Best CCW (IWB) holster

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by lxlate, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lxlate

lxlate New Member

I am new to shooting and carrying what would you recommend as a everyday holster?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Lxlate (did I spell that right?):

Perhaps a reason you have not had any replies is because a person's choice of holster is an intensely personal choice. Given the basics that a holster must (1)cover the trigger guard and protect the trigger, and (2)somehow retain the weapon and prevent it from falling out, aside from that, the sky is the limit.

Personally, I am partial to Serpa holsters by Blackhawk. They have a positive retention system that requires you press with your trigger finger on the release tab, and as you draw the weapon from the holster, your trigger finger is correctly (safely) positioned on the frame above the trigger but outside of the trigger guard. With practice (lots of it by now!) I can draw and reholster my Glock without ever looking at the holster, and this is important: you do not take your eyes off of the threat as you unholster. I tell people (my opinion): if you need to look at your holster to draw it, you need to practice some more.

Unfortunately, Serpas are OWB (outside the waistband), so concealment requires I cover it with an outergarment. No problem in the winter, but it limits what I can wear in the summer. My love handles preclude my ever being comfortable with an IWB (inside the waistband) holster, of any kind.

MikeP, a Forum Member, has some sharp Kydex holsters for OWB, you can hit him up. Available for different Glocks and in different colors, too!

You may also want to specify a few more things: where are you located (this is related to whether or not you can legally CC -concealed carry, or like some, are doomed to OC -open carry), and what kinds of activities would you be doing with an "everyday holster". Just a friendly suggestion....

Shoot safe!

3. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

To and what happysniper1 said for a good IWB holster there are a few out there but I am partial to N82Tactical holsters. They have a very comfortable holster that can be worn all day and the holster protects the weapon from body sweat when worn. It is of light weight material and there are different variations to the holster which range is price from 40 to 70 dollars. Check them out at www.N82Tactical.com.

As happysniper1 also said mikeP and his friend make a kydex holster. I have not purchased one , but will soon and they look to be of good quality. They are members on here also and are very knowledgeable on the holster. Hope this helps you.

4. lxlate

lxlate New Member

I live in south africa, there are no rules that forces or limits you in terms of the method of carry, i am more interested in getting forums opinions on defferent types of IWB holsters.

5. Trotac

Trotac New Member

My preferred IWB holster is my own Trotac Trojan Horse. It is 100% Kydex and has wide, contoured wings that distribute the weight and spread the load a bit. I wear the pictured holster for 10-12 hours a day and I hardly know its there.
    As far as I know, shipping to South Africa shouldn't be a problem.

Attached Files:

6. IWB with a light? :confused: Maybe it works.... I dunno, but it just seems like a lot to have IWB. Never thought of it really. I would just have to try it before passing total judgement.

7. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

What Glock is pictured?

8. lxlate

lxlate New Member

Thanks for your comments. Most of my activities would include walking around on sites and general office work and lots of driving.

9. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but the 26 doesn't have a rail system for attachments. I was thinking it was a compact of some sort with a grip reduction ( shortened in the length ).

10. It hit me after I posted that, that it wasn't a 26/27 because of the rail. :D ooops.;)

11. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

No worries , yeah I wish it had a rail, lol. : )

12. Would you actually want IWB with that factor involved?

13. lxlate

lxlate New Member

A lot of my driving involves either lots of short distances or a long drive on one day. When i am not driving i want to CC for my safety

14. 100% completely understand. That's why any of us want to CC.

They may or may not be for you but you can check this link on my site that has two video reviews at the bottom of the page. First one is just a general unboxing, close ups and general impressions. The second is opinions after wearing all day. Skip to 5 minute mark on the second vid.

http://www.defensiveholsters.com/PHOTOS.html

I think the vids give a better over all view over just pics.

15. lxlate

lxlate New Member

Thanks will check it out

16. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Lxlate, just a couple of questions for my curiosity:

Do you shoot right-handed or left-handed?

Do you drive right-hand drive (as in Europe and Japan) or left-hand drive (as in the US)? Meaning is the driver's seat on the right or on the left?

As you can tell, I know little about SA....

17. lxlate

lxlate New Member

All of the above will be right. We drive on the right and i shoot on the right. Dont worry it is the dark side of the world:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  18. lxlate

lxlate New Member

Where in us are you?

19. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

@lxlate for the area you live in how is the crime, types. Forgive me I also do not know to much about your country. : )

20. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Northern Nevada, along the border with California, near Lake Tahoe.

Thanks for the illumination on driving and all....I never pass up an opportunity to learn new things.:)