Billet AR Lowers

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by KeenansGarage, Jul 22, 2012.

1. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I am looking at building an AR in the next few months. Eventually, I want to SBR the lower. A lot of local guys I have been talking with mention getting a billet lower, but very few actually have one.

So, Does anyone here have one? What are your opinions about them? Are they worth the extra 100 plus dollars just for the lower? I can get a forged lower for 80-150 bucks, but most billet lowers are 225+.

What do you guys/gals think??

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

2. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

I have a TKS billet lower, it as been flawless. No fitment issues during assembly or problems since. 1000s of rounds through since assembly, I compete in 3 gun with it which can be a workout for her for sure.

3. KeenansGarage

TKS doesn't have the flared magwell right?? If I am mistaken and it does have a flared magwell, does it help with reloads? That is one of the few advantages that I see of billet lowers.

4. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

The one I have does not.

ForumRunner_20120723_185850.jpg

ForumRunner_20120723_185912.jpg

5. KeenansGarage

Thanks for the information and the pictures!

6. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

If ya want any other pictures just let me know.

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The only reason to get a billet lower is to say "I've got a billet lower" :D That and billet lowers really do look a better.

Forged are cheaper and stronger than billet.

8. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Forged are cheaper and stronger than billet.[/QUOTE]

Just depends on the raw materials, forged can be weaker than billet if the raw material is lower quality.

9. bhale187

In general thats true of anything forged vs billet, if you forge pot metal it will be weaker than a high grade stainless steel billet lower.

However, for forged lowers there are basically just for manufacturers who do the forging for a plethora of brands. All 4 of them use the same base materials and the same process to make a mil spec forged lower.

10. KeenansGarage

It seems to me that billet lowers have more metal left in/on/around them. Take for example the integrated trigger guard...perhaps adds a bit of structural integrity. I have also noticed some that have more metal around the magwell, mag release, etc.

In the end, I think there is little difference in the two (except for the price). I think if I could get a billet for close to the same price, then it would be worth it to have a little extra metal in places. Ultimately, like most things in this world, everyone likes one or the other. So I just have to choose! :D

11. bhale187

Yep, its a matter of personal preference.

The difference in strengths is really irrelevant as I see it; I mean really, has anyone ever seen an AR15 lower break from anything short of a Kaboom? I was just pointing out that between the forged and billet there's really no advantage to the billet beyond looks and personal preference. There is the flared magwell on some, but for about $25 you can get the mako magwell grip for that. That's not to say one shouldn't buy a billet lower, they look great, and if you don't mind spending a few more bucks, go for it. Just like customizing a Glock with stuff that is nothing more than 'bling', if you like it, have at it.

12. KeenansGarage

I will say I have seen a few of the stamped/forged lowers that had issues. One or two cracked on the stock threads, one had the ears on the trigger guard break off during assembly, and then some were 'out of spec.' All of these could be due to poor operator more than manufacturer issues.

13. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I have two billet lowers from Sun Devil. Their lowers have a tension screw that assures a nice fit to the upper. And they are purdy.

14. bhale187

I've seen a couple forged stripped lowers that had those too, pretty cool option, but I've not seen a need for them on the ARs I've built thusfar.