Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bolt action user gathering all possible knowledge from experienced bolt action shooters...
:)

any secret techniques only you know and want to share?
recommended techniques?
wise advices?
All info is welcome. :cool:

·
Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member
3,075 Posts
What kind of information are you lookin for??

·
3,075 Posts
1. just like any gun, point in a safe direction when slamming the bolt home
2. DO NOT travel on a 4 wheeler with one in the chamber, it can go off (trust me on this)

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of information are you lookin for??
Any kind of information.
Right know my knowledge is just limited to load/unload racking the bolt and adding the scope and bipod.

Beyond that, just playing with some AR mags and the maglula loader (and testing different ammo, no issues with steel cases, etc )

And you can read the manual, forums, etc. it that’s just information not knowledge granted by experience

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,554 Posts
Using a Bolt action is like driving a manual vehicle. Learn by practice to feel the bolt when you action it! Gently comes to mind, never force the bolt to it's full extent. I used to just use my thumb to work the bolt rather than grab it and wrench it.

·
3,075 Posts
A bolt action rifle is quite possible the easiest rifle to shoot in my opinion, just rack the bolt, kick the safety off and squeeze the trigger. Like @Old Bloke said it's like a manual transmission. Be sure to keep the bolt clean and free of debris.

There should also be a switch or a button on the rifle near the bolt, it will release the bolt and allow you to pull it out for cleaning. I use a bolt guide from Brownells, it makes inserting the cleaning rod a lot easier and faster.

p_574400100_1.jpg

Reactions: mattm and Old Bloke

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bolt action rifle is quite possible the easiest rifle to shoot in my opinion, just rack the bolt, kick the safety off and squeeze the trigger. Like @Old Bloke said it's like a manual transmission. Be sure to keep the bolt clean and free of debris.

There should also be a switch or a button on the rifle near the bolt, it will release the bolt and allow you to pull it out for cleaning. I use a bolt guide from Brownells, it makes inserting the cleaning rod a lot easier and faster.

View attachment 189771
Thanks! I had no idea these existed :)
https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-77799...715&sprefix=bolt+action+cleani,aps,164&sr=8-9

·
3,075 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nice little gun. What will you be shooting with it? I had a Savage Axis in 5.56. It was o.k. but the barrel was too long @ 22'' IIRC and a standard cap mag. Would have been o.k. for shooting from a stationary position, but kinda long to drag around.

Shot a friend's gun, a Mossberg wuth a laminated stock & AR mag. It was shorter & had plenty of mag capacity. Very accurate, but the wood stock made it a bit heavy.

The little Ruger might be worth looking into.

·
Remove me..Security sucks.
2,472 Posts
Nice little gun. What will you be shooting with it? I had a Savage Axis in 5.56. It was o.k. but the barrel was too long @ 22'' IIRC and a standard cap mag. Would have been o.k. for shooting from a stationary position, but kinda long to drag around.

Shot a friend's gun, a Mossberg wuth a laminated stock & AR mag. Ut was shorter & had plenty of mag capacity. Very accurate, but the wood stock made it a bit heavy.

The little Ruger might be worth looking into.
the Mossberg MVP Patrol might be worth a look to you. Plastic stock, 16" barrel, and I hit can hit a 3/4" chain at 200 yards with it, regular 55 grain. Uses AR mags and is real light. Gun on the left in my pic above.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks mattm. I heard that several models were available, but I have not looked at anything new in a long time. Most of the stuff I get is used at gunshows. The Axis was used and the Mossy MVP was used from a local gun trader. Can't remember for sure if it was a2 or 3 lug bolt. Iassume a2 lug cause I currently have a Mossy ATR .243 that is 2 lug, Most of those makers tend to stick to one action. Prefer the 2 lug. Scope clarity is lacking on the Mossy ATR ''package scope,'' so I will robably put a better used ''rake off'' on it if I decide to keep it a while. I use the .243s the most. Length of pull on that one is just right for good eye relief. Same for the Remington 700 short actions.

Had to put a scope with a longer body on a Savage Axis Itraded into at the last shpw also due to too long of a length of pull for my shprt arms. Got the eye relief where it's adequate, but the length of pull is mot. I have trouble reaching the trigger cause the stock is too long. You can correc that with a wood stock gun by cutting it down, but I have never tried rto shorten a buttstock on a polymer rifle. The gun is a 7-08 which is a short action round, but the stock is long. I did not have that problem with the 5.56 rifle. The stock was almost an inch shorter from the butt to the tang. The action looked shorter, but I did not measure it. I have the problem with my long action Remmy 700 BDLs, but I aint cutting those stocks. Too nice and rhey never go out in the field anyway.

Well, I do go look at new ones, but haven't bought a new one in a long time.

·
Super Moderator
72,283 Posts
This is one of my favorite bolt action guns. I bought it 40 years ago when I started deer hunting and it has taken a lot of deer.
It's a Remington 700 BDL 30-06.

Remington 700 BDL 30-06.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
This is one of my favorite bolt action guns. I bought it 40 years ago when I started deer hunting and it has taken a lot of deer.
It's a Remington 700 BDL 30-06.

View attachment 190791
The .30-06 is one of those seemingly timeless classics; one of the most versatile common rounds for North American use imo. (I don't have one, since even .308 is more than enough for anything in my area.) But the .30-06 manages to simultaneously be a phenomenal performer, extremely versatile, and reasonably inexpensive round imo.

Part of my revere for the 30-06 admittedly comes from my dad. He only owned three rifles my entire life - a bolt-action .30-06, a lever-action in .32-20, and a remington tube-fed .22LR semiauto - and one or the other of them was appropriate for any game animal he encountered from the 1940's to the 1970's. (He never owned a shotgun that I know of. He borrowed mine once or twice in the 70's, but afaik never had one of his own.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts