Bob edc packs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cjs5858, May 11, 2012.

1. cjs5858

cjs5858 New Member

I've been looking for a BOB/EDC bag for a couple weeks and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a good opinion on deciding between maxpedition or 5.11.

2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I have a Maxpedition Versipack Fatboy and a tactical vest.
    Plenty of options...

3. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Of those two, I'd go with 5.11.
    Have you looked at S.O. Tech packs/bags?

At the moment I have a Camelbak TriZip, and a Blue Force Gear Jedburgh. The TriZip will be sold soon, I need to get my CCW permit. :)

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Used mine in DC couple years ago, they never fully searched the bag… not that i had anything, but they never did look in that special pocket.

6. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I love that special pocket. It's perfect for carrying "you know what". I use mine as a diaper bag for my kiddo's stuff and that special pocket is perfect.

7. henerey

henerey New Member

i really need to put a bob together i have a edc bag in the car (first aid kit, extra cell phone battery, extra mags for my 23, knife, etc) thinking maybe for a bob 5.1124 hour pack or maybe the 48 hour idk yet. advice.?.?

8. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

good ol' glock purse!

9. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Get the 48 hour pack. You can never have too much...sack. Buhzinga!!

10. henerey

henerey New Member

well maybe i should get the 72 hour then lol

11. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Yeah...now you're just over compensating. :p

12. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

3-day assault packs work well...

13. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I'm going with the 3 day pack myself, as something to keep in the car. I've considered where I travel in the area and how long it would take me to walk home if we had an issue, like an EMP, where all of our vehicles were suddenly road debris instead of transportation. So, based on my usual travel patterns, I'd likely need to cover 20-30 miles to get home. I want extra supplies on hand, in case there are obstacles that slow me down. I'm just concerned about securing the bag in the car, especially if I have a weapon/ammo in it and about what the Summer heat would do to some of my supplies.

Anyway, as to the OP, I have a Maxpedition Jumbo LEO that I love. Any time I have stuff I need to take with me that I can't carry on my body, I throw it in the Maxpedition and take it along. With the Maxpedition Universal holster, it will carry anything I have securely.

That UTG looks like an exact replica of the Maxpedition. I can't speak for the quality, but it's definitely a close match to the Maxpedition.

14. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I'll post some pics of the UTG today! Great bag for the money!

15. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

5.11, maxpedition, S.O.C. and Condor all make a very good product, but generally overpriced unless on a good sale.

Drago aka Modgear makes a great product at a great value. Either their 3day or ultimate bag would work great as an EDC/BOB pack depending on what and how much you are packing.

UTG stuff has not held up for me or guys I work with, it looks good, but doesn't last. Cheap materials and bad stitching, velcro, and zippers.

Military Surplus bags are a cheap option too, probably not as customizable or as many pockets as the expensive name brands, but a good, tough, cheap option anyway.

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

This is the UTG bag. Had it for 3 years now, went in a trip to DC with it, lots of camping trips, and several hundred trips in the car to various other miscellaneous places. Holds everything I need.

Attached Files: