are excellent handguns. You can purchase the 23 and get a barrel conversion and shoot 9mm out of it.

3. willstgr

willstgr New Member

Ive heard its not reliale

4. willstgr

willstgr New Member

Hit send by mistake but ive heard that some are not reliable but easy to fix and change out easy to shoot and things about the gen 4 not working correctly

5. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I'm also a first time gun owner (2 weeks now) will. I went with a Glock because of reliability and not because of what everyone else that bashed it said. All my friends and family own springfield armory guns. Guess what, my buddies xd40 failed to feed on the first mag I shot through it. 350 rounds through my Glock 17.gen 4 with NO issues at all. Good luck on your choice. Try to rent some at a range before jumping into anything though.

6. willstgr

willstgr New Member

Thank you and that soubds like a great idea and im looking for anything actual glock ownes have to tell me im here to learn as much as i can so that i can make a good choice because as i said ive heard things but not glock owners so i would trust what you here at the glock fourms say about these things

7. willstgr

willstgr New Member

That sounds like a great idea rick thanks i will deffentaly go do that and shoot a few before buying

8. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I have never heard a glock isn't reliable. ANYWHERE. Even the 1911 forums don't usually trash glock reliability.

9. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I second this. It usually comes down to preference for most, but alot of people do respect the reliability

10. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

There were problems with the Gen 4s when they were initially released. Glock has since fixed it. So any Gen 4 you buy now is good to go.

11. willstgr

willstgr New Member

I work in a small town in ga and was in the gun shop when i heard it from a customer

12. Glock897

Glock897 Member

Tons of police agencies use Glock. . That should prove that they are reliable.

13. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

You'll be fine, just pick what you like and stick with it. You won't go wrong with Glock either way.

14. willstgr

willstgr New Member

That does prove that point pretty well i did not even know they did

15. Devinh2

Devinh2 Guest

I bought my first Glock in 1988 and have added several more to the collection. Have NEVER had any problems with any of them. (besides not having enough money to shoot all the time)!! :)

16. willstgr

willstgr New Member

Sounds good i really like the glock just the things i had heard worried me a bit but now i hear the truths from owners i feel alot better about and and i know glock will be a great choice i guess i need to choose the model i want

17. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

I have a G23 GEN 4 and I've put over 800 rounds though it so far and I have had ZERO problems not a 1.

I also have a G27 GEN 4 & put 600 rounds though it and have not had any issues with it.

I have owed servile GLOCKS and never had any issues with any of them.

I'm not saying the issues are not out there because I have seen the UTUBE videos and read the post on here about some of the issues mostly with the G19 GEN 4 when it first came out. But GLOCK was quick to fix the issues.

IMO you just can't go wrong when buying a GLOCK.

18. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Beware of buying a Glock!

Once you own one you will want 2 then 3 and on and on it goes. I was a revolver guy and purchased my first Glock about 3 months ago a G17G4 then added a G19C now looking at a G26G4. So you are forewarned Glocks are so good they are addicting! I carry every day and reliability and ease of use are the main reasons I chose Glock! I go to range weekly and put anywhere between 100 - 300 rounds through the G's have yet to have FTE or any malfunction. They eat whatever 9mm ammo I purchase. Once you decide on what gun you want regardless of make / model go to training not just CCW training. This forum is awesome the people are helpful and willing to help us newbies along. Welcome you will like it here

19. willstgr

willstgr New Member

Thanks sounds good and will do and thanks to everyone for helping clear up my concerns and i work on taking the classes

20. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

A) Goes BANG EVERY TIME!
    B) Simple to take down, simple to clean.
    C) Safe, you have to pull the trigger to get the round to go off, period.
    D) It's what my local PD carry, SHTF we all have interchangeable magazines and plenty of ammo.

Do us a favor and before you buy, post what the deal is and we'll let you know if its good or not. We don't want you overpaying.

Renting guns is a great start to finding which one you like the most. The ultimate decision is yours, get what YOU want, don't let anyone tell you differently.