Boots

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by unit44justin, Apr 20, 2012.

1. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I'm looking for some new boots and just curious what everyone wears. I was given a pair of original swats and they weren't very comfortable and durability was weak. I bought some 5.11's and the leather holds up great but still not very comfortable. I have heard great things about Danner but have also heard their product control has not been as good as they used to be and I am hesitant to spend that kind of dough on reviews like that.

2. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Had my S.W.A.T's for 1 year and sole was like baloney skins! Wore right down! Looking myself. A few guys on my PD wear 5.11's others wear Oakleys. Oakley has a website (www.usstandardissue.com) for LE/Military that carries their popular stuff at about 1/2 the price.

Z-

3. I use nothing but SWATS for 10 years, no issues.

Hopefully you guys got new ones, because they have an unlimited lifetime warranty. Nobody else does that. I bought a pair of 9inch classic side zips in 2003. They have given me a new pair every year since when I ask. If you found them uncomfortable, you may need a wide (or you may have had a wide, and do not need it.).

4. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I have wide and need wide, they hurt the bottoms of my feet and when standing for a prolonged period of time. I'll have to look into their website and see what else they have to offer. The ones I have were issued to me when I became a reserve officer.

5. OS are the greatest boots on the planet, I wonder if you just got a dud. Pretty much all of the shoes and boots I own are swats. I have been through them all Bates, Oakley, Tactical Research, Adidas back in the day, etc etc.

6. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

Bates Enforcer Ultra-lites 8" Tactical Sport.

*shameless plug* Bates Uniform Footwear is a brand owned by Wolverine Worldwide based right here in West Michigan. :D

7. Cars aren't even made in MI anymore! :p

Just playin. I took a tour of the Wolverine facility when I lived in GR.

8. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Red Wing Worx boots. Best I've ever worn. Oakley's and Under Armour are my next favorite. I thought the 5.11's were the most uncomfortable.

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I like plain old surplus black jungle boots. Usually Welco's. They are cheap, extremely comfortable after a couple days of wear, shine up great, and they last about a year of daily wear (the soles wear down and the boots are still looking good).

10. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

That's why Wolverine will be around a while...we gots t' walk now we can't drive!

11. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've always been happy with good ol' Hi-tech Magnums. I couldn't tell you how many pairs I've gone through since the first pair, that I actually got while I was in high school, so well over 20 years ago. They're comfortable and they hold up well. Each pair has lasted at couple of years, some more.

The last pair I bought I went with 5.11s, because of the deal. I don't wear boots nearly as much as I used to, so cheap and, thankfully, comfortable, worked well for me.

12. zipper046

Hey NF...I didn't know that about SWATS. Looking back I got mine in 2010, so they lasted me about 2 years. They are comfortable for me and I like them just wondering if there are others that may last a bit longer.

I'll go online and see if I can get some contact info and see if they'll do anything.

Thanks for the intel!

13. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Another question, what do you all prefer an 6in cut or 8in

14. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I didn't see anything about an unlimited warranty on their website....

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

Wolverine Dura-Shocks.

16. if they changed the policy, they sure haven't stopped honoring it.

17. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

It'll be interesting to hear if they have. They would have to, by law, continue honoring it for anyone they sold the product to under those conditions.

"Lifetime warranty" was a big thing for a few years, with manufacturers using it to set themselves apart from the competition. Then, either the competition matched it or the companies offering it realized it wasn't sustainable and they stopped. Often it was both, and they all stopped offering it.

I wish that I had been able, back in 2009(?), when Chrysler was offering a lifetime powertrain warranty, to by a new Jeep. There was a brief period, unadvertised, that they were also offering a lifetime extended warranty. If you bought the top tier, which was still being sold at the usual price, you got a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty! :eek:

18. I just emailed them for fun. I got my girl a pair of 6in boots from them 9 months ago, so i emailed them and said they were wearing out. They immediately offered to replace them at no cost. I will decline of course and ask for a tee shirt or something, but it shows they haven't changed.

19. zipper046

Hey Nukinfuts,

what model of SWATS do you have? I'm looking at some of their waterproof ones (here in the northeast we sometimes get alot of rain....)