Glock Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If this needs to be moved, moderators please move.

OK! my question does have to do with firearms.

So, how many loaded magazines do you carry or would you think should be in your bug out bag?
Or since it all depends on what caliber you have. Lets just say how many rounds do you think should be in a bug out bag?

Ok heres another question. Would you have another firearm in your bug out bag in addition to your conceal carry weapon or is your cc your bug out weapon?

I'm in the process of putting together a bug out bag and just getting ideas from the forum as to what other people have or think. This question is hindged on all aspects of disaster whether natural or unnatural which would also have to do with Zombies. My home is 30 miles from my work in the country.

Side note: Wish i could get a G18 for my bug out bag, or 2 think they would be alot better then a regular semi auto Glock especially with a silencer. Regular Glocks would be fine and better then nothing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would think 2-300 rounds would be managable to carry. I am basing that off of the 9mm I have.

As far as having a gun in my bag, right know I only have 2 pistols. So when one is being my ccw, the other is my hd pistol. So I use my ccw for the bug out bag. But the other is just across the bed from the bag at all times.

I would like to pick up another one soon just for that reason though.

·
Banned
308 Posts
FullDraw said:
I would think 2-300 rounds would be managable to carry. I am basing that off of the 9mm I have.
I know for a fact that 250 round boxes of .45 are heavy, so 9 must be more manageable. Maybe 8lbs or so.. That's a lot of extra weight to be carrying around.

I'm not a prepper, but I've read advice about stationing/hiding kits along your bugout route where you can always grab more as needed.

The objective of a bugout is defensive in nature: you'll obviously want to avoid other people and should not need a lot of ammo to lay down covering fire to backtrack or escape. A few spare mags should do the trick, after all, accuracy is more important than the # of rounds.

If you have to carry that bag 30 miles, you'll want food and water and you won't want that bag weighed down by lots of weight. If you pay attention to staying under cover while traveling to your bugout locale, water will definitely be more important than ammo.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Quite honestly, packing light is a great suggestion, but if you could manage to pack between 250-300 rounds, thats what I would recommend.

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
Quite honestly, packing light is a great suggestion, but if you could manage to pack between 250-300 rounds, thats what I would recommend.

Water weighs over 8 1/4 lbs, not counting the jugs. Knife, hatchet, maybe a machete, fire starting supplies. Adds up quick if it's on your back and not in your vehicle. A G17, 5 mags and a 50 box in the bag on each person in your group should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
The discovery and use of fire is central to mankind. YouTube "fire starting" if your serious about the thought of "bugging-out".

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
best fire starter for the money, size, and ease of use
http://www.coghlans.com/products/magnesium-fire-starter-7870

That tiny tool and a little bit of knowledge can save your life in a multitude of situations.
Abso-freakin'-lutely. They're cheap, small, light and if you buy a bunch, it'll probably make a good barter item for food if needed.

There's one in every one of my PVC stash tubes. I give them to friends as a keychain.;)

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
BTW, one of my reasons for going Glock was in case of if SHTF. The guns will take incredible punishment in all types of weather and still keep on rocking.

I've seen a Glock pulled from a fire and shoot. Left in a bucket of water and shoot. Busted out of a block of ice and shoot. Covered in sand, shook off and shoot. Pulled out of a bucket of mud, rinsed off and shoot. I've even seen one shoot under water.

As much as I loved my Beretta 96D for over 19 years, no way would it withstand all that punishment.

·
Banned
202 Posts
best fire starter for the money, size, and ease of use
http://www.coghlans.com/products/magnesium-fire-starter-7870

That tiny tool and a little bit of knowledge can save your life in a multitude of situations.
That might work well but a disposable cigarette lighter is better (because it actually makes fire).

I won't keep a gun in my emergency gear. I don't have an extra one to spare, for one. But also, I rarely ever don't have it on my hip which means, in the event of an emergency, I'll already have it with me.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
cigarette lighters work great when they they are dry and there is no wind. I've been on plenty of hiking and camping trips when there wasn't a lighter amoung us that would work, and I've yet to have a magnessium starter fail to work ;)

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
And a firestarter will last a lot longer than the gas in your BIC.

·
Are we there yet?
784 Posts
As far as guns in the bug out bag, I'd consider .22lr and 500 to 1000 rounds. A compact rifle or target pistol, and/or a couple revolvers for me, the Lady and the kids. A box of 9mm and .357 for our primary carry guns.

For the firestarting, alcohol swabs are a big help and have plenty of other uses. Add a box of them to your first aid kit.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I think Bhale had a great thread started about bug out bags and the supplies that he includes... Other people also shared what they have in their bags and you can see the similarities and also the differences due to location/region that they live and their needs due to being single or including a family size setup. Is really worth looking for that thread, not many posts in it but there certainly is a lot of info that was provided :)

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I think Bhale had a great thread started about bug out bags and the supplies that he includes... Other people also shared what they have in their bags and you can see the similarities and also the differences due to location/region that they live and their needs due to being single or including a family size setup. Is really worth looking for that thread, not many posts in it but there certainly is a lot of info that was provided :)
Here's a link to that thread
http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f15/bug-out-bags-1078/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts