Brand New Glock 19 Major Malfunction

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by History_Bloke, Jul 7, 2013.

1. History_Bloke

History_Bloke New Member

Hey guys,

So I bought a brand new Gen 4 Glock 19 on June 15. I've only shot about 150 rounds and it's been wonderful... until last night. I went to shoot it and I could no longer chamber a round. Every time, no matter which magazine or round I use the bullet will get stuck halfway into the barrel. It's weird and I'm actually quite furious. I haven't even had it a month and now the weapon is unusable.

I created a youtube video of the malfunction so people could see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpnDuzXRY0&feature=youtu.be

What do you think? I guess I should call Glock and make plans to send it to them?

2. BlueSteel89

BlueSteel89 New Member

What happens if you lock the slide back, insert the mag and then hit the slide stop lever to slam it forward?

3. Don't take this the wrong way, but are you certain you are using good ammo? Maybe check the caliber again....is it factory ammo? Still can be flawed or defective.

If you field strip the pistol, can you place the same rounds into the barrel by itself, and does it seat all the way in?

First step to electronics diagnosis...is it plugged into a live outlet?

4. Watched your video. First, don't ride the slide forward. But still, I think the ammo may be the issue. Try a new box just to be sure.

5. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Yep, Glock has a warranty department, might as well use them, or try a different ammo as has been suggested.
    Did it happen when someone else tried?

6. ddm556

ddm556 New Member

Have you tried to "sling shot" the slide? Could be that your easing the slide and there's not enough momentum to chamber the round.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Member

As others have recommended try a different ammo. What brand are you using there?

Also let the slide go back into battery without holding onto it. That will almost guarantee a malfunction in any pistol.

8. Whisky

Whisky New Member

I had a similar issue with an older Bersa .380, using tulammo - come to find out that the bullets weren't into the shell casing deep enough - tried a "normal" ammo and life was good again (tulammo won't work in my Wife's STI Elektra either..)

try what was suggested above - field strip and manually put a bullet into the barrel to see "if it goes in"

eliminate the simple things..

9. History_Bloke

History_Bloke New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been using 3 types of 9mm Luger ammo. 1) 115gr American Eagle Federation, 2) 115gr Blazer, and 3) Barnes Tac-xpd +p hollow points. I've never actually fired the Barnes +p hollow points, though. I have, however, chambered them. These are the only types of ammo I have. Unfortunately, its still a bit difficult to find a wide, available, selection to choose from.

If I lock the slide open, insert the magazine, then release the slide-lock so the slide will slam shut and load the round, it works just fine. I also field stripped it and put a round into the barrel and it fit perfectly. When I rack the slide, the next round will get stuck.

I never felt like I was "riding the slide forward", but I am afraid to fire the weapon to see if it would auto-load.

10. Deuce

Deuce Because 2 Are Better Then 1

Nothing to be afraid of. Sounds like the gun just needs to be "Broken In".

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Watching your video, you are riding the slide. If it loads by using the slide lock to release it, shows that the weapon is working correct. Riding the slide will give the same failure to load as will limp wristing while firing. You are not allowing the RSA to perform its function.

12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Member

Agree, and as long as it chambers when you use the slide release it is fine. That's how it was designed to operate.

13. History_Bloke

History_Bloke New Member

Do you recommend that I always load it by releasing the slide-lock instead of inserting the magazine to a closed action and "cocking" it myself?

14. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

That or if you grab the slide, pull straight back with your hand letting the slide hit the rear most travel position and let loose with your hand still traveling in the rear position.

15. Kashmir_17

Kashmir_17 New Member

In my opinion you are not letting the slide do its job. When you pull the slide back quickly snd firmly let it dlingshot forward to remove the round and close. By holding onto the slide you are nullifying the force it needs to do its job. When a round is fired it does it with recoil and force. You need to let it function as its designed.

16. Alabama65

Alabama65 Active Member

Take the slide off, check for any ware spots, any parts that are out of place, my 357 was bought new with a bad slide release, it happens.
    They popped a new one in and my glock works great.
    Once you know the slide and frame parts are all good, check you magazine so they aren't tipping the ammo when it gets feed into the chamber.
    If you have any snap caps to test loading and firing the G19?
    Using the snap caps you can load and unload without risk of a bullet being fired off.
    If all that doesn't solve the problem go back to the gun shop and see what happens,some place are glock amours others will just send it back.

17. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Member

You should have no worries about firing it. The worst case scenario is a malfunction, no big deal. But I would wager you will have no problems since the slide will be functioning at the proper speed.

18. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

If it chambers a round by releasing the slide release but not when you ride it forward the gun is not the problem. When you draw the slide to the rear and it reaches it's stop, let it go. Do not touch it. Let it ride fully into battery on it's own. Hands off.

19. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Everyone who said you are riding the slide is correct. Shoot the weapon and report back.

...and you don't need to use the slide stop to release the slide. As BD said below:

20. armorer1911

armorer1911 Junior Member

You obviously need the attention of a Glock Armorer. I would first clean, lubricate, check mags (malfunctioning with all magazines?). Check for limp grip/hold - try changing your ammo. Could be extractor/plunger/depressor assembly or a chipped extractor claw. Safe to say cleaning or ammo change and the jamming is with all shooters you need to contact Glock. ARMORER1911