Buying a 22 pistol vs a conversion kit

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by wareaglescott, Apr 25, 2012.

1. wareaglescott

wareaglescott New Member

Am looking to buy a 22 pistol of some type to allow more range time at a reasonable cost. I was looking at the Advantage arms conversion kit for my G17. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it any good? I can buy a separate pistol for roughly the same cost and was looking for opinions on which would be a good way to go?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

If you can buy a good .22 pistol instead of a conversion kit...I say go with the pistol.

Shooter sez: 2 guns are always better than 1...;)

( Unless, of course, you want to practice more with the G17...for cheap )

3. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Go for a 22 pistol. For $300 you can get a Ruger sr22. Which is awesome and reliable with bulk ammo! Most conversion kits or 22 pistol for that matter are picky. So check the sr22 out

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

Got a conversion unit for my 1911 many years back when they weren't cost prohibitive. Biggest advantage is the unit allows you to train with that particular platform. I could shoot economically all day and stay familiar with my 1911's. The only difference is the .22lr doesn't make as loud a bang.

5. wareaglescott

wareaglescott New Member

6. SteveC

SteveC New Member

+1. Advantage is training with the same gun. Advantage of getting .22 pistol is having another pistol :D. I have a couple of .22 pistols and really like the S&W 22A. About $250, accurate, easy to take down.