Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
"Best" is quite the subjective word. Very high marks come to HST 124 grain. You can add +P and 147 to that if you want.
On the occasions before the Pandemic, 124 +P Bonded Golden Saber was one of my favorites. Old school and it benefits from the +P. Gold Dot, the original, not that G2 trash benefits from the +P as well.
Reviewers don't like it, but I find it in the wheel house for my expectations, 147 gr. Ranger. I shoot it from a 4 inch barrel, so it may really struggle with a 3 inch, FWIW. Not the T, which some like but I don't really care for the gel results.
SB pistols benefit from +P velocity over the large scale, but HST seems to do well even in short barrels, FWIW.
All the above seem to be accurate enough and reliable enough on the sending end, all but the G2 have a good track record in terminals. I've seen the results of all but the HST and the G2 in life. Career choices, and I was off the streets when the HST became popular and long before SPEER messed up one of the best things they ever invented.
Welcome to the mayhem and happy researching.

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
As Olga 17 said, todays choices can be limited, my top choices are Federal HST,Speer Gold Dot, and Hornandy Critical Duty and Sig Sauer Elite Performance V Crown.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
48,537 Posts
As Olga 17 said, todays choices can be limited, my top choices are Federal HST,Speer Gold Dot, and Hornandy Critical Duty and Sig Sauer Elite Performance V Crown.
Hornady Critical Defense is formulated specifically for shorter barrels.
Critical Duty more for 4” + barrels.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense is formulated specifically for shorter barrels.
Critical Duty more for 4” + barrels.
Talking about the Hornady critical defense, and it is a good round, just remember there are two. There is a 115 grain, that is very adequate and even leaning to top shelf.

Then there is a 90 grain. Stay away from that one if they still make it. Very underperforming, and seemingly marketed toward women. The pink Breast Cancer Logo is on the box, or was.
Why do people hate women so much?

I have a FN that chokes on HP, so the Critical line is tailor made for it. Much better than the Expanding FMJ I was using, because there just wasn't really anything else as an option other than TC.

That is hard to find in 9MM. Good thing the FN is a .40, LOL

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
Talking about the Hornady critical defense, and it is a good round, just remember there are two. There is a 115 grain, that is very adequate and even leaning to top shelf.

Then there is a 90 grain. Stay away from that one if they still make it. Very underperforming, and seemingly marketed toward women. The pink Breast Cancer Logo is on the box, or was.

I have a FN that chokes on HP, so the Critical line is tailor made for it. Much better than the Expanding FMJ I was using, because there just wasn't really anything else as an option other than TC.

I should have posted weights as I only use 124 gr. or 147 gr when it comes to 9 MM

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I should have posted weights as I only use 124 gr. or 147 gr when it comes to 9 MM
9 has a gauntlet of ammo weights. Some good, some not so much.
There used to be a company called Hirtenberger (sp) that made a 100 grain SP, they called it, IIRC. That stuff was a screamer. 1400 fps from a G19 and made the thing run like a sewing machine.
It didn't have penetration problems and seemed to do well terminally. The nose spread very little because that is all it could do, and I don't know what else it did, but didn't exit when the officer shot the BG. He lived, but it was sketchy for a while. I asked the surgeon what it did in there, he just said it made a mess about as bad as he had ever seen.
I still have a few of those.

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
9 has a gauntlet of ammo weights. Some good, some not so much.
There used to be a company called Hirtenberger (sp) that made a 100 grain SP, they called it, IIRC. That stuff was a screamer. 1400 fps from a G19 and made the thing run like a sewing machine.
It didn't have penetration problems and seemed to do well terminally. The nose spread very little because that is all it could do, and I don't know what else it did, but didn't exit when the officer shot the BG. He lived, but it was sketchy for a while. I asked the surgeon what it did in there, he just said it made a mess about as bad as he had ever seen.
I still have a few of those.
I years ago got a hold of a case of their SMG ammo,now that was some 9 MM closest thing it reminded me of was the Israeli military SMG ammunition back in the 1980's

·
Glockin’ since 1993
48,537 Posts

I watched the Paul Harrel video on that Lite ammo. I’m guessing it was more marketing department than results that brought that to store shelves.
As I tell people there’s trade offs with most guns and ammo. There’s no free lunch and even if you get everything right there’s no guarantees.
Just try to stack the odds to your side best as you can.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I watched the Paul Harrel video on that Lite ammo. I’m guessing it was more marketing department than results that brought that to store shelves.
As I tell people there’s trade offs with most guns and ammo. There’s no free lunch and even if you get everything right there’s no guarantees.
Just try to stack the odds to your side best as you can.
I never saw Paul's review, but I'll be it was thorough.
In gel tests it performed poorly. about 10 inches of penetration IIRC. Might have been less, but that sticks in my empty head.
We like what we like, and hope it does the job if it ever is called to it.
I think some of the reviewers get too hung up on this that or the perfect expansion. They lose sight, it seems, that 150% is "standard" and penetration is a zone, and if you don't hit it, it ain't getting broke. No matter how fast, it isn't a rifle round.
For the expansion, yes, bigger is better, but I will take penetration with a bit less expansion. Just me.
In the end, it would be great to find the magic bullet, but that just isn't going to happen. There do seem to be a few that are somewhat close, but still takes the loose nut pulling the trigger to do the real job.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
48,537 Posts
I never saw Paul's review, but I'll be it was thorough.
In gel tests it performed poorly. about 10 inches of penetration IIRC. Might have been less, but that sticks in my empty head.
We like what we like, and hope it does the job if it ever is called to it.
I think some of the reviewers get too hung up on this that or the perfect expansion. They lose sight, it seems, that 150% is "standard" and penetration is a zone, and if you don't hit it, it ain't getting broke. No matter how fast, it isn't a rifle round.
For the expansion, yes, bigger is better, but I will take penetration with a bit less expansion. Just me.
In the end, it would be great to find the magic bullet, but that just isn't going to happen. There do seem to be a few that are somewhat close, but still takes the loose nut pulling the trigger to do the real job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would like to know what’s the best ammo 26 and 48. Thx y’all!!! Blessings!!!!
Greetings and welcome to G.F. from Sun City, AZ. Best for what, range or self defense? I use 115 grain FMJ for range and fun in my 19 gen5 and 43X MOS both with optics (one red dot the other green dot). Less cost and I have lots of it, and reload it. For self defense in my non MOS 43X, that I EDC, for range I use 124 grain FMJ and for self defense I carry 124 grain Hornady Critical Duty. Shoot as much as you can and find what works best for YOU. I have carried 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense but like the extra punch of 124 grains so switched for my EDC.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I years ago got a hold of a case of their SMG ammo,now that was some 9 MM closest thing it reminded me of was the Israeli military SMG ammunition back in the 1980's
Here is a pic of the stuff. Not sure when, but late 90's early 2000's the company went out and sold the name. The new owners aren't up to the standard of the old stuff, by a long shot.

Office equipment Font Metal Fashion accessory Auto part

Rectangle Wood Font Nameplate Signage

Attachments

Reactions: Danzig
1 - 20 of 30 Posts