Bug out bags

Discussion in 'Survival and Preparation' started by BLCKWLF, Feb 8, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

By one got a bug out bag, and if so what's in it and why?

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

1 emergency blanket per family member
    1 emergency poncho per family member
    2 pair socks per family member
    TP
    wet wipes
    germidical medical wipes
    zippo
    lighter fluid
    magnesium fire starter
    72hr food kit from Wise
    8 20oz bottles water
    multi-tool (leatherman)
    large 'survival' knife
    3" folder knife x2
    gloves
    Ruger MKII with 3 mags
    500rd of 22lr
    compass
    2 bottles of water purifier (50pills/bottle)
    6 sterno
    2 flashlights
    duct tape
    electrical tape
    paracord (100')

Seperate bag of first aid supplies
    quickclot (sponges not granule)
    sutures
    anitdiarea
    aspirin
    orajel
    antibiotics (rotate often)
    lidocaine (topical OTC)
    moldable split
    airways
    triangle bandages
    hot packs
    cold packs
    various size sterile bandages
    medical tape
    ace bandages

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

3. gnihcraes

gnihcraes New Member

I have four ready to go, one for each member of the family. Each with a duplicate of items. I don't have a list handy to post, but multiple ways to start fires, some food, multiple water purification methods, medical supplies, para cord rubber gloves, masks, knife, space blanket, fork, spoon, signal mirror (old cdrom) whistle, asprin, motrin, ibuprofen, 0000 steel wool, toilet paper, painters tarp/plastic, chapstick, snap lights, soap, trashbags, condoms, duct tape, etc.

I'm sure someone will ask about some of these items. I'm willing to explain. :)

Kelty Backpacks, great support, very comfortable, lots of lashing loops, large expanding capacity. (2500 to 3100 cubic inches) Smaller ones for the wife and daughter. I bought most of them off craigslist cheap, compared to in store purchase.

[​IMG]

Each vehicle has similar items already in them, everything is pretty much a duplicate (rubber maid tub). Each vehicle only carries enough for one person though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

A bugout bag for each family member, containing (among many other things already mentioned):

Common items (such as our pool of food...all MREs) spread evenly. We have sufficient food for a family of 4 for 30 days.
    A firearm assigned to each person plus ammo, and their choice of a firearm plus ammo.
    Each one has a green smoke grenade and a maritime-type waterproof flare gun, spotting glasses and a whistle.
    Two catydid reverse-osmosis water purfification kits plus battery-powered ultraviolet sterizier (add solar powered battery charger, 12-volt).
    All my family's important documents sealed in multiple ziplocs. DLs and other IDs get tossed in when the time comes.

A separate SHTF case that can be carried by 2 adults and tossed into the back of the Hummer with more gear: tents, camoflauged material (12'x12') desert pattern.
    Entrenching tool.
    Spool of CAT2 station wire (2-wire phone cord).
    An assortment of otherwise inert chemicals that I know how to use properly.
    20' of primacord, acquired and possessed legally.
    50 silver Mexican Peso coins from the 1800s, for barter.
    Two complete ladies' makeup kits (for my wife and kids to use as barter goods).
    My reloading kit plus 10,000 primers each of SP, SR, and LP, and gunpowder. Includes my bullet moulds and propane kiln.
    The Hummer always gets tanked up at 1/4 tank, so it is always full, and has 2 5-gallon jerry cans on the spare tire carrier, and two more cans can be lashed to the roof rack.

75-lb pull compound bow and assortment of broadhead and narrow point quills.
    Bible double-wrapped in plastic bags.

At a location some distance from where I live I have buried some other interesting items, which include several firearms not traceable to me and ammunition for them. An old Hallicrafters shortwave radio, 2 12-volt car batteries and a WW2-style hand-cranked generator and another solar 12-volt charging panel. Extra clothes for winter (you can always cut them up in the summer, and if it'll be your 2nd post-apocalypse winter and you are still wandering, you need to change your game). Packages of seeds for fruit trees (Cherries, applies, dried tomato seeds, and such). 2 ER surgical kits (my wife is a nurse). A sealed shoebox full of dessicant packs and a bunch of ziplocs in many sizes, for whatever we may come across. A polaroid 660 camera and 15 packs of film for it (I know, the film is expired so the colors will be off, but after time the colors will fade anyway). A spare Dell Mini netbook (320GB SSD drive) and extra battery pack for it, with car charger. It has the Microsoft GPS receiver built into it. A handheld police scanner (rechargeable penlights) and an old portable Airband VHF and commercial AM/FM receiver (rechargeable D cells). Two cases of MREs sufficient for my family of 4 for 60 days and four cases of 24-pack bottled water. About once a year I go out there with a friend (who acts as lookout) and dig it up and replace things like the batteries. The Dell netbook I just added last year.

