Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have been looking for this answer all night and can't find a clear one. Can I as a Ohio resident go to a gun shop in Kentucky and buy a rifle a bring it home with me? I appreciate any help/answers!

· Registered
1,141 Posts
You can take a long gun home but not a handgun. Have bought rifles at a couple of places in KY but had to have handguns shipped to FFL in WV

Reactions: Old Bloke

· Registered
427 Posts
G17_Ian said:
An AK 47... Really got the itch for one!
I'm from Kentucky and when I moved out of state and got a Las Vegas drivers license I had to use my uncle (Ky resident) to use his ID to buy 2 x AK-47s I got from a pawn shop when I went back to visit. We then did a bill of sale to make it legal. Everyone should have an AK!

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Handguns have to be cleared for purchase in your state of residence. Buy from PSA, it has to go to a local FFL and you have to complete the paperwork for it.
Long guns are usually less strict. Same paperwork, but different rules. Some states require you be in a bordering stater to purchase (without extra hoops), or I've been told.
Glad you found your answer.

Reactions: Old Bloke

· Registered
211 Posts
Hey all I have been looking for this answer all night and can't find a clear one. Can I as a Ohio resident go to a gun shop in Kentucky and buy a rifle a bring it home with me? I appreciate any help/answers!
Years ago, I purchased a gun from an Ohio shop, and I was a West Virginia resident. The gun shop owner in Ohio, called up an FFL in WV that he used for transfers.

We went over the Ohio River and did the paperwork, a face to face FFL to an FFL, who signed off on the sale. And I went home with the gun.

If states are contiguous, some allow that kind of transfer. BTW: it was a revolver.

· Registered
211 Posts
I'm from Kentucky and when I moved out of state and got a Las Vegas drivers license I had to use my uncle (Ky resident) to use his ID to buy 2 x AK-47s I got from a pawn shop when I went back to visit. We then did a bill of sale to make it legal. Everyone should have an AK!
I would stop posting that, the ATF considers that to be a straw man purchase.

You are right to say that everyone should have an AK, or a long gun, that has a punch.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,429 Posts
a tangent, sort of. can an ffl holder from one state buy a gun in another non-bordering state by showing their ffl at the store without having it shipped?
No. FFL has to conduct business at his listed address. There is a provision for gun shows but I never dealt with that while I worked in the gun industry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.