Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Glock 17 gen 5 owner. I need to start getting holsters for this firearm for concealed carry. Looking for shoulder rig, IWB, SOB and strong side OWB holsters. I'm wondering if there is a preference here for certain holster makers for Glocks?

·
Registered
579 Posts
When I got the M19 for the grandson I got him an Alien Gear Shapeshift holster which he really liked because he could change it around and set it up for several types of carrying but when he added suppressor height sights and a lazer-flashlight combo it would no longer work so after contacting several holster makers we settled one of Detroit Holsters' Hastings OWB model holsters and it's worked out just fine.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Super Moderator
64,897 Posts
You need to give serious consideration on what is most important for your needs. Comfort, amount of holster material, concealment. Everyone is built different and has different needs. Many of us are going on 2-3 decades of this stuff and have drawers filled with failed attempts to get it right. For me, I like sticky holsters.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Concealment Express (Rounded Gear) holsters.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Who are you asking that and what is your point?
I'm asking the OP. If he's never carried a gun before then there's certain questions he needs to ask himself to decide what kind of holster he needs. Is he going to be carrying IWB or OWB. Open carry or concealed. Living in South Florida will have different carry needs than living in Alaska. Does he spend most his time indoors or out? Is he fat, skinny somewhere in between. Before he gets a holster recommendation from some stranger on the internet that knows nothing about him or his needs, he needs to answer these questions for himself. Someone in the thread suggested a OWB kydex holster. If the OP lives in South Florida and spends a lot of time outdoors that holster will not work for him. We don't have Open carry, except under very specific circumstances, and he probably won't be wearing enough clothes out in the Florida heat to conceal an OWB Glock 17.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The usual suspects. Alien gear, crossbreed. Both pretty reasonable for what you get. Glock holsters are pretty cheezie looking, but have a following for OWB carry. I have something like this and it is great for retention, but you better make sure what you have because it won't let go till the button is pushed. OWB Retention Holster
I have used a TactiPack for over a decade now, and had to have it replaced twice. After about 5-6(ish) years the kydex has cracked. Not to fear. Contact them via email, send it in, and a new one comes a week or two later. They have a lifetime warranty and seem to mean it. It is hard to describe the level of satisfaction I have with them. The initial purchase took a while, but they warned of it. I think it was a one man show with another full time job at the time. Turn around times have shortened dramatically, so lead times probably have as well.
As comfortable as Alien and Crossbreed are, and I have both, the Fusion Pack is my #1 every day go to. It is more comfortable, and retention is about the same. Probably why it only lasts about 5-6 years.
I have a local made little holster that is Cardura, or the like. Very solid, comfortable, and has stood the test, but I don't know if the guy is even still alive. He made some fine utility holsters though.
Here is another consideration. 12 O'clock being your belly button, keep it between 10 and 2. Take it from someone who had terrible shoulder injuries and took over a year to recover, but still suffer weakness in some positions. Body mechanics give you strength up front, but getting to the sides and trying to move to the back, you lose it fast and can be restricted rather easily, be it intentional or not.
I could always reach between 10 and 2 no matter how bad things were. A consideration I never thought of before, but got to experience first hand.
Happy Shopping

Reactions: j102
1 - 20 of 34 Posts