Glock Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum is for info on gunsmithing Glocks, but I was just wondering if anyone had info on the best online course to take? My wife is isn't working at the present, but is interested in doing this part-time or maybe full time. Also, I need some info on how to get certified as a firearms instructor. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The firearms instructor part I would suggest starting with taking NRA shooting classes and then take the NRA instructor course, primarly because a lot of the general population is going to be looking for a NRA certified instructor. Having the certification is what matters, and you can teach NRA courses, or you can teach your own. She'll need a mentor though. She'll get one, to a point, with the NRA instructor course, but an instructor class doesn't make one a good instructor; neither does being a good shooter. You need to be both, which includes diagnosing and correcting shooter errors.

As far as gunsmithing, everything I've read has said the same thing; gunsmithing is not something you can learn on the internet. You need hands on training and then you need to apprentice with someone, to learn how to do it in the real world. Many of the gun makers offer armorer's classes, and those are probably sufficient for doing repairs on current/recent production guns. That's not gunsmithing. Gunsmithing includes customization, making parts, and even making guns from the ground up.

Some armorer's classes, like Glock's, are not open to the public. They're open to law enforcement and their open to GSSF members. Joining GSSF is easy and cheap, so that's not a big deal, just an extra step. Sig offers classes, but the venues are limited, as they are with many other manufacturers, so there's travel involved. Sig also has multiple courses, of different levels, for different platforms. They have classes on the P series, the SP series, their long guns...there's a lot involved.

There are only a handful of actual gunsmithing schools. From what I've read, basically Colorado and Pennsylvania have the only two worth going to, and they're each 18-24 month programs.

Unless there's a local business that she can work for to gain experience, it's going to take a lot of time and effort to do this and actually make any money at it. And doing it right, of course. Teaching bad habits or working on guns and not doing something correctly that later causes damage or injury...

ETA: The American Gunsmithing Institute is the closest thing to an "online" class I've seen. It's actually a bunch of DVDs and they provide a "certification", but their DVDs, at least the couple I've seen, basically teach you how to take a gun apart and put it back together. That's it. There's nothing in them to teach you modifications. There might be in other videos of theirs; I don't know. Realistically, though, how can you really learn to work on a gun from a video? Even if you had one of every gun on hand to follow along with, you're not really learning anything more than an armorer would learn, and probably less.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The firearms instructor part I would suggest starting with taking NRA shooting classes and then take the NRA instructor course, primarly because a lot of the general population is going to be looking for a NRA certified instructor. Having the certification is what matters, and you can teach NRA courses, or you can teach your own. She'll need a mentor though. She'll get one, to a point, with the NRA instructor course, but an instructor class doesn't make one a good instructor; neither does being a good shooter. You need to be both, which includes diagnosing and correcting shooter errors.

As far as gunsmithing, everything I've read has said the same thing; gunsmithing is not something you can learn on the internet. You need hands on training and then you need to apprentice with someone, to learn how to do it in the real world. Many of the gun makers offer armorer's classes, and those are probably sufficient for doing repairs on current/recent production guns. That's not gunsmithing. Gunsmithing includes customization, making parts, and even making guns from the ground up.

Some armorer's classes, like Glock's, are not open to the public. They're open to law enforcement and their open to GSSF members. Joining GSSF is easy and cheap, so that's not a big deal, just an extra step. Sig offers classes, but the venues are limited, as they are with many other manufacturers, so there's travel involved. Sig also has multiple courses, of different levels, for different platforms. They have classes on the P series, the SP series, their long guns...there's a lot involved.

There are only a handful of actual gunsmithing schools. From what I've read, basically Colorado and Pennsylvania have the only two worth going to, and they're each 18-24 month programs.

Unless there's a local business that she can work for to gain experience, it's going to take a lot of time and effort to do this and actually make any money at it. And doing it right, of course. Teaching bad habits or working on guns and not doing something correctly that later causes damage or injury...

ETA: The American Gunsmithing Institute is the closest thing to an "online" class I've seen. It's actually a bunch of DVDs and they provide a "certification", but their DVDs, at least the couple I've seen, basically teach you how to take a gun apart and put it back together. That's it. There's nothing in them to teach you modifications. There might be in other videos of theirs; I don't know. Realistically, though, how can you really learn to work on a gun from a video? Even if you had one of every gun on hand to follow along with, you're not really learning anything more than an armorer would learn, and probably less.
Thanks for the great info! A lot to consider! Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.