Glock Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
What are the best shooting earmuffs on the market.
I have no idea...

That being said, of the earmuffs I own, my favorite is this one (which may be a bit pricey) and my second favorite is this one (which is much less expensive).

Best regards,

Bob :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've been looking at these for the past few days myself. I've read and saw many good video reviews for these howard leight's. Relatively inexpensive, good quality and also works good with rifles as they are not intrusive and wide on your face as many other ear protection are (nice and skinny)
. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have been using these for almost 4 years. They are comfortable, lightweight, and work well. I have never changed the batteries in mine!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have no idea...

That being said, of the earmuffs I own, my favorite is this one (which may be a bit pricey) and my second favorite is this one (which is much less expensive).

Best regards,

So I use your second favorite (Impact Pro) for indoor range shooting and consider it's 30db the lowest I would go. Any chance the measurement isn't consistent - i.e. is the 3M 26db as good or better than the Impact Pro's 30db rating?

The Impact Pro's aren't the greatest technology but everyone I know who wears smaller electronic muffs also use foam ear protectors under them. Seems like that would defeat the purpose to me. I don't have to double up with the Impact Pro.

The Impact Pros don't work for me with long guns due to their size. But I only shoot those outdoors so I can use ear protection with a lower rating.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Any chance the measurement isn't consistent - i.e. is the 3M 26db as good or better than the Impact Pro's 30db rating?

There is no standard for measuring db rating so every company does it a little different.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Any chance the measurement isn't consistent...
Personally, I really don't know :confused: ... my guess is ABeck88 is 'spot on'. :D

... i.e. is the 3M 26db as good or better than the Impact Pro's 30db rating?
My ears tell me there's not much difference, if any, in the sound suppression between the two... both do a very good job. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But, to me, there's a very notable difference in the quality of the amplified audio... which is why I prefer the 3M muffs (and may be why they're more pricey). ;)

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
For action pistol venues (especially if you run USPSA Open Division) and 3 gun, with a comp'd rifle, the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X is flat out the best. But they come with a price to match. My kid got these when he first started in competition and claims he can hear a Glock reset 2 bays over.... If I were buying new electrics today, that would be the one. But I have been running the 3M Peltor Tac 6's over the neck(can be reversed), since I first got one as match product more than 20 years ago, and have gone thru 3 sets in 20 years. 2 were replaced under warranty and then picked up another one as match product. They work fine with AR-15's setup with compensators.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs for several years. Very good muffs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPA...gclid=CP7-nrqhqs8CFYJehgod_ckGfA&gclsrc=aw.ds
I just bought these Saturday at Cabelas. I just used them for the first time while shooting my g43 and I loved being able to hear the birds and crickets and leaves rustling in the wind and then just pull up and shoot whenever I was ready. Muffs did great at dampening the noise. Am very happy with these and early use review I would recommend them. I have always used nonelectronic muffs so I am used to shooting with muffs but these are much thinner profile than my usuals and I really like that as well. I do alot of waterfowl hunting so I am expecting to use these in the blind for protection from the volley of shotgun blasts.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
... I loved being able to hear the birds and crickets and leaves rustling in the wind and then just pull up and shoot whenever I was ready. Muffs did great at dampening the noise.
And, THAT is the key! ;):thumbsup:

Whether a shooter spends $50 for electronic muffs that sound a bit 'tinny' or $400 for muffs that sound 'realistic', in my opinion, the important thing is that 'the shooter can hear'! ;)

Well said! :D

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
5,920 Posts
I love the Howard Leight Impact Pros. Shooting indoors, I need inners with the Impact Sports. These are the best I've found. They are large for long guns, but great for handguns.

·
Registered
411 Posts
For action pistol venues (especially if you run USPSA Open Division) and 3 gun, with a comp'd rifle, the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X is flat out the best. But they come with a price to match. My kid got these when he first started in competition and claims he can hear a Glock reset 2 bays over.... If I were buying new electrics today, that would be the one. But I have been running the 3M Peltor Tac 6's over the neck(can be reversed), since I first got one as match product more than 20 years ago, and have gone thru 3 sets in 20 years. 2 were replaced under warranty and then picked up another one as match product. They work fine with AR-15's setup with compensators.

+ 1 MSA Sordin, best ear pro on the market. Well worth the price tag.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't know ear protectors were electronic??

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts