Best shooting earmuffs???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by glockdeerhunter, Sep 24, 2016.

1. glockdeerhunter

glockdeerhunter New Member

What are the best shooting earmuffs on the market.

2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I have no idea...

That being said, of the earmuffs I own, my favorite is this one (which may be a bit pricey) and my second favorite is this one (which is much less expensive).

Best regards,

Bob :)

3. XIII

XIII New Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. ABeck88

ABeck88 Well-Known Member

NC

I have been using these for almost 4 years. They are comfortable, lightweight, and work well. I have never changed the batteries in mine!

5. GlockGuide

GlockGuide Active Member

So I use your second favorite (Impact Pro) for indoor range shooting and consider it's 30db the lowest I would go. Any chance the measurement isn't consistent - i.e. is the 3M 26db as good or better than the Impact Pro's 30db rating?

The Impact Pro's aren't the greatest technology but everyone I know who wears smaller electronic muffs also use foam ear protectors under them. Seems like that would defeat the purpose to me. I don't have to double up with the Impact Pro.

The Impact Pros don't work for me with long guns due to their size. But I only shoot those outdoors so I can use ear protection with a lower rating.

6. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

7. ABeck88

ABeck88 Well-Known Member

NC

There is no standard for measuring db rating so every company does it a little different.

8. rbbeers

Personally, I really don't know :confused: ... my guess is ABeck88 is 'spot on'. :D

My ears tell me there's not much difference, if any, in the sound suppression between the two... both do a very good job. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But, to me, there's a very notable difference in the quality of the amplified audio... which is why I prefer the 3M muffs (and may be why they're more pricey). ;)

Best regards,

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

For action pistol venues (especially if you run USPSA Open Division) and 3 gun, with a comp'd rifle, the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X is flat out the best. But they come with a price to match. My kid got these when he first started in competition and claims he can hear a Glock reset 2 bays over.... If I were buying new electrics today, that would be the one. But I have been running the 3M Peltor Tac 6's over the neck(can be reversed), since I first got one as match product more than 20 years ago, and have gone thru 3 sets in 20 years. 2 were replaced under warranty and then picked up another one as match product. They work fine with AR-15's setup with compensators.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  10. krispyk

krispyk New Member

Pa
    I just bought these Saturday at Cabelas. I just used them for the first time while shooting my g43 and I loved being able to hear the birds and crickets and leaves rustling in the wind and then just pull up and shoot whenever I was ready. Muffs did great at dampening the noise. Am very happy with these and early use review I would recommend them. I have always used nonelectronic muffs so I am used to shooting with muffs but these are much thinner profile than my usuals and I really like that as well. I do alot of waterfowl hunting so I am expecting to use these in the blind for protection from the volley of shotgun blasts.

11. rbbeers

And, THAT is the key! ;):thumbsup:

Whether a shooter spends $50 for electronic muffs that sound a bit 'tinny' or $400 for muffs that sound 'realistic', in my opinion, the important thing is that 'the shooter can hear'! ;)

Well said! :D

Best regards,

12. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I love the Howard Leight Impact Pros. Shooting indoors, I need inners with the Impact Sports. These are the best I've found. They are large for long guns, but great for handguns.

13. BigC248

BigC248 New Member

+ 1 MSA Sordin, best ear pro on the market. Well worth the price tag.

14. rbbeers

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  15. TexasGlockaBilly69

TexasGlockaBilly69 New Member

I didn't know ear protectors were electronic??

16. rbbeers

Yep! ;)

And, for about $60 or so, a shooter can have reasonable hearing protection and be able to hear.

Super cool! :cool::thumbsup:

Best regards,