bulged brass question

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by deputy125, Feb 1, 2012.

1. deputy125

deputy125 New Member

TX
    and a question about the various generations of glocks..........

specifically 40 cal, is it true that glock has tightened up the chamber tolerance over the years and increased chamber support to reduce brass bulge?

concerning range brass that is picked up, what particular die or tool do you recomend to remove said bulge from the brass?

if the bulge has been removed from the brass, is that particular area of the brass case weakened from being "worked" more therefore reducing the life of the case?

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Aftermarket barrels doesn't do it as bad, and the 40 is still notorious for it. Lee makes a bulge buster kit that will remove it, as far as how many times I do not know. Brass is more malleable than most metals, so it takes shape without becoming brittle. Just follow the direction that comes with it and you'll be ok.

3. lauritzencl

lauritzencl New Member

I have been reloading 40 and have not noticed any issues yet.

4. deputy125

deputy125 New Member

TX
    we seem to have a lot of 40 brass left on the range.......might be more out of fear of reloading that particular cartridge than anything.

the 38 spl and 45 brass gets picked up regularly.......

5. lauritzencl

lauritzencl New Member

How much per 100 rnds shipped to south Dakota ......

6. bluzy788

bluzy788 New Member

What's a bag or Rem or Win brass cost compared to a destroyed handgun? The trouble with range brass is that unless you see the previous shooter pull it from a new box of ammo, you have no idea how many times it's been shot or if it has been reloaded at pressures beyond safe. After shooting cheap new brass abd one-time range brass and seeing deformations and cracks after half a dozen reloads, I have switched to Starline brass. It's more expensive, but for me is just part of doing business.

7. unless it's just an out of control bulge i just run it thru the sizing die a few times and get it straight. Inspect it inside and and out to see if there are any cracks and then it's good. I just reloaded 900 rounds of .40 over the past week. I'll do the other 100 today and put that 1000 away for a rainy day.

8. malladus

malladus New Member

Usually a few times through a Glock doesn't bulge it to the point it won't resize correctly. If a sizing die is full length it will usually take the bulge out nicely. The dillon dies though because they are beveled however tend not to get the bulge all the way out and you may wing up with guppy brass.

Gentleman I shoot steel with has been reloading the same 1000 rounds or so long enough on his dillon that he gets 40s where the bulge has been flattened out and forms a belt around the web above the case head. He didn't notice until he switch from his gen 2 model 24 to a EAA Witness and started have issues with the gun not going fully in to battery.

On the subject of range brass, I RO several matches a year including some "lost brass matches" and I've never had issues with failures. The key is to inspect the brass before you use it and watch for the signs of fatigue and work hardening and toss that brass as soon as possible. For some of my 9mm for steel it's on it's 10 or 12th time around the block. But then again I don't tend to push the power to much so it takes it longer to start having issues.

malladus