Brand New Glock 17L Stovepipe Issue

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by gregeby, Feb 11, 2012.

1. gregeby

gregeby New Member

I am fairly new to Glocks, and I am new to this forum. I currently own 3 Glocks: a G26, a G17 (new and unfired), and a G17L (new - fired for the first time today).

As I noted above, I recently acquired a G17L and decided to go to the range today to try it out. The gun was recently manufactured (September, 2011). Out of approximately 200 assorted factory rounds, I experienced two stovepipes. The first jam occurred with RWS 124 grain FMJ. I believe the second occurred with Black Hills 124 grain JHP. I am using standard factory Glock mags (17 round mags). Perhaps I am being too picky, but my G26 has hundreds of rounds through it and has functioned flawlessly. [This is the kind of perfection I expect from Glock.]

After I was finished shooting, I noticed that one of the range staff was eyeballing my 17L. He began extolling the virtues and qualities of the G17L. He uses the same model for 3-Gun Competition and loves it. He was surprised when I told him about the two stovepipe jams. He offered to put the gun through its paces himself, and so I handed him the gun. he took the 3 mags and began loading a few rounds in each one. Then he began rapid firing the gun - followed by several rounds of deliberate slow fire. No hiccups. He handed me the gun and confidently declared, "There is nothing wrong with this gun. I would trust it from now on. Perhaps it was an ammo issue or a burr (since it is a brand new gun)."

Of course, additional time at the range will tell me if this is a break-in issue. I am not sure that the few rounds he put through it is a guarantee of future performance. I must admit I was a tad disappointed, however. I recognize I am a perfectionist. Am I being too hard on the 17L? Any thoughts?

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

could be a bad mag, could be the ammo (not likely since occured with 2 ammos), could have been a tight tolerance that has worn down, or it could have been user error (limp wristing)

I would suggest getting back out to the rane and running it through the paces, make sure it's good to go

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum gregeby !!

+1 on the limp wristing...I see it often at the range.

FTE's ( Failure To Extract ) and stovepipes are caused by the slide not being able to do its job during recoil when the gun is not held tight enough while extracting the spent case and before locking into battery.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. What he said !

5. Pistolero

Pistolero New Member

Sounds to me as if you need more experience with brand new Glock pistols. (I mean, really!) Two of the three Glocks I own were, 'nuisance pistols' until after I ran several hundred rounds through them. 'Perfect' Glocks certainly ain't - OK! I'm aware of dozens and dozens of brand new Glock pistols that have had performance issues similar to your own. ​

I don't necessarily think you were limp-wristing; as a matter of probabilities, you probably weren't. My advice? Be more patient; and give that brand new polymer frame (and, maybe, the magazines) time to more fully break-in. ​

6. gregeby

gregeby New Member

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and input. I guess the G26 spoiled me with its flawless function straight from the box. I will try to be more patient and give the 17L a few more hundred rounds to iron itself out. I will also be more conscious of a firm grip (although I thought I was holding it firmly).

Again, thanks for the prompt input.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

+1 on the limpwristing.

Either that, or a faulty recoil spring (not likely on a brand new pistol, but possible nonetheless).

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

8. gregeby

gregeby New Member

Thanks for the feedback, Happysniper1.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Although the gun is new it should be checked before shooting it as per the owners manual. I would clean the bore and chamber with the brush provided. The brush can be used too for cleaning the breech face and underside of the slide too. Also lightly, brush out the mag well area.

Lube as per your owners manual and have fun. It should be stated too, remember to get a high grip on the frame and keep the thumbs off the slide lock lever (area). Grip sometimes have to change a little do to many unforeseen circumstances that we here can't see or correct. Limpwristing might be the cause but it could and is most likely a grip issue if you're shooting the other guns with similair parameters.

10. gregeby

gregeby New Member

Ok, here is an update on my new 17L and the stovepipe issue. I spoke personally with Glock personnel today, and they recommended further break-in (another 250 rounds) with heavy 147 grain bullets. Apparently, that is what they use in their testing facility. They indicated the 17L (the longest gun they manufacture) is more likely to require break-in than their other models. Bill at BT Guide Rods told me to completely clean out all the factory lube, re-lubricate and try again.

I'm not sure when I will get back to the range, but I will give you another update when I do.

11. gregeby

gregeby New Member

Update on Stovepipe Issue (G17L)

Per Glock customer service instructions, I went to the range and put another 328 rounds through the G17L. I only had one stovepipe and that was midway through the range session. It occurred with Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ. I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the gun prior to going to the range. Glock customer service wants me to give it one more try at the range before sending it in...

By the way, this might seem a minor detail, but when I field strip the gun, I noticed the end of the recoil spring assembly is not completed seated all the way into the notch in the barrel. Is this normal? Perhaps the guide rod shifts a little bit when removing the slide from the frame. Just wondering...

12. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Everytime I strip a Glock the sprung pops into the top part and out of its half moon groove.

13. charobeans

charobeans New Member

Congrats on the new 17l. This is my favorite out of the two I own (cz phantom).

I second the high grip. I believe this grip prevents an individual from limp wristing (not saying that is the reason for the stoving) because you're so deep and tight. If you have trouble keeping your hand "buried" try a beaver tail extension (huge fan)

14. gregeby

gregeby New Member

Recoil Spring

Thanks for the response, Webphisher. I thought that was probably a normal occurrence.