Body armor...Do you need it?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by shawn.nky, Sep 18, 2018.

1. shawn.nky

shawn.nky Active Member

Do you need body armor if so what kind hard soft what are you using it for ?
    My answer is yes I need it or do I just want it enough I give my self reasons to need it !
    I kind of think of body armor like I do my CC better have it and never need it but also it could save your life. I live in a bad neighborhood I know (( Move)) there are a lot of random shootings and violent attacks so if I had body armor on it may help protect me if something was to happen. But who wants to walk around with a big hot heavy vest on all day. Here's one though what about to use at the range how many new shooters are out there can you trust all of them will be safe and not make a mistake and send a round side ways or anywhere else maybe armor could save your life at the range it sounds silly until it happens. For me the answer is yes and I went and purchased a safelife level 3 + that is also puncture proof

2. ISPGlock88

ISPGlock88 New Member

IL
    I use it for when I'm at the range with students qualifying for their CCW permit. I only qualify one at a time for safety reasons, but better safe than sorry, right? Body armor also isn't a bad idea to have on hand for you and family members if you are in a tornado prone area, because few things protect better against blunt force trauma than body armor. It's also handy if, God forbid, civil unrest erupts in your area. Unlikely, I know, but better to have than not.

Ten Man, cazbass and Big1 like this.

3. shawn.nky

shawn.nky Active Member

The tornado I never thought of thank you

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I always wear one if I’m at a range or teaching a class. I actually put it in all the range SOP’s regardless of the range that all RSO’s and instructors must wear a vest and carry a gun . Also a strict no cell phone policy .

5. shawn.nky

shawn.nky Active Member

Did you where one to the range before you were an instructor and would you ever go to a range with out it even if you weren't made to where it

6. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

"Need it", probably not. And really hope to never need it.

But I do wear it when I'm out during hunting season, primarily because that's when there's a lot of rumdums with guns running around in my world. I do occasionally wear it when shooting, but that's VERY rare; just enough to stay somewhat used to it. Plates are uncomfortable, and I don't know how to make them otherwise, so I only wear them enough to be relatively confident that I can function with them on. Soft armor's not so bad, but I use it even less often than the hard armor since it doesn't provide much protection from tards with hunting rifles.

shawn.nky likes this.
  7. Mitchell Ota

Mitchell Ota Active Member

I have some lvl 3 body armor that I wear to bowling pin shooting matches in NH.

8. Greywood

Greywood Low speed High drag Supporter

GA
    I wore plate armor for a better part of my life for work. I never liked it and any chance I had to not wear it I took! Now that I no longer need it I have no urge to go buy something that will cost 1000s and just sit. If the world goes to chaos I'm sure I can find some if I need it.

9. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Fwiw, cost has dropped hugely. Same set as I last bought (which I tested with M855 @ 50 ft when it arrived) can be had for $300 or so for curved 11x14 front & back plates plus 6x8 side plates, with carrier. If you skip the side plates, it’s something like $240, for front & back plates with carrier. If you stick with the more common 10x12 size, it’s cheaper still.

Not necessarily trying to talk you into buying any; if you don’t want it, you don’t want it. Just wanted to pass along how affordable they’ve become.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  10. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's just me, but if I feel like I need body armor then I'm someplace I don't need to be.

Peepaw likes this.
  11. Peepaw

Peepaw Well-Known Member

It's not just you, I feel no need for it, never have.

Steelie68 likes this.
  12. Mitchell Ota

I have some level 3 body armor that I will soon start wearing.

13. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not need it, but I have it. Level 3 ar500.

IMG_1542928887.837839.jpg

j102, NWG40 and TheKraken like this.
  14. Lucian_253

I would advice buying a better carrier if you do the option above. I bought the front & back 10x12, and sides 6x8 with carrier and trauma pads for around $200. Which is a fantastic deal. I found the carrier that came with it to be about airsoft quality. I spent an extra $80 and bought a condor mopc carrier. Still not top of the line, but 100x better. Just my humble opinion.

15. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Wore one when city mandated and provided. Haven't worn one since 2005. If I was a full time range officer I could see it. I found the level 3 "concealable" very uncomfortable back then. I'd have to live in a pretty bad place too think about wearing one again. I haven't worn one since I started working security years ago.

GlockGhost likes this.
  16. Mitchell Ota

I need my armor because of an old threat.

Old Bloke likes this.
  17. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

I've considered it for range time. Since I'm running on one lung these days, there isn't room for error, and I made a career off "things happen".
    Just finding the product I think I can't live without in the larger 11X14 is the holdup. Prices are better than probably ever before though.

18. Lucian_253

Type 11x14 ar500 plates in eBay. So many options for good prices!!

I’m assuming your 6’2”+ ?

19. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

6'0" before the wreck, but long wasted.
    I don't FleaBay because I don't like paypal and refuse to use them.

Edit: I see some vendors have finally strayed from the Pay Pal band wagon. I may explore Ebay a little more. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  20. Lucian_253

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-11-x-14-asc-level-iii-body-armor.html

Too bad on the eBay. You could get carrier and plates for under $200.