As long as my house doesn't burn down, there are other items I have secured around the outside of the house that I can come back for if needed, like ladders, shovels, empty gas cans (valuable when scavenging) and 2 sheets of 4x8 7-layer bulletproof glass. Don't know why I ever got it, but I got it and who knows, I may need it?

Depending on what happens, a quick bugout GTHOD (get the hell outta dodge) escape may be all that is needed plus lay low for a while. If the situation deteriorates or does not improve, then the buried cache gets dug up.

5. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Well-Known Member Supporter

Really? What exactly are you running away from?

oh and IBTL too

6. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

bhale187, I really like your list, but what I'm wondering is what type of lidocaine are you referring to? Topical, as in OTC, or injectable, as in what a hospital uses?

7. bhale187

OTC topical
    It has so many uses for comforting iritations and injuries.
    burns, rashes, cuts, scrapes, etc

It's really in there for the kids or maybe wife. I think of the bug out bags and the get home bags as preparedness for anything, most likely that will be a natural disaster, flooding, tornado, earthquake....we get it all in Illinois :(

8. bhale187

A bug out bag is just a common name for an emergency prepardness bag. Something that even FEMA and the CDC advise to have ready for disasters.

Why would the thread be locked?

9. havasu

As long as we have to deal with earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, civil unrest or zombie attacks, having a bug out bag just makes sense. And no, this thread will never be locked, but I can assure you it will get bigger.

golfnglock likes this.
  10. nyycanseco33

This is a Glock Forum, not a bug out bag forum... Nowhere in this thread is anything related to or referenced to Glock... I am well aware of what a bug out bag is, my comment was sarcasm and you people pack way too much stuff... You can do more with much less

11. havasu

Thanks for the reminder nyycanseco33. I've moved this thread into the off topic category.

12. nyycanseco33

Not trying to be a d*ck, just trying to keep things organized... Have been in another well known forum and seen things get out of hand... I agree bug out bags serve a purpose but don't pack so much though, like I said a little bit goes a long ways with the right tools and training

13. nyycanseco33

bhale is correct, that topical lidocaine is great. I have used it for myself and my family members and I do suggest you invest in some also... Might cost a bit but it's def well worth it... Usually comes in a white and yellow tube like toothpaste and is easy to use

14. bhale187

I've got my BOB contents split into 3 bags, none weighing 10lbs. 2 bags with the main list of contents and 1 with the medical supplies. This is for a family of 4, packing any less, IMO, is not preparing for the range of emergencies it's intended to contend with.

YMMV

On a related note, I vote for green font as the official color for sarcasm, it's too easily missed as sarcasm in the printed word. :D

And I often miss what subforum things are listed in because i just open the 'new posts' link and don't look at where it was posted.

15. nyycanseco33

You make great points and 10lbs in a 5lb bag is impressive for a family of 4 (lol yes a joke)... Seriously you providing supplies for you and your family is great and I have nothing but respect for anyone who does that...

I agree about the font, very hard to convey emotion here in writing... I just wanted to drop an IBTL cause in another forum it's kind of a fun game lol, it happens to the best of us and I'm sure you'll drop one on me someday too lol...

I have a BOB, I use a tactical backpack with pockets filled with essential items for survival such as mre's, water tablets, camelback, hydration pouches (Gatorade), simple hand tools, a folding saw, camping hatchet, flashlight, waterproof matches, fire striker, medical supplies/advanced 1st aid (I'm an emt so I have a complete kit), a poncho, folding knife and a large survival knife, para cord, extra batteries, gloves, TP, toiletries, ammo and whatever handgun/long gun I decide to take that day and some other little items that I just can't think of right now... I use it for hiking and hunting also so it serves multiple purposes

I do have a separate bag with thermal underwear/socks, hot hand and body warmers, and enough room for a change of clothes to take too

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  16. havasu

The reason I mentioned the lidocaine is because I was for a few years, a vet tech for a horse doctor. I had a rabbit that partially lost an ear and needed to amputate the remainder, so I was given injectable lidocaine and syringes. That stuff works wonders and was just wondering if the topical worked in the same manner.

17. nyycanseco33

I have experience with both the cream and the injectable (ER/OR clinical time for my AEMT certification) and yes they work the same however the injectable seems a bit cleaner and much better to localize the treatment but the lidocaine cream is easier and quicker to use in my opinion... Either one you choose will be effective :)

18. havasu

Good to know. Without an EMT cert I was always worried about the legal ramifications but didn't want to get rid of it because it worked so well.

19. nyycanseco33

Even with an emt cert and in your case also it's still a sticky situation because you have needles which could be misconstrued as drug paraphernalia by the wrong people. LEO doesn't always act on common sense or rationality because of the laws that they are forced to enforce and if they catch you then it could be bad... Just a worst case scenario though, not saying it could happen but you never know and we are all friends here and I'd hate for a friend to get in trouble for trying to do the right thing... In the end, do what's best for you and your family, that's what matters most