Glock Forum banner

Best .22 lr range pistol for the money.

23K views 92 replies 42 participants last post by  Dan75719 
#1 ·
I love shooting my .40 Glock 22 and 27. With .40 being the caliber carried by all my local law enforcement, I am sometimes the happy recipient of hand-me-down range ammo. Even with the free ammo my range time is not where I would like it to be because of finances (and saving for additional guns ). I would like to augment my shooting time with a .22 lr pistol. Can anyone give a recommendation about which pistol to get and which ones to avoid?

#55 ·
TXGlock19 said:
Picked up a Ruger SR22 yesterday - all the reports seem to be good - will let you know how it shoots.
Eager for the range report.

#60 ·
Jsloyer said:
Just got a S&W M&P 15-22 put close to 2000 rounds through it had a few stove pipes but nothing I didn't expect with the cheaper ammo its a great gun and fun as hell to shoot
I also have the s&w 15-22. It is so much fun to shoot. Best ammo for it is the Winchester m-22 rounds. They are excellent in the 15-22 and perfect so far in my Walter p22.

#61 · (Edited)
Here's my two. The Ruger MkIII was purchased used from the original owner. He had four mags, a nice range bag, the AimPoint and the original box and papers. He was asking $500 at the local Gun Show, talked him down on Sunday afternoon to $425. I sent it off volquartsen for a trigger job, ejector and the grip. This thing shoots great!! A real nail driver.

The other is a High Standard Model C. I purchased this about 5 years ago with a couple of other High Standards. Was home on mid-tour leave and hit a Gun Show, the owner was a big High Standard collector, but was clearing out his collection due to health reasons. I paid around $600 for it, was really liking the other two, but he made me a deal on all three. I think he was just trying to clear out what he could and go home. I was thinking that I would trade this for something else, but this thing shoots FANTASTIC!!!!! I know I shouldn't, she is just to nice, but plinking away with 22 shorts is just so much fun, In fact, it's more fun than cheating on your wife with an 18 year old!! Ha ha!

#63 ·
sfcjcl said:
Here's my MKIII and the High Standard Model C.
Nice, where you get the scope from? I've got the SW 22A. Very picky with ammo. Only use .22LR CCI mini mags round nose. Doesn't like hollow points. It sticks in the mag otherwise. I stay away from gold bullet brand remingtons. has too many failure to fire. Start when that happens. I stand there like a sheep... Waiting fir a hang fire... But nothing happens.. Got this from pic from the Web.

Attachments

#64 ·
Ive got a Ruger Mark II, love that gun! I could shoot that all day long. Last box of Federal 555 had a lot of ftf & fte. Wife got me a box of 525 Winchester, shooting 100 rounds Sunday and only had 1 fte. Also have a Savage Arms 22 bolt action. Wife wants a .22 now. I saw an ad for a Stoeger Luger .22, says its been in storage for 20 years though....he says he would take $150 for it and its in fair shape....also saying that fair shape was below good shape. Not in to paying $150 for a fair shape gun! Hopefully getting that FFL soon and don't have to search so hard for a good deal on a gun!

#65 ·
sean_ma said:
Has anyone tried or owned a Ruger SR22? I have been checking this out. But wasn't sure how reliable or how easy it is to strip down.

Interested since it looks pretty okay. And more expensive 22 rounds are dirt cheap compared to the higher calibers. Range time with my 9mm is getting expensive for me. I don't know how other people with bigger calibers cope with the prices! Haha
I bought one two weeks ago, just haven't shot yet. Plan on going this Friday for mine and the wife's "date night". Have heard good reports. Will let you know.

#66 ·
I have conversion kits for a Glock and Sig P220. Just replace the slide, and you have the closest feel to your primary pistol. I also have a Walther P22 which is not too bad. I'm getting a Sig Sauer 522 this week.

#67 ·
I have conversion kits for a Glock and Sig P220. Just replace the slide, and you have the closest feel to your primary pistol. I also have a Walther P22 which is not too bad. I'm getting a Sig Sauer 522 this week.
What brand conversion do you have for glock? Any issues with cheap bulk ammo?

#69 ·
Glad I found this post! I have a Glock 19 and have ordered a Ruger SR22 from the pawn/gun shop where I bought my Glock. I've researched all I can and the Walther P22 is supposed to be more ammo finicky with ammo than the Ruger. Can't wait till my Glock has a baby sister.
Please give us a range report when you get her in.

I'm stuck on the fence of what 22lr pistol to buy or what 22lr conversion to buy for a glock

#71 ·
sean_ma said:
Nice, where you get the scope from? I've got the SW 22A. Very picky with ammo. Only use .22LR CCI mini mags round nose. Doesn't like hollow points. It sticks in the mag otherwise. I stay away from gold bullet brand remingtons. has too many failure to fire. Start when that happens. I stand there like a sheep... Waiting fir a hang fire... But nothing happens.. Got this from pic from the Web.
Got the scope with the MKIII. Not sure where the original owner got it.

#73 ·
My Glock 19, sitting next to its new little bro...

View attachment 3385
I have the same pair, with Ruger Mk III as the third amigo. (Actually there are three other siblings and a new addition on the way). Saw your post about ammo. The only thing my S&W 22A had trouble with was the Rem Gold Bullet bulk. You may have a break-in period to deal with. Shoot some decent stuff for a while (500?) and it'll probably be less finicky. Good luck. I love both the G19 and the .22s.

Attachments

#74 ·
SteveC said:
I have the same pair, with Ruger Mk III as the third amigo. (Actually there are three other siblings and a new addition on the way). Saw your post about ammo. The only thing my S&W 22A had trouble with was the Rem Gold Bullet bulk. You may have a break-in period to deal with. Shoot some decent stuff for a while (500?) and it'll probably be less finicky. Good luck. I love both the G19 and the .22s.
Hey thanks, i'm only using the CCI mini mag.. Non HP's for the 22 right now.. Its been okay for a bit. I think you're right. I probably needed to break it in a bit before going to done other ammo. its getting a little better. Only gone through around 300 rounds on the SW. Need more, luckily its cheap ammo. I can shoot this all day!

Talking about breaking it in, got some range time tomorrow! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.