Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the forum. I am a 6'4 320 football build guy(little gut, little muscle) looking for my first CCW. I know everyone on here might be one sided but here goes nothing. Walther PPQ, XDM 3.8, FN FNX, or (wait for it, wait for it) Glock 17. I want a Full Size 9mm. Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
If you want full size why not go .45 and get the G21:D

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the Forum dtpotter2007! I'm sure you will get lots of opinions from our members. ;) I hope you enjoy yourself here.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Not really a brand issue. Carry what you shoot best & can still conceal, if that's a G17, well, there you go.

Try a few range rentals if you can. Give them all a workout. You'll know it when you find it.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
While I love the concept of the 45 ACP, the limited capacity for some reason haunts me. Plus the cost of ammo is different( not much IMO), but is a factor none the less.
13 rounds aren't enough? Just kidding, Just a thought, If you like the nine better that's what you need and the 17 is a damn good gun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the rental thing is a problem as where I live there are no rental gun ranges. I can only go off feel and reviews. As for the 45 acp comment, 13 isn't bad but 13 compared to 17 or even 19(XDM). The reason I am leaning toward Glock is simple, more stuff for it.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Well the rental thing is a problem as where I live there are no rental gun ranges. I can only go off feel and reviews. As for the 45 acp comment, 13 isn't bad but 13 compared to 17 or even 19(XDM). The reason I am leaning toward Glock is simple, more stuff for it.
The Glock is a great firearm to modify or just use as is. I really don't mean to mess with the others, I was just kidding around, To bad you can't try them, it really is best if you can shoot them first and get the feel of recoil and how they act right there in your hands. If you have friends that would be nice and let you try that would be Ideal as for other than Glock, the guys here have ALL of the above and I am sure will offer opinions as the night goes on. Good luck and let us know how you choose!!

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Hey new to the forum. I am a 6'4 320 football build guy(little gut, little muscle) looking for my first CCW. I know everyone on here might be one sided but here goes nothing. Walther PPQ, XDM 3.8, FN FNX, or (wait for it, wait for it) Glock 17. I want a Full Size 9mm. Thoughts?
Honestly, all 4 of your choices are great guns. I don't prefer some of the Walther's but that is just me. Not because they aren't good guns, just that I don't like how they feel.

If I had to choose out of the 4 I would go for the XDM or (and I know you're shocked:eek:) the Glock 17. The FN FNX's are also great guns but I can't say that I've ever gotten a chance to shoot one or play around with it long enough to make a serious comment.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thanks Dutchs. CCsir I am shocked lol. Jk. See as much as I love the extra 2 rounds of the xdm the 17 is lighter so I am almost sold on it. Now the last question. Gen 3 or Gen 4???
Now on that one! You said you are a big guy so If you have big hands the different backstraps will be good for you on the Gen 4!

·
Registered
385 Posts
My first firearm was the 17 Gen 4... Awesome gun, and felt even better knowing it was mine. I do carry the 17 concealed still today. I also purchased a 27 (2 weeks old). I say go for the 17 because I love the gun and the way it performs. My opinion (and only mine) is that Glock sold me on their 3 safety systems. No manual safety... I prefer it that way because I wouldn't want to have to remember to manually turn a safety off in a self defense situation. Just something to think about.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
dtpotter2007 said:
Thanks Dutchs. CCsir I am shocked lol. Jk. See as much as I love the extra 2 rounds of the xdm the 17 is lighter so I am almost sold on it. Now the last question. Gen 3 or Gen 4???
Gen 4 comes with 3 magazines not 2! Also
You can change back straps. If your a lefty you can change the magazine release. (that's why I purchased Gen 4 being a lefty)

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
dutchs said:
That really is a personal decision. I use the Hornady Critical defense, A lot of info. on that in the Ammo subforum.
http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f12/hornady-critical-duty-135gr-9mm-7630/
What he said^^^*
Another idea is to find out what local law enforcement uses. If you want to use the same. My law enforcement uses federal hydrashock. I also carry Hornady critical defense.
Just to be thorough, be certain to fire some self defense rounds through to make sure that the firearm cycles correctly with no failures.

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
Crossbreed super tuck best iwb holster for full sized glocks that ive tried but i just ordered a scorpion desaints so that might change....also I've heard lots of great things about mike p's holsters probably try him for my next glock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.