Blazer Brass ammo issues

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by AnnieOkieDokie, Feb 9, 2017.

1. AnnieOkieDokie

AnnieOkieDokie New Member

Anyone out there every have trouble with shooting Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ? I shoot a glock 34 and have recently had some issues with his ammo. When I load something else, no issues. I thought maybe I may have been limp wristing or my magazine wasn't working properly, but as far as I can tell, it's not the case.

2. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

What is the ammo doing? Failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject, brass to face, won't chamber at all? First round in the mag, or last, 10 rounder or 17 rounds? Need way more info, Blazer is made by CCI is a very good quality new ammo. And how many out of 50 didn't work right? If you had 3 not work and 47 work, it's not the ammo.

3. ronnie948

ronnie948 Active Member

over 3,000 rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass shot without a single malfunction at all. It is clean and consistent and I shot in my Glock, 43 & 19 as well as my 995 9mm carbine.
    I get mine from Targetsports usa.
    Some was shot in a friends Sub-2000 9mm and no problems with a few magazines in that gun either.
    Ronnie

4. AnnieOkieDokie

I had the issue while shooting my last IDPA match. I had 3 fails in one mag (loaded to 10) I had two that wouldn't chamber and one stove pipe in the first mag. And 2 in the second magazine that I only shot 4 rounds of, 1 stovepipe and 1 that wouldn't chamber. I had a very similar situation in the second stage. I loaded different ammo in the same magazines for the 3rd and 4th stages, and did not have any issues at all.

5. SixG17s

Not chambering is of course an ammo issue. Does your G34 run better with 124's? Asking because I have been my own reloaded 124's in Glocks since 92 with never an issue, about 20,000 rounds a year in USPSA.

6. AnnieOkieDokie

I have shot he blazer brass 124gr without issue. I'm gonna clean everything and hit the range and Roy to diagnosis a bit more. Thanks for all the input guys!

7. Audioph1x

Audioph1x Well-Known Member

Is this a modified weapon? If not that's weird.

8. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

I have shot thousands of Blazer brass and aluminum rounds in 9 and 40 with no issues. How old is your recoil spring assembly? Have you tried polishing the ramp? Check the chamber also to be sure it does not have any debris in it.

9. AnnieOkieDokie

It's not a modified weapon. I cleaned it very thoroughly yesterday and took it to the range. Had just a few stove pipes and a couple failure to load. I'm taking it to Glock today to have them look it over. I think I have worn out my mags as the slide won't lock back after the last round now hopefully they will get to the bottom of it today. Thank you all for the info!!!

10. SixG17s

Before sending it to Glock, shoot it left hand only, and also have an experienced Glock shooter run it. Also try 124s and 147s. For the recoil spring and all the mag springs to go dead at once is not right. Glock is only going to function fire a few rounds and return it to you.

11. Gandof

Gandof Active Member Supporter

Like others have posted, no problems with Blazer ammo. Actually, no problems with CCI anything for me.
    I'd wager the Glock boys in Georgia will run a couple of mags thru the gun without issue, and call it good.

12. kennydale

kennydale Well-Known Member

A few months back I was shooting a NRA Marksmanship qualifier. I was shooting Winchester White Box 9mm 115gr with my G17 gen 4. I had my first major jam after having firearm for 2 1/2 years. I finished the Qualifier with my G19 gen 4. It took a tool to extract the jammed round. Now I'm reluctant to use WWB. I think it might have been that one round!

Nadz likes this.
  13. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Yep! 'Stuff' happens. :(

I've learned to 'chamber check' my competition cartridges. (At the range, it doesn't matter.)*

I simply load magazines and manually cycle my competition cartridges through my 'competition system' to ensure that they will chamber properly.

If I perform poorly, I want it to be my shooting... not my failure to check my equipment. ;)

Best regards,

Bob :)

*ETA: "At the range, it doesn't matter." Well... yes, it does! ;):thumbsup: Please refer to posts #16 and #17, below. :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  14. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

I don't fuss up over an occasional malf on factory ammo, stuff happens indeed. A bullet not fully seated, primer seated too much, whatever.

For carry ammo thou ... I take out all the rounds and line them up on a table. If there's any that look taller or shorter than the others, out they go.

Then I lay them on the side and examine the same for the primers.

Anything 'off' looking becomes practice ammo

15. Gandof

Gandof Active Member Supporter

Guys, it's always a good idea to chamber check your ammo before going to the range, especially match ammo. It goes without saying that I chamber checked my duty and defensive ammo before loading it into magazines. Even premium factory ammo is not perfect. It takes a little time, but it's my plan to catch out of spec ammo before it causes that failure. I do this with the 10s of thousands of 9mm/.40 I load annually. It's that important!

16. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

You're right! ;):thumbsup:

And, I should've clearly qualified my comment in post #13...

Allow me to explain...

Currently, with the exception of my carry rounds, the only cartridges I shoot are reloads that I load... nothing else. And, the final step of my reloading process is a SAAMI chamber check.

So, for the benefit of the forum, my comment above should've been...

"Since a chamber check is the last step of my reloading process, I don't normally recheck my practice cartridges before I go to the range. However, I always chamber check my competition cartridges again before competing... just in case."

Sorry for my error and the confusion. :eek:

I'll update my previous post (#13). :D

Best regards,

Bob :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  17. Tirofijo

Tirofijo New Member

Any updates on resolution? Blazer 115gr does not run well in my Glock 17 (not modified). I get failures to feed about 1 or 2 out of 50 rounds, but no problems with ejecting spent rounds or locking open after last round. Has not occurred with any other ammunition. Just curious what Glock said if you took it to them.

18. AnnieOkieDokie

I did take my gun to Glock. They pulled it apart, checked everything and the technician took it out to their range and shot about 50 rounds of varying ammo through it without issue. The conclusion was that it just must be a bad batch of ammo. I did not have any modifications either. A friend of mine had the same issue with blazer in her G19. I just avoid Blazer Brass all together and have had zero misfires since I posted this thread in February.

19. Tirofijo

Tirofijo New Member

Thanks for the update. Good to hear there's no issue with the gun. I'll be avoiding the Blazer ammo too.

AnnieOkieDokie likes this.