Best CCW for mother with a toddler?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by tressa_wi, Mar 19, 2012.

1. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

Im a mother of four and one is a toddler. My question is what is a safe gun to carry? What is the best place on my body to carry because I still have to pick her up at times?

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

The best gun would be which ever one you are comfortable and confident with as well as being accurate with. please tell us more about what do you currently shoot how do you want to carry holster purse etc

3. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

The only advice I can give is carry it where you have control of the weapon at all times. For me that means on my person, not in a bag or a purse that can get left somewhere where she may access it. If you pick her up I'd probably carry at 4-5 o'clock on your waist so she can't haphazardly get her hands on it when you pick her up. I don't know maybe someone else has a better idea.

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

small of the back inside the waste band is probably best location of carry for a mom of a toddler, just my opinion of course, but thats the one spot on your body least grabbed kicked or bumped by a toddler :)

The level of safety for any gun is always determined by who has the gun, not what type of gun it is. I know thats hard to swallow for alot of people, but no modern halfassed quality firearm will shoot until you squeezes/pull/push the trigger. If you are not comfortable with a Glock's lack of finger/thumb operated safety switch you could get the slider lock. http://www.siderlock.com/ Or there are countless other quality firearms out there with a safety switch.

I'd suggest getting to a range that rents alot of pistols, find whats comfortable for you and stick to it.

5. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

The only gun I've shot us my husbands XDM 9mm. I like shooting it but its too bug for me to cc. The gun I'm looking at right now is the Bersa Thunder cc or Bersa Thunder Plus. Thank you for the advice regarding the position of the of the gun.

6. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Hey tressa. I came to the firearms community after my children where grown so i don't have personal experience with this issue but I can recommend a couple of resources you may want to take a look at. The Cornered Cat by Kathy Jackson (both book and website) is a great resource for women. You can also email her from the website with questions. She's great. Another good resource is the Female and Armed blog by Lynn Finch. She awesome too. Both of these ladies are instructors and have a lot of experience. Let us know what you decide. I would love to hear about it. May be an issue for me one day if I ever have grands. ;-)

7. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

Wow thank you GAgal I will look into it. I'll be sure to post my decision I'm sure there are others with the same questions!

8. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

Bhale187 thanks for website I went to youtube to check it out and the had a video. When I get my first glock that is something I want on it!

9. yeah... Ill probably get banned for saying this but I got my old lady a Ruger LCP .380 for her carry and she loves it. Very small and relatively low cost. I carry a G27 and there is almost no way she could carry it comfortably. She tries... but I always end up with it. Anything but the briar patch... lol

I wonder how many folks will actually get that joke.

10. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

The Bersa 380 is my wife's current "most comfortable/best fitting" gun, and it IS an accurate, reliable shooter. The Bersa Thunder is a very good choice if you are comfortable with it.

Walther has a good 380 also, but the Bersa is a much smaller package, yet very comfortable for a woman. I think you should check out the Bersa further.

Note: Initially, I didn't think much of the Bersa 380 because it seemed to have all kinds of feeding issues. But come to find out, the magazine will accept one more round than it was designed for. If you load one round too many, it will jam every time. But putting the correct number of rounds in the magazine totally cleared up every issue I had with the gun. It's even got a nice little dovetail to prevent you from being pinched while naturally allowing you to hold as high on the weapon as possible for maximum stability and accuracy. The Bersa Thunder is a good little gun. Feild strips easily - low maintenance - light muzzle-flip. It should work good for you inside the waistband in the small of your back or very close to that.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  11. Matthew780

Great product by SideLock! I'm getting two of them for my Glocks. I'm old school and this is just a little more peace of mind.

Not to be mis-understood... I have peace of mind with my Glocks already as long as the chamber is empty. With this trigger lock, I'd feel much better about carrying locked and loaded if the circumstances demanded it.

Great find, BHale. Thanks. :)

12. May want to check out this girls channel on you tube. She does very detailed reviews. Here are just a few examples.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68ILSzggTc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL5pqn3Eng&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

13. Matthew780

Good advise, Mike. I forgot how different the atmosphere for CC is for females compared to men. Looks like time watching those vids is time well spent for any female 1st timer.

14. I agree with Mike... Falia has a great channel with great advice..

One of my female friends started concealing this year and she has learned quite a bit from her channel.

15. Dont rule out Ruger LCP or LC9 as small affordable carry options.

16. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I recommend against the sliderlock, saf-t-block, or any other manual safety where you have to reach inside the trigger guard to disable it. It's a bad habit to touch the trigger at any time before you're actually intending to squeeze it. When the SHTF, you lose fine motor skills and tactile sensation. You're basically operating your gun with frostbitten hands in oven mitts, and you have to stick your finger inside the trigger guard before you place gun on target. That's a bad combination.

If you want an additional "manual" safety, I would suggest looking at a gun designed with grip safeties that are automatically disabled when you draw. My personal preference is to avoid any safety that can have me aiming and squeezing the trigger, only to never get a "bang". Manually operated switch safeties are useful for cavalrymen on horseback - if the horse starts to act up, you thumb it on immediately, lest you be thrown with a "hot" weapon. In my opinion, they have no place in a personal defense weapon, but to each his/her own.

Holster choice is going to be your biggest concern, so you'll probably want to pick an extremely popular gun for the extensive aftermarket support. I love the Taurus TCP, but it's just different enough that form-fitting holsters for the LCP/P3AT don't work very well. (The LCP is a nice little gun, BTW)

With a kid poking and prodding, you might want some sort of automatic retention, or velcro straps rather than snaps. My kids have managed to inadvertently unsnap the strap on one of my ankle holsters a couple times. Velcro straps are less likely to become inadvertently disengaged.

You might consider concealment shirts or belly bands in conjunction with a pocket holster or a trigger guard holster like the MIC.

If you're like any mom I've ever met, the waistband is pretty much out of the question as a toddler probably spends a fair bit of time riding on your hips. Small-of-back might work. If you're not breast feeding and you're using a small pocket pistol, I'd suggest something like the aptly-named "Flashbang" holster: http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flashbang_Holster/Welcome.html

[​IMG]

Whatever you decide, let us know how it works out, good or bad!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

These are great videos. They really helped me figure out how to dress for carry.

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Had a lady in one of our FA classes who had a Flashbang holster. She had a Kahr PM9, and there was no way in heck that anyone would've figured she had a gun on her. Of course, it helped that the Kahr had a realy slim profile.

19. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

Mike P when I decided to purchase a gun I went straight to Youtube and found Falia. Thank you for recommending her videos I learned so much from her! While I was on YouTube I checked out the Ruger LCP and LC9 they are nice guns but since this will be my first purchase Safety is a priority for me. As I get use to having a gun on me then I will really look at putting the Ruger LC9 on my wish list.
    rivalarrival I see the point your making never really thought about that. Wisconsin is very cold in the winter...you really gave me something to think about. Regarding the flashbang holster as I said Im new to this and I think that is more for some seasoned shoter. To be honest Im scared the gun would go off while I have my child in my arms. (Maybe Im a little paranoid) I do like the holsters they have on the website.
    GAgal I love the website you recommended!
    Happysniper1 I checked out the Kahr PM9 very nice another to put on my wish list! lol

20. Tressa_wi, in the beginning a lot of people are afraid of that but guns now a days really will not go off unless the trigger is pressed... Look at the flash bang holster again, You'll notice that the trigger is covered and protected....

The kydex part of that holster has a pretty good grip on the weapon so while its in the holster not even toddler fingers will go in there.