Beretta 96?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by littleposerfish, Mar 22, 2012.

1. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

i have a guy wanting to sell me a Beretta 96 .40 cal. anyone know antything about this model? i have been told it was just a 92 with a few little mods to turn it from a 9mm to a .40, but it fails a lot because it is not fully designed around the .40. any opinions or advice would be great

2. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I dont have any experince with the 96 but if it fails alot why get it...

3. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

I carried a Beretta 96D for 19 years OD. Great gun. Had two stovepipes in 19 years. Very accurate. Super fast to breakdown.

Now for the negatives. Heavy. Big. Some sharp edges. Getting harder to find holsters specific to the model. Will rust (including the mags). Long trigger reach with a long pull.

Loved the gun, but the start of arthritis made me decide to go to a 9MM.

All in all, a great gun.

4. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Does it shoot like the 92? I mean as in the way the trigger feels in all...shot a 92 but never a 96.

5. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

thanks for the info guys. yeah there where mixed reviews over this model. but the negatives outweighed the positives. but you just cant count on that till you talk to someone who has carried one for 19 years, right Kmurray96 lol. thanks. i got a chance to buy one for a great price, but was interested in getting gen 3 glock 23. i hate making a decisions, and i am a Glock die hard fan, but i do like to have other brands to play with too.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Not sure about the 96, but I do have extensive time with a 92.

7. fls348

fls348 New Member

I had a 96FS for years, never carried it, but was a great range gun and super fun to shoot. In the 10+ years I had it I can't ever remember an issue with it.

If you can get it for a good price go for it.