Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the internet has this question answered 50/50 lol.I have a Blackberry 9700 and want to switch to an iPhone 4 . I am not going through AT&T to do this. Do I have to jail break the phone to accomplish this ? I know I have to trim the sim . I am reading conflicting info on the jail breaking thing.

Id appreciate any info on this.Be great if someone already did this.

This is a concession phone line so I cannot simply ask for a switch .

·
Registered
165 Posts
AT&T and Verizon are the only providers that offer the iPhone on their plan. If you are not on one of those then you would have to jailbreak and unlock the iPhone. This can be easy or hard depending on your technical level. Since you use a blackberry I assume you have some technical background. I think you have to have a PHD to use one of those things.

I have had my iPhone jailbroken since day two that I've had it with very few problems and nothing that I couldn't fix.

Good luck.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Yep, that who I got with my iPhone. Sprint. Could be worth it to wait for the other carriers to jump in...

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
T Mobile is supposed to have it before the end of the year, or right at the end of the year. Supposedly.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
We need a little more info before we can really answer the question. The main thing is that the iPhone has to be compatible with your current network. You can't use a Verizon or Sprint iPhone with AT&T or T-Mobile. In either case, you need to make sure the phone is removed from the previous user's iTunes acct, if it's a used phone.

Overall, I don't think jailbreaking is necessary. As far as actually doing it, that part is actually easy. You don't have to physically do the programming, you just have to find and download the jailbroken iOS online and load it on your phone. It's the same procedure, basically, as doing a restore on the iPhone, which is done through iTunes. There's really nothing to it and it can be undone later if you choose. I had done it on mine a couple of years ago, but I was happier with the stock iOS.

There's also S/W available to import your contacts to the iPhone, if you don't already sync to MS Office.

·
Banned
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be using it on AT&T network . I have been watching videos on how too and it seems as simple as going to jailbreak me.com and have at it .

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My question is, are you tech savy enough to jailbreak your iPhone? If you don't do it correctly you're going to end up with an expensive Apple paper weight. I personally would wait as the new iPhone will be coming out in the coming months. But if you decide to do it then good luck.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
If you are going to use a network that it is already compatible with, then there is no real need to jailbreak it.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
The real question is where are you getting the phone from? Buying from someone or getting a contract? I have had 3 iPhones, two jail broken and unlocked, one bought from a friend, one through a contract and then canceled the contract, and then the one I have now is through sprint.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
TampaBaySean said:
My buddy upgraded his phone and sold me his iPhone 4 for a good price .
Have you talked to AT&T yet? Is it an AT&T phone? Does it have a sim card slot on the side?

I think that you should be able to sign on without a contract, because you already have a phone, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an iPhone and using it on straight talk for only $45 a month. Have all the same features and uses as on the AT&T network just much much cheaper. No need to jailbreak or need for an unlocked phone either.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
DDPG17 said:
I have an iPhone and using it on straight talk for only $45 a month. Have all the same features and uses as on the AT&T network just much much cheaper. No need to jailbreak or need for an unlocked phone either.
How does that work?

·
Registered
50 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
How does that work?
Go to straighttalksim.com order the sim card for either the AT&T or Tmobile phone u have it costs $14.99 for the sim also buy the $45 air time card, once you get the sim in the mail go to straighttalk.com and activate your phone with the serial number you got with your new sim card.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Sweet ill look into it!

As far as jailbreaking... If you have the latest software already installed then you have to wait till they release the jailbreak for that software, usually three months after the software is released. What is the software version?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts