Breached round

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by gen4, Apr 10, 2012.

1. gen4

gen4 New Member

Had a breached round using 115 grain Winchester bulk white box from Walmart. The rounds cleared the barrel but, the gun jammed because the barrel bulged an inch from the end. This wouldn't allow the upper slide back. Has this happened to anyone else?
    This happened to a Glock 19 Gen4. About 16 months old and fired only around 450 to 500 rounds.
    What would be a recommended barrel replacement or should I stay with genuine Glock?

Thanks, Gen4

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum gen4 !!

Can you show us a picture of the barrel...?

3. I would have to see pics myself to believe.

4. gen4

gen4 New Member

When I get back home, in about four hours. It's not hardly visible bit you can feel it. The salesman at Cheaper Then Dirt said if it was a 1911, there would be a lot more damage.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

It has been reported quite a few times recently with Winchester White Box 9mm 115gr. In every recent case I've heard about, there was a squib load that left a bullet in the barrel and another round was fired behind it.

Call Winchester and explain what happened. Hopefully you kept the box that the ammo came in because they'll want the box with the lot number on it and any remaining ammo in that box. If they determine a defect in their ammo ruined your barrel, they should offer to have it fixed/replaced at their cost.

Winchester is usually pretty good about it. Had this happened to you with Federal/Speer/CCI(ATK) ammo, they'd tell you it's not their problem.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The only time I've seen a GLock barrel bulge was the result of a squib, you may have had one and not known it.

If it's bulged you have to replace it, of course. If you plan to shoot any lead get a lone wolf, if you don't I'd just stick to a Glock factory barrel.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

12 hours later, still hoping to see pics of the bulged barrel...

8. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I've heard of this happening in a .40, but a 9? Please post pics. Not that I don't believe you, I just want some visual confirmation.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

If the bulge is hardly noticeable on the outside, looking through the chamber end(field stripped for safety of course) toward a light source should make it more visible on the inside.

Here's a picture of another G26 barrel that bulged after getting a squib with WWB 115gr on 3/3/2012, look closer to the chamber end:
    [​IMG]

The owner called Glock, they told him to send it in and call Winchester. Winchester wanted the box with lot number and the spent casing from the round that caused it. He said he may not be able to find the spent casing, and they hinted that if he couldn't, they likely weren't going to pay to fix the gun. He never updated on the outcome.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^---- squib plus fired next round?

And this is factory ammo? Wow.

What has happened? Winchester or Glock willing to do anything about it, or is the owner just SOL?

11. As I have mentioned in other post, I have been noticing quite a few weak loads from WWB lately. On two occasions it was bad enough to make me check for squibs. Luckily there were none.

12. gen4

gen4 New Member

I'm trying to upload two pictures. Haven't figured out how yet. The barrel only expanded 0.014". I have found quit a few bent casings that probably happened when the round chambered.

13. gen4

gen4 New Member

Here's a couply Glock bre1.jpg

Glock bre2.jpg of pic's of my 19's breached barrel. Maybe?

14. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Contact Glock Inc and see what they want to do.

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Is there still a round in the barrel?

16. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

think i will switch brands for a while.

17. gen4

gen4 New Member

image-2722811676.jpg
    Here's a shot down the barrel. The last round went done range.

18. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

19. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

I just bought a box (100) of WWB, despite what I've heard. It's all the local Walmart can get for the last month. I've never seen ammo like this... 2 rusty primers (wow!?), sticky gunk on about ten casings, and several primers WAY off center. How is this possible. It looks like they allowed cavemen to manufacture this stuff. Just out of curiousity, I'm shooting it ALL tomorrow. If a Glock will handle this, I'll be forever confident. I cleaned the 'dirty' ammo I found. Incredible.

20. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Sounds like a super old lot.