Beretta CX4 9mm or no?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by sean_ma, May 10, 2012.

1. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

Hi just seeing what everyone thinks about the Beretta CX4 9mm, is it worth the money?

Or just go for a bushmaster ar15 type 223 rifle? As they are around the same price bracket, which I think is around $800. I'm looking for a semi auto rifle or carbine.

But then you have the ammo price differences. And then you have the comparison of effective range according to the caliber of the round. But which rifle/carbine will have better build quality for that price?

Decisions decisions... Any advice or insight would be great..

I know I know I want everything... cheap round. Accuracy.... main use is target practice. Like to also maybe go to a rifle range? Maybe?

Just like to see everyone's 2 cents please. Cheaper ammo or be able to have a longer effective shooting range?? There are just so many parameters i've left out.. Brain Overload! Just had to get this question out before I go to bed.. Been bugging me all day.

Thanks!

2. cvitter

cvitter New Member

LOL, I just started looking at the CX4. The idea of a carbine that takes 9MM rounds is appealing to me for some reason and the CX4 is a cool looking gun in my book (especially since I have a Baikal MP161K which looks pretty similar to the CX4).

A couple of things that might keep me from getting the CX4:
    1. Magazines - it would be so much better if it took Glock magazines since I have an ever growing collection of 9mm magazines for my 34 and 19 already.
    2. Not having the opportunity to shoot one before buying it. At about $800 retail I would like to try it before buying it.

The Kel Tec Sub2000 is somewhat more appealing from a cost and magazine perspective ($400 and it takes G17 magazines) but it certainly is not as cool looking as the CX4.

3. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

Damn you hit it on the head.

The keltec does look like a good deal. I've been looking around for a good all rounder. But I then started looking at other rifles and the price goes up.. Thinking oh the rounds are only 20 cents more expensive than a 9mm.. It goes up and up and then I end up looking at the AR15's for over a thousand..ouch.. haha.

That's one thing too, I'd like to reuse my glock mags. Don't want to start collecting different accessories. Guess i'm lazy haha.

Think I'll look at the keltec. The local gun range does have a cx4 for rental. Hummmm decision decisions. Driving me crazy just thinking about it. Well I have a couple of months to decide.. Probably when I'll make the big jump. Thanks!

4. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

I have a few G18 30 round mags for my G19.... humm keltec.....

5. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Get a 16 inch drop in barrel for your Glock and add the roni kit. That's what I am saving for ;)

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

LOL, went to local gun shop today and asked around about the CX4. Turns out that a friend of a friend is thinking of trading theirs in... if that happens and the price is right I might pick it up.

7. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

Oh that's nice.. Humm too many options... Which one to choose!

8. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

As the infamous Napolean Dynamite would say .... ”luckeeeee”

9. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I cant find any keltec sub2k for under $500. they are sold out everywhere

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Thread moved to the General Firearms subforum...

11. bagozzi46

bagozzi46 New Member

I would get the cx4 just because I'm a big sci fi nerd and it's the gun all the soldiers use on battlestar galactica.

12. cvitter

cvitter New Member

LOL, I love BSG. I actually forgot that the CX4 was in there. They used so many different real guns it is hard to keep track of without something like:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica

13. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

Thats too expensive for me man. Id rather get something else for that price

14. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Makes me regret selling my sub 2000 in 40. I remember when I was 19 and paid under $350 for it in BNIB. Don't remember why I sold it, but I regret it though.

15. Devinh2

Devinh2 Guest

I picked up a CX4 a couple months ago at a gun show for $500, and I totally love it. I use it with a 1x holo sight for close in stuff, and my ar for the longer stuff. Never had a problem with it, and it takes all beretta 92 and Taurus 92/99 type magazines. It is a fun gun and good for HD as well. Hope this helps, but probably just makes it worse!! :)

16. cvitter

cvitter New Member

LOL, it does, still waiting for one in 9mm to pop up for a price I am willing to pay. Some folks are asking silly money for theirs... it pays to research and watch prices on the various sites.

17. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

Do you need special paperwork for a cx4 or a carbine/rifle? Curious.. Thanks...I like the MP5 as well. But they are expensive.. Well in my books! :)

18. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I had one when they first came out, fun little gun, but the hicap after market mags would not feed worth a crap.

I'd go with a hipoint or keltec carbine, or just get an AR15.

19. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Not that I am aware of.

20. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

I've got one G19, and a Smith W 22A... very nice to shoot. Only thing is i'm itching to practice on a carbine or rifle. Just wondering if purchasing one in the future would entail a similar process to getting a pistol. Heard you have to pay a extra paper work fee for getting a longer firearm? I'm not sure probably a stupid newbie thought.