Glock Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to use bonded ammo in a Glock? I need some more ammo and found a pretty good deal on this stuff. Just wasn't sure. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
bonded is fine, it's just 'uncovered' lead that Glock tells you not to use in the hexagonal barrel

·
Banned
308 Posts
bhale187 said:
bonded is fine, it's just 'uncovered' lead that Glock tells you not to use in the hexagonal barrel
That's not entirely true. Bonded means the copper jacket is bonded to the lead via some manufacturing method instead of lead just being poured into the copper jacket.

Bonded rounds maintain the weight better in ballistics tests. Un-bonded rounds can (but not always) separate: the lead and jacket come apart, starting with the abrasion in the barrel and ending up separated during impact.

The separation reduces the full weight of the projectile effectively reducing the force the round has when tearing through tissue, resulting in a lower quality ballistic test result.

FMJs and JHPs can be bonded, exposed lead does not mean its bonded.

Now, does Glock says NOT use bonded? I've never heard that.

I have read in the users manual where Glock says not to use lead rounds in their stock barrels. So if any part of the round has exposed lead that would come in contact with any part of the barrel...

Do not use it.

That does not mean JHP's where you can look into the hollow and see lead, that lead won't touch the barrel.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Damnit! How do I delete that in the iOS app? I misread your perfectly stated response.

Sorry, I apologize for 'jumping the gun'. Pun intended.

·
Banned
114 Posts
@ Petty Officer

You just saved me a lot of typing. Lol

Bonded Rounds will go thru a barrier and into a Target without damage to the round. A non-bonded round will most likely have jacket slippage.

Bonded rounds are best for penetration thru a barrier and then into the target, a non-bonded round will work best for directly entering a target.

I choose bonded rounds. Speer Gold Dot 165 gr. P+ for my Glock 23 to be exact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts