Glock Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purely and merely curious: Anyone wear body armor on a regular basis in their civilian life? By "regular" I mean whenever you CC.

If so, what and which armor do you wear?

Likewise curious but somewhat unrelated: Why don't LE detectives wear armor on a normal ("non-breaching") basis compared to uniformed patrolmen, or do they?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
For CCW/Daily I wear ZeroG, as do many many officers like you asked about.

For breach situations my life lies in the hands of Point Blank, and they do it well.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
I thought wearing body armor as a civillan is illegal? Or does it depend on state?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought wearing body armor as a civillan is illegal? Or does it depend on state?
Depends on the state but generally, it is not illegal to wear body armor. Consider that it's not uncommon for certain civilianVIPs to wear body armor.

Criminally speaking, wearing armor can heighten charges or punishments against you in the commission of certain crimes. Also, somewhat like firearms issuance, you will not be sold armor if you have a felony record (violent crimes and such). This is my lay interpretation of body armor laws.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got some kevlar IBA with ceramic plates for my wife, and a plate carrier with another set of ceramic plates for myself if the poop ever hits the fan.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
ROYALE-W-CHEESE said:
Depends on the state but generally, it is not illegal to wear body armor. Consider that it's not uncommon for certain civilianVIPs to wear body armor.

Criminally speaking, wearing armor can heighten charges or punishments against you in the commission of certain crimes. Also, somewhat like firearms issuance, you will not be sold armor if you have a felony record (violent crimes and such). This is my lay interpretation of body armor laws.
Yup, you pretty much hit it on the head. To the original poster. Some times its not department policy to wear your vest not just as a detective but even as a patrol officer. I know of a nightclub owner in down town New Haven who has a net worth of somewhere between 30-50mill and he wears a vest and carries basically 24-7. Hes always wearing a sports jacket so you'd have no idea.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
If body armor is illegal for civi's in some states than that is news to me
Here in Illinois it is legal to wear/have body armor but if you wear you body armor while committing a criminal act, then it will bring extra charges on you.

As far as the OP question: since I live in Illinois and cant conceal carry, I don't wear body armor out in public. How ever I do have a FLYYE RRV vest (my vest I'm a use when the SHTF) that I am currently looking for level 3 plates for and have been finding out that a lot of these online retailers will not sell to the civilian market.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Holy crap, i was thinking maybe a few hundred bucks. $3500? Dang.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That polo shirt can't possibly be as loose/flexible as it appears.

Personally, if I want to be armored and wear a polo shirt, that's what I'll do. And I'll save $3k in the process.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
unit44justin said:
I am willing to bet that even though the bullet may not penetrate the shirt, that if one were to take a shot that the internal injuries won't be very forgiving.
Exactly, especially from a hot load. Welcome to broken rib paradise

1 - 14 of 14 Posts