blackhawk tactical

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by kulok77, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kulok77

kulok77 New Member

I am thinking about a blackhawk level three thigh rig. Anybody got one,how do you like it

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Do some Google searches on the Serpa holster and take the comments to heart.

3. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

I have one, honestly I don't use. It was a gift from a buddy in the military. I prefer to use a holster from the hip. I train with Serpa holsters and haven't found a need for the tactical platform.

4. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I have a Serpa, not the exact model you are looking at, but the retention function is the same. On the bright side the rentention function will hold your weapon in. There are a lot of threads about the danger of the button relating to the fact that your trigger finger releases the retention function and will naturally want to slide into the trigger guard as the weapon comes free.

I like the holster but stopped wearing because:
    1. I took a tactical shooting style ccw class the did not allow Serpa so I had to get another holster for class
    2. I eventually switched to an IWB holster
    3. I came around to the viewpoint that if I needed a retention device something like the Safariland thumb drive would be safer than what the Serpa has.

Is the Serpa a bad holster? I don't know. I like it personally, I just don't trust the retention device to not cause problems in a pinch.

5. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

I think as long as you train with it and train correctly you should be fine. People that have negligent discharges with a Serpa are due to stupidity and not training properly with the gear you use. I personally would go to war with a Serpa. Keeps my gun where I want it. If you decide to get the tactical platform just make sure you train consistently and you won't have problems.

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Very true. I think that most of the NDs reported are from people that don't have extensive practice to build up the correct muscle memory to safely use the retention function safely. I think that is one of the problems with the holster. It requires a great deal of practice to use it under duress safely.

7. kulok77

kulok77 New Member

Well said thanks