Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by AverageCitizen, May 1, 2012.

1. AverageCitizen

AverageCitizen New Member

Anyone have any positive or negative comments/opinions on the Blackhawk Serpa sportster? Considering getting one looking for some feed back before I do.

Attached Files:

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I have three of them. Liked them enough that I switched to a serpa three for my duty holster.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

4. It has a release, and that is a good way to loose a gun fight when your fine motor skills go out the window. I have one with the trigger release bypassed, it's ok. Haven't used it since I got my first holster from Mike P, makes the others just seem sucky

5. Garry

Garry New Member

I have this holster for my G17 and really enjoy it for an open carry or a day at the range. Good holster in my opinion.

6. AverageCitizen

AverageCitizen New Member

Range day and maybe screwing around in the woods is all I will use it for. It's only 18 bucks on amazon

7. For open and range i use a leg holster made by UTG. It's like $15 on amazon and tough as nails.

8. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I OP everyday with this holster. I like it for training to. It helps get that perfect grip and index finger where it needs to be. Would recommend it to anyone

9. I wouldn't use it in training because you are training yourself into something that should SHTF cannot be done. Something as simple as releasing the trigger finger is near impossible under high stress such as an attack.

It is well documented that when under stress, our physical motor skills and responses are affected in a variety of ways. We operate in the "mind brain", meaning that gross motor skills will take over. So any fine motor skills needed to draw our firearm from the holster might be delayed, such as pushing or un-snapping a release, therefore hindering our ability to access our firearm when needed. Too often even police performance were sabotaged in the face of a hostile adversary. For example the famous FBI shootout that led to the death of several agents (and the birth of 10MM). Investigators determined a huge factor was the bodys own natural panic preventing efficient and safe release of holster retention systems.

Nothing you do in training that uses a fine motor skill is of any use in real life. It is useful only on the range.

10. g21redman

g21redman just wants to watch the world burn.

I have the same one love it... but question?... does yours pull on your belt real bad? I hat have a regular leather belt and buckle and when I walk it works down and becomes uncomfortable

11. nbeal4495

nbeal4495 Member

Absolutely love mine..my everyday carry I even use a blackhawk mag pouch

12. Stitch the very top of the holster to the belt strap so it cannot hang outward.

13. Also i still suggest a gun belt but that stitch is night and day

14. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Get a belt that is made for guns.

15. My reg belt worked after i stitched it but for $20 gun belts are so worth it

16. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I've carried that holster on duty a hundred times and used it in matches and at the range tons. I love it!!

17. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

I use the Serpa CQC holster and I'd go to war with that holster. The reason why it doesn't work for some people is they don't train with it. If you consistently train with it and build the muscle memory then under stressful situations you revert to your training. You talk to any LEO or military it comes down to the training.

18. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I use it for dry fire practice so I can get the grip I need. If your grip is off might has well start over when competing. The serpa helps me index the weapon perfectly. At competition I use a blade tec holster. I do like it for open carry tho because it limits the risk someone trying to disarm you or you losing the gun in a physical altercation. I would not disagree with what you are saying about us using the middle of our brain but I started with this holster to being with. When I draw at competition stages I index the weapon the same way. I train with this holster. Would it be far to say that my mind would put my finger on the release naturally?

19. I have one left, gave away others. Basic design/function is.....mmmmm, okay. For CCW purpose they are extremely bulky and thick, almost impossible to keep from printing while trying to conceal. There is room for extreme error. There are documented cases of debris, even a shirt button that fell into the trigger release rendering it useless and the in some cases the holster had to be cut from the weapon. I mean the thought of them is good but I have no room for them in my day to day carry needs.

The one and only use I have for them now is permanently mounting them into a vehicle or other similar permanent mounting options.

20. This is a common misconception actually. Your gross motor skills will in fact land your hand in that position, but the most likely scenario is that you will go immediately into a draw, forgetting the release or failing to engage it in the process. Your draw is be very close to the muscle memory has programmed it, but muscle memory will not engage the finger in such an accurate method as to release the firearm.

Now, science tells us that is is statistically nearly impossible to train enough to overcome the loss of fine motor skills in these situations. That said it is smartest not to play with fire and to train as you intend to survive IE change holsters.

My kydex holster will not release my gun unless I want it too, nothing to disengage.

There is a great test to demonstrate this and i KNOW i posted it before on these same holsters but i cannot find it...