Binoculars vs Sighting Scopes

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by ROYALE-W-CHEESE, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

New to rifles. Iron sights only so far. But, as a way to see where the hell I'm placing my shots, if at all, I need glass. Right now, all I'm capable of is 100yds but eventually, I'd like to improve beyond that.

I'm considering an inexpensive set of binoculars. Primary use will be range shooting. No hunting. I saw that a few of you include binos in your range bags. Any recommendations, favorites or avoidances?

Or would you recommend I invest in a sighting scope? If so, recommendations or favorites?

Edit: I meant, "spotting scope."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I bought a cheap Simmons spotting scope which helps dial in a rifle. CDNN had some cheap. Binoculars aren't good unless you have them mounted on a tripod. Of course you get what you pay for.

3. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Ditto on the spotting scope.

I had a pair of binoculars and they were a pain to use at the range.

I ended up getting a deal on a Simmons spotting scope at a gun show. Came with a tripod and a camera mount. I stuck it on a cheap camera tripod and it works much better at the range then the crappy
    Binocs that I had. Granted if I had a pair of super duper marine binocs those would be better.

I'd rather spend the $$ on the scope on the rifle rather than the spotting scope.

D

4. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

Being a long range hunter (typically between 300 and 550 yards) I spend a lot of time at the range. I've found that good glass is important, but mainly for in the field. You can get buy with cheaper glass as long as you make sure you are looking at 20-60x80 scopes. The holes on paper over 200 yards become tough to see. Don't go for 15-30x60 or the like...you'll be disappointed.

5. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

Ya, that's my long-term plan. I'll get a rifle scope eventually down the line. Initially, I'd like to learn the basics using iron sights. As with photography, "invest in good glass."

I'm guessing binoculars at the range are a pain because you have to constantly switch your hands from rifle to binoculars...?

I see shooters using rifle scopes and spotting scopes at the range. What's the use or reasoning behind this?

6. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

Thanks man. This is the type of advice you don't get from manufacturer websites.

7. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

No problem man...BTW don't waste your time with binos...they are great for inside 100 yds, but for the reasons I laid out before, they just don't have enough magnification to be helpful at 200+ yards.

Good luck at he range, and practice patience...long range is frustrating at first, but it gets easier with time.

8. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    High magnification needs a stable base anything hand held will jump around too much to see the detail needed especially bullet holes on a target at distance. Even 100 yards.

9. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

Good point!