Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this is the best place for this question/discussion. Anyway what are you local laws regarding carrying brass knuckles, and why you believe why it should or shouldn't be illegal. It PA its illegal to have them and personally I don't believe they should be illegal its not much different then carrying a knife. If I had to defend myself with something other than my Glock (I'm not old enough to conceal carry) I'd much rather use brass knuckles than a knife so my attacker has less of a chance of being killed.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
They are illegal in Washington also. I've never worn s set that didn't hurt my pinky finger when I punched something. Use a roll of nickles, or quarters.

·
Registered
513 Posts
illegal in Florida

Switch blade push button knives and brass knuckles are really frowned upon in Florida. They will get you a heavy fine and or Jail time.
I can't tell you why. DUH !!!!
Ronnie

·
Registered
902 Posts
LEO will trade you silver bracelets for brass knuckles or switch blades in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
.... I'd much rather use brass knuckles than a knife so my attacker has less of a chance of being killed.

Where in PA are you? We need to talk about Empty Handed Combatives.

Bare hands can kill. Brass knuckles increase that chance. There's definitely not "less of a chance" of them being killed.

It's all in how you wield the tool.

D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where in PA are you? We need to talk about Empty Handed Combatives.

Bare hands can kill. Brass knuckles increase that chance. There's definitely not "less of a chance" of them being killed.

It's all in how you wield the tool.

D
Northeast of Scranton.

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
You need to check your laws, read them. In some states brass nucks are illegal to conceal, others to outright possess.

If your state, like NC, it is a crime to conceal brass nucks, it may be perfectly legal to carry them openly, such as using them for a key fob hanging from the belt.

My wife has an expanding baton, which is completely legal as long as she wears it in the open in a holster on her belt. Check your laws, the baton would be more effective then brass nucks.

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Pa law

Pennsylvania Knife Laws

Pennsylvania knife statutes are short and lacking in clear definitions. In order to determine what the law is, one must look at Court decisions, or case law. This article takes the statutes and the case law and puts it in a clear and organized manner that anyone can understand.

What is Legal to Own

• It is legal to own Bowie knife
  • It is legal to own a Balisong, or butterfly knife
  • It is legal to own a penknife
  • It is legal to own a concealed knife, such as in a lipstick or belt buckle
  • It is legal to own any kind of hunting knife

What is Illegal to Own

• It is illegal to own a dagger
  • It is illegal to own any automatic knife
  • It is illegal to own a sword cane
  • It is illegal to own brass knuckles
  • It is illegal to own any implement for the infliction of bodily injury, which serves no “common lawful purpose”

Limits on Carry

• It is illegal to open or conceal carry a dagger
  • It is illegal to open or conceal carry any automatic knife
  • It is illegal to open or conceal carry a sword cane
  • It is illegal to open or conceal carry any brass knuckles
  • It is legal to open or conceal carry any hunting knife
  • It is legal to open or conceal carry any knife that does not open automatically and has a lawful purpose

What the Law States
§ 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

(a) Offense defined. –A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon….
“Offensive weapons.” –Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed- off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise…… or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose…..

Implements to Inflict Bodily Injury and Common Lawful Purpose Defined

In 1975, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, set forth a “circumstances-of-the-possession” test, in Commonwealth v. Gatto, in order to determine if a weapon had a common lawful purpose. Mr. Gatto was arrested for having a thirty-inch knife during the early morning hours in the downtown area of Scranton. The Court held that the knife was an implement for the infliction of bodily injury, which served no common lawful purpose. In its ruling, the Court stated: “Had appellant been on a journey through the tropical rain forests of South America, attempting to travel by foot from Bogota, Colombia to Caracas, Venezuela it could then be reasonably concluded that a thirty inch knife had a common lawful purpose; but appellant was in a high crime urban area of Scranton.”

Four years later, in Commonwealth v. Ashford, the Court state that Gatto should not be construed as setting forth a circumstances-of-the-possession test for determining whether an weapon served a common lawful purpose, saying the test had no place in determining whether there had been a violation of weapons possession code. Shortly after Ashford, in Commonwealth v. Fisher, the Supreme Court held that on a charge possessing or carrying a prohibited offensive weapon, the circumstances-of-the-possession test was inappropriate in determining whether the weapon served a common lawful purpose.

In 1980, in Commonwealth v. Artis, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court reversed Mr Artis’ conviction for possession of a prohibited weapon was reversed because the trial court improperly applied the circumstances of the possession test when determining whether the knife served a common lawful purpose. The knife was a folding knife, which Mr. Artis testified he purchased at a sporting goods store, to use for hunting and fishing. Therefore, it did not matter under what circumstances he possessed it, as it had a common lawful purpose.

More recently, in 1996, in the case of Commonwealth v. Karlson, the Court concluded that Mr. Karlson did not violate the prohibited offensive weapon statute when he sold four “Cobra” knives to an undercover police officer. The Court held that in order to convict Mr. Karlson, the state was required to offer evidence that the knives served no common lawful purpose. It said that unless they were specifically outlawed, knives were not objects of a criminal nature that were prohibited under the prohibited weapons statute.
Conversely, in 2007, in Commonwealth v. Alvarez, Mr. Alvarez’s possession of a two and a half foot long medieval-type battle-axe with a blade that was almost 10-inches long was held to be within the definition of a weapon that did not have a common lawful purpose.

Conclusion on Pennsylvania Knife Law

It is illegal to own or carry a dagger, sword cane, any automatic knife, or any implement for the infliction of bodily injury, which serves no common lawful purpose.

It is legal to open or conceal carry any other type of knife in Pennsylvania.

Sources

• 18 P.S. § 4416 (2013)
  • Commonwealth v. Gatto, 344 A.2d 566 (1975)
  • Commonwealth v. Ashford, 397 A.2d 420 (1979)
  • Commonwealth v. Fisher, 400 A.2d 1284 (1979)
  • Commonwealth v. Karlson, 674 A.2d 249 (1996)
  • Commonwealth v. Artis, 418 A.2d 644, (1980)
  • Commonwealth v. Alvarez, 935 A.2d 3, (2007)

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
That sucks, here we can carry pretty much any knife, or weapon as long as it is not concealed. About the only things banned are those arms that fall under the NFA without a tax stamp. One may own a cane with a sword, but cannot carry it, as it is considered concealed even carried openly. Same for guns built into belt buckles.

Anything that can be used for self defense has a lawful purpose, I am surprised that has held up to the test of time.

Carry a cane, they would have a hard time prosecuting a charge for it. Clearly has a lawful purpose.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm with you regarding non-lethal methods of self-defense. However, if you're going to use brass knucks, you'd better know a little boxing. Your attacker will be right on you and getting the first lick will be imperative. Don't know about where you live, here in Michigan, brass knucks, blackjacks, sap gloves and the like are illegal. Get caught with them, even if you're in the right, and you'll likely wind up cuffed in the back seat of a police car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In Kentucky where I live, my CCDW permit allows me to legally carry and conceal brass knuckles if I wish. If you don't know how to properly use brass knucks you can do plenty of damage to your own hand.

·
Joshua27
123 Posts
I had one as a belt buckle wife took it put in her purse she don't use it since I got her a Taurus tcp 380 in pink.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glove Station are fantastic gloves for self defense. Comfortable and form fitting. Double stitching on all important seams. Form pad inside to make it more comfortable and fit tight. Just rubbing the gloves on a cement wall caused the wall to bleed onto the gloves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First of all, brass knuckles can do serious harm to your opponent, and you stand a very good chance of seriously injuring, if not killing, anyone you hit in the head with them. Secondly, the absolute best brass knuckles in the world are made by milspin in Columbus, Ohio. They also offer a set which is for a single finger, to avoid the broken pinky finger that some will cause because of their size. I will try and post a picture later - very well made.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,092 Posts
First of all, brass knuckles can do serious harm to your opponent, and you stand a very good chance of seriously injuring, if not killing, anyone you hit in the head with them. Secondly, the absolute best brass knuckles in the world are made by milspin in Columbus, Ohio. They also offer a set which is for a single finger, to avoid the broken pinky finger that some will cause because of their size. I will try and post a picture later - very well made.
Here’s mine.
Gold Metal Fashion accessory Slide sandal Titanium

watch for sales. They have 30-40% off 1 day sales every few months it seems. They make Glock slide and magplates too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts