Best 1911?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by bugsdaddy30, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bugsdaddy30

bugsdaddy30 New Member

I am thinking about getting a 1911 but I don't know which is the best bang for my buck. I'm not looking at spending thousands of dollars on one. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

What are you wanting to spend?

$400 Rock Island is great bang for the buck, no frills, but reliable

$600-$800 Used Kimber, used colt, new Para Ordanance

$900+ New Kimber

3. bfish

bfish Member

considering an RIA but in 9MM any thoughts?

4. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

If I were going to buy a 1911 again I would pick up the Springfield range officer. A lot of gun for a reasonable price.

5. Metro Arms American Classic is the best bang for your buck 1911. Fit and finish on this gun is impeccable and for $479, what I paid for my American Classic Commander, it's a steal. I don't like Kimber. They are grossly overpriced for what you get. Any 1911 manufacturer who uses the MIM process on their weapons should not be charging premium prices. Springfield Armory makes a superior 1911 to Kimber but they cost a little more. Go check out an American Classic.

6. bhale187

And there you have it, a range of internet opinions ;)

7. well i'd like to think that i have more than an "internet opinion" since i've owned and traded off quite a few 1911s, including the ones i mentioned. The Rock Island Armory is a decent gun but it's really a basic 1911, it was ok, i had one. I've owned 2 Kimbers, and they were not that great for the price. I bought each of those based on "internet opinions" and wished like hell I had never bought them. I also own a Dan Wesson CBOB (one of the best handguns i've ever shot), Ruger SR1911 (not that great), a Para Ordnance SF-14-A (deployment weapon so I'll keep it but as a shooter it's a pile of crap), a Springfield Champion Operator (love this gun), and the Metro Arms American Classic Commander (best bang for your buck). I've owned a total of 20 different 1911s and shot each of them extensively. I believe i have more than an "internet opinion" on the subject.

8. bugsdaddy30

bugsdaddy30 New Member

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at not going over $1000.

9. bhale187

No offense, every opinion on the internet is just that, an internet opinion. In your mind your opinion is based on fact, in my mind my opinion is fact based on my experiences. In the end it's all just the postings of opinions by strangers who no one really knows if they are a true expert on any given subject or just a keyboard commando.

10. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

Springfield GI MIL SPEC.
    Or Taurus 1911

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I have one of the 1 of 500 SA Range Officers. Good bang for the buck. They put a little extra detail in this model and kept the price down.

12. NvRBanArms

NvRBanArms Member

Top right. Nuff said.

Attached Files:

13. MikeDeltaRomeo

MikeDeltaRomeo New Member

If you have the means get a Night Hawk.

14. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

I second the Taurus and Springfield!!! My Taurus went through a 3500 round 3 day class without a hiccup.... My Springfield has been through 2500 rounds and never jammed once... I love them both!! Just remember magazines are the best upgrade!!

15. SamEngel1984

SamEngel1984 New Member

I've never had a problem with my Taurus 1911 either. I brought that one with me on one of my last road trips too. The baggage handlers at the MBS Airport in Saginaw, MI liked it too.

16. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Taurus PT1911 was my first pistol. I ended up selling it. I sure do miss it :(

17. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

The thing I like most about my Taurus is its loaded with all the goodies and is well below $1000... Not disappointed in my decision at all!!!!

18. bugsdaddy30

bugsdaddy30 New Member

Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. I am going to go look at 1911 sometime this week and I will definitely keep all your opinions in mind. Thank again to everyone.

19. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

I myself wanted a good well known 1911, but just couldn't afford them. Colt, Springfield Armory, Sig are all great, but just too much when making a small income. I picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical .45 ACP for $501 otd. It shoots just fine, like other 1911s for a fraction of the cost. I would suggest you do your research on what you're looking for in a 1911. Many companies offer 1911s in many calibers as well. Just picked up a .22 version for my gf. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on. Here's a pic of mine for reference with my only upgrade so far is the Hogue wraparounds and a stock pic. Mine also came with the ambi safety.

Attached Files:

20. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Can you replace the sights on this model